Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Buckethead
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #61 of 78
I think its just fantastic. I hardly expected it to sound anything like GNR, and sure, its dense and overproduced and protooled to death, but both the vinyl and LP sound great sonically, and the music is just awesome. Axl's vocals soar, the lyrics are as insane as ever, and the songwriting is just top notch, way better then I thought it would be.

Maybe its a case of I had very low expectations for this album, but I'm just thrilled with it.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening more closely to the album, I can see why so many don't like Chinese Democracy. It's very different from the usual Gn'R. It sounds more produced and polished, untypical for Gn'R. Axl's influence and the original Gn'R sound still surfaces in almost every track, however. Overall, the album sounds like Axl Rose crossed with the better half of Coldplay. I think this is especially apparent on "There Was A Time."

More like GnR meets Frank Zappa style wise........
You are correct that it doesn't sound like classic GnR because Buckethead has a very different sound fron Slash/Izzy, we are missing the burning soulful swagger of Slash and replacing it with a more neo classic progressive style of Buckethead. I am sure they kept the GnR name to sell more albums but this is not GnR for former fans and could use another band name. I am not in any hurry to go out and buy any Buckethead albums although I think he is talented at his style

Regardless I like the album, not great but very good by todays rock standards (I much prefer Appetite for Destruction however) and Axel tries hard but his vocals are noticeably diminished from 20 years ago. I guess I like the fact that they don't try to make Appetite II and have a new sound for GnR that works pretty well , couple weeks from now however this album will be quickly forgotten and Appetite will rightfully live on as a legendary album

Massive props for giving us 70+ minutes album, how often do you see that!

The gun is gone from GnR and replaced with a bucket, perhaps this new band should be "bucket of roses"

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that want the Guns N Roses sound, check out Velvet Revolver. They are average, nothing special, but then again the Guns N Roses sound is outdated at this point anyway.

For sure you get close to GnR sound with debut Velvet Revolver album, but sound never was as good overall and later went downhill from there. Slash's playing style is very recognizeable

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like GnR meets Frank Zappa style wise........
You are correct that it doesn't sound like classic GnR because Buckethead has a very different sound fron Slash, we are missing the burning soulful swagger of Slash and replacing it with a more neo classic progressive style of Buckethead. I am sure they kept the GnR name to sell more albums but this is not GnR for former fans and could use another band name. I am not in any hurry to go out and buy any Buckethead albums although I think he is talented at his style

Regardless I like the album, not great but very good by todays rock standards (I much prefer Appetite for Destruction however) and Axel tries hard but his vocals are noticeably diminished from 20 years ago. I guess I like the fact that they don't try to make Appetite II and have a new sound for GnR that works pretty well , couple weeks from now however this album will be quickly forgotten and Appetite will rightfully live on as a legendary album

The gun is gone from GnR and replaced with a bucket, perhaps this new band should be "bucket of roses"

Whilst I am in agreement with most of what you relay there- at least at this stage; I've only listened to 'Chinese Democracy' once through when it was up on MySpace last week (though I did listen to about another half of it's tracks a second time)- I'm gona be pedantic (
evil_smiley.gif
) and point out that, though much of the parts Buckethead put down during his tenure in the band make it onto the album released, he is no longer with G'N'R so 'Bucket of Roses' would not be appropriate. Also, though I don't yet have the album- I have ordered it but havn't recieved it yet- to look at the cover sleeves, Buckethead did get parts he layed down on the record but also there will be leadwork by 2-3 other guitarists on it (Bumblefoot and another I think). I'd be interested to actually become aware of the pieces Buckethead actually gets on the released cut, to identify them and to see just how much of the guitar work on the album is attributable to him.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead did get parts he layed down on the record but also there will be leadwork by 2-3 other guitarists on it (Bumblefoot and another I think). I'd be interested to actually become aware of the pieces Buckethead actually gets on the released cut, to identify them and to see just how much of the guitar work on the album is attributable to him.

Bloodsugar,,,,,,,,,
Good points you make about guitar by several people, I need to check the booklet.

Guitar credits on album:
-Paul Tobias
-Robin Finck
-Buckethead
-Ron Thal (aka bumblefoot)
-Chris Pitman
-Axl Rose
-Richard Fortus

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Bloodsugar,,,,,,,,,
Good points you make about guitar by several people, I need to check the booklet.

Guitar credits on album:
-Paul Tobias
-Robin Finck
-Buckethead
-Ron Thal (aka bumblefoot)
-Chris Pitman
-Axl Rose
-Richard Fortus

Woah! That's sgnificantly more than I was aware of! No wonder the album is musically thick and dense!
biggrin.gif
And Axl gets a shout...wasn't even aware he played guitar.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Another strong positive I must mention is the great sound quality acheived, rare for 2008 rock album and light years superior to new Metallica DM. The reason is found by checking the credits for mastering:

Bob Ludwig - Gateway Studios

This guy is one of the very best in the business, he is in extremely high demand because of his audiophile background, his work on the Rolling Stones
ABKCO label remasters 2002 is stunning among other examples. If you google his website for Gateway Studios and look at his equipment list it will amaze you and make the cable skeptics puke
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Another strong positive I must mention is the great sound quality acheived, rare for 2008 rock album and light years superior to new Metallica DM. The reason is found by checking the credits for mastering:

This guy is one of the very best in the business, he is in extremely high demand because of his audiophile background, his work on the Rolling Stones
ABKCO label remasters 2002 is stunning among other examples. If you google his website for Gateway Studios and look at his equipment list it will amaze you and make the cable skeptics puke
tongue.gif

Very interesting and thanks for posting. Wasn't aware of him but it's certainly music to my ears to know that the album's well produced and by a highy reveered technician! Good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #69 of 78
Quote:

Here is short article by Ludwig about mastering for Chinese Democracy, a victory in the loudness war!:
Ludwig

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #70 of 78
Quote:

Here is short article by Ludwig about mastering for Chinese Democracy, a victory in the loudness war!:
Ludwig

An interesting read, thankyou. It's great to see a), a producer/masterer appreciating dynamic range and wanting to keep most of it's breadth in recordings and b) a band and/or mangerial team and/or record label prepared to do the same. Ludwig, a reliable source as an insider of the business, states how such compression isn't necessary as radio stations have the resources to boost the volume of any record anyhow and can simply apply such if they are so inclined to an unclipped record, and, of course, listeners only have to turn the volume up on their listening devices if they crave a louder delivery of sound. It makes this Loudness Wars' cause seem innane! Let's hope this sets an example other artists take note of and follow!

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #71 of 78
Buckets parts on the album;

1. Chinese Democracy - Bucket on guitars, Bucket solo
2. Shackler's Revenge - Bucket on guitars, writing credit
3. Better - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 1st solo
4. Street of Dreams (formerly The Blues) - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 1st solo and outro
5. If The World - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist
6. There Was A Time - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 2nd (extended) solo
7. Catcher In the Rye - none
8. Scraped - Bucket on guitars, Bucket outro solo, writing credit
9. Riad N' the Bedouins - Bucket on guitars, Bucket outro solo
10. Sorry - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist, writing credit
11. I.R.S. - Bucket on guitars, Bucket last solo
12. Madagascar - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist
13. This I Love - none
14. Prostitute - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckets parts on the album;

1. Chinese Democracy - Bucket on guitars, Bucket solo
2. Shackler's Revenge - Bucket on guitars, writing credit
3. Better - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 1st solo
4. Street of Dreams (formerly The Blues) - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 1st solo and outro
5. If The World - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist
6. There Was A Time - Bucket on guitars, Bucket 2nd (extended) solo
7. Catcher In the Rye - none
8. Scraped - Bucket on guitars, Bucket outro solo, writing credit
9. Riad N' the Bedouins - Bucket on guitars, Bucket outro solo
10. Sorry - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist, writing credit
11. I.R.S. - Bucket on guitars, Bucket last solo
12. Madagascar - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist
13. This I Love - none
14. Prostitute - Bucket on guitars, Bucket only soloist

Interesting. So he's used almost exclusively, or rather, pretty comprehensively! Is this what you're adjudging by ear/your own experience of Bucket's sound and/or style, or is this brokendown somewhere officially?

EDIT: I have just recieved my copy of Chinese Democracy and I can see that who is responsible for the music being played on each track is comprehensively broken down, Buckethead's guitar duties as you've listed!

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #73 of 78
Listened more over last few days and am becoming less and less impressed, I would edit out a few of the wimpy ballads and get down to 10-11 more solid tracks with about 50 minutes palytime......this would make a more favorable impression for me (of course I could do this anytime by making my own CDR)

I am putting album away not sure when I will pull it out again, also if Axl would release another album in a couple years with same cast of musicians I would probably pass on purchase

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #75 of 78
I broke down and bought it along with Monsters N Robots by Buckethead. I agree with most of what's already been stated. Buckethead and GnR don't mix. I think GnR is a case of having Axel and Slash - kind of like Van Halen, they only tread water on their own, but together they are more than the sum of their parts.

Bucketheads CD was far superior. He isn't on the "magic flute" level, I wouldn't argue that
wink.gif
but his compositional skills should not be compared to Malmsteen. Buckethead is a better composer than most electric guitarists. As out there as his music is (think Frank Zappa), it somehow is way more cohesive than the GnRs new CD - to a point where they don't even compare.

Axels voice is not the greatest, but there were a lot of little gems that could have turned into something. Instead it just sounded like an ecclectic mess that is still ok to listen to... if not just to try and get my moneys worth
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back