Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Buckethead
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I despise metal. Absolutely can't stand it.

Except for Gn'R.

Guns N Rose is not metal... I really hate it when people call hard rock bands as metal bands. Especially when the band is obviously hard rock like Guns N Rose or AC/DC.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just hit the nail on the head man, what a great description - especially after just one listen! I can tell your ears are working just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you check this one out (he was on the ball big-time that night);
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad I'm reading it so well
icon10.gif

Cheers for the file download via Megaupload, also! Got it downloaded already (MU Premium is somuch quicker!) so I'll be sure to give it a listen when I get the opportunity
atsmile.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guns N Rose is not metal... I really hate it when people call hard rock bands as metal bands. Especially when the band is obviously hard rock like Guns N Rose or AC/DC.

Goes to show my ignorance in the genre.
wink.gif

Wait... so is Metallica metal? I've always considered Metallica to be metal...

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Goes to show my ignorance in the genre.
wink.gif

Wait... so is Metallica metal? I've always considered Metallica to be metal...

I believe much of Metallica's material is regarded as thrash metal.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #51 of 78
Metallica jumped over all sorts of genres on each release, with their early albums classified as thrash like BloodSugar00 mentioned. But this genre labelling is a waste of time, its gotten completely out of hand, just enjoy your music \m/

Wolfmother is categorized as metal in lots of websites...just NO.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metallica jumped over all sorts of genres on each release, with their early albums classified as thrash like BloodSugar00 mentioned. But this genre labelling is a waste of time, its gotten completely out of hand, just enjoy your music

I did suspect as much but thanks for clarifying with regards to Metallica. Also, I agree with your sentiments on worrying less about the categorisation nof music and just enjoying it (I find that, in real-life listening experience, the boundaries are, generally, lucid anyway, particulary subcategories).

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #53 of 78
After reading more of the thread, I think I'll pass. Buckethead can't seem to save this one. I think I'll go and buy a buckethead CD instead.

For those that want the Guns N Roses sound, check out Velvet Revolver. They are average, nothing special, but then again the Guns N Roses sound is outdated at this point anyway.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading more of the thread, I think I'll pass. Buckethead can't seem to save this one. I think I'll go and buy a buckethead CD instead.

For those that want the Guns N Roses sound, check out Velvet Underground. They are average, nothing special, but then again the Guns N Roses sound is outdated at this point anyway.

Do you mean Velvet Revolver or Velvet Underground?

Because Velvet Revolver was formed from the remnants of GNR and Velvet Underground is Lou Reed's band from the 60's and 70's and I'm not sure their sound is quite as comparable to GNR as Velvet Revolver's is.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Do you mean Velvet Revolver or Velvet Underground?

Because Velvet Revolver was formed from the remnants of GNR and Velvet Underground is Lou Reed's band from the 60's and 70's and I'm not sure their sound is quite as comparable to GNR as Velvet Revolver's is.

redface.gif
ooops - yes, Velvet Revolver

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
ooops - yes, Velvet Revolver

I'm sure that slip of the tongues been commited before!
icon10.gif

On Velvet Revolver, I agree that, generally, they havn't quite fully burst into flames yet- hopefully a more special chemistry will ignite with whomever the next vocalist is they get in- but they have produced glimpses of real quality, IMO. Namely, Slither and Fall To Pieces, and, though, as complete songs, many tracks are nothing special, there are, certainly on Contraband, some great elements (riffs etc) within tracks that I loved and that filled me with promise at the group's potential. Having said that, Libertad disappointed me for the most part. It seemed a move to a more neutered, clipped, streamlined commercial sound and it was the real, earthy, rustic, direct sound of a rocking band- that unmeddled with energy- that I loved from Contraband.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 78
I just picked up the album for $9.99 from my local record store (last copy in stock!).

Not even two tracks into the album, it's very obvious that Slash is gone. Not that Buckethead isn't talented, but his sound is quite different from Slash's.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #60 of 78
Listening more closely to the album, I can see why so many don't like Chinese Democracy. It's very different from the usual Gn'R. It sounds more produced and polished, untypical for Gn'R. Axl's influence and the original Gn'R sound still surfaces in almost every track, however. Overall, the album sounds like Axl Rose crossed with the better half of Coldplay. I think this is especially apparent on "There Was A Time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back