Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Buckethead
Nov 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The album will be streaming in 25 minutes at MySpace.com - Guns N Roses - LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - Rock / Metal / Rock - www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

Tune in! The whole thing will be streaming there until Sunday.

I've been trying to stream the album for about an hour with no success. In fact, I've been unable to stream any of the other music on MySpace. I am able to stream Net radio via WinAmp, so my audio subsystem and Net connection are obviously fine.

Is this a problem with my machine, or is it possible that the load on their servers is interfering with music streaming on the site? Can anyone confirm that the stream is actually available? If so, how recently were you able to listen?

Any thoughts or suggestions, people? I'd really like to hear this thing. It feels like a lifetime ago that I bought The Spaghetti Incident?. Oh, right, it was a lifetime ago.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying to stream the album for about an hour with no success. In fact, I've been unable to stream any of the other music on MySpace. I am able to stream Net radio via WinAmp, so my audio subsystem and Net connection are obviously fine.

Is this a problem with my machine, or is it possible that the load on their servers is interfering with music streaming on the site? Can anyone confirm that the stream is actually available? If so, how recently were you able to listen?

Any thoughts or suggestions, people? I'd really like to hear this thing. It feels like a lifetime ago that I bought The Spaghetti Incident?. Oh, right, it was a lifetime ago.

I have no idea why its not working for you, technically, but yes, I have listened to it once through and am listening to it now as I type this. A geographical/regional thing?

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 78
I'm definately looking forward to it mainly because of Buckethead

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 78
Very interesting body of work! Dense, wild, melange of genres and ideas that rocks! Can definately see this opening up with more listening and with better quality sound. I postively like it! Rose definately impresses vocally.

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea why its not working for you, technically, but yes, I have listened to it once through and am listening to it now as I type this. A geographical/regional thing?

Thanks for confirming that it's working. This is really odd; normally, when I have a problem with audio, it's either an XP glitch or a problem with my Net connection. Both seem fine, yet I can't get a sound out of MySpace at the moment.

The audio controls on MS seem wonky; when I go to an artist page (either GnR or one of my MS-friend artists), the volume control on the widget is set to zero, and the stream is paused. I have to click "play" two or three times to get the "paused" indicator to switch to "playing," but even then there is no sound.

I'm in NYC, and I'm assuming there is lots of local traffic, but I would expect that to affect my ISP, not MS. My ISP is working fine, and, as I said, I can stream non-MS material as usual.

I've tried rebooting.

Oh man! This is frustrating.

Edit: I just tried streaming a vid on Pitchfork, and it worked fine; sound was audible and in sync with the vid. Did I mention that this is frustrating?

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rose definately impresses vocally.

Actually this is the worst I have ever heard from Rose, his vocals certainly has gone down the gutter over the years.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #23 of 78
Quote:

I'm in NYC, and I'm assuming there is lots of local traffic, but I would expect that to affect my ISP, not MS. My ISP is working fine, and, as I said, I can stream non-MS material as usual.

K-Rock (92.3 FM) will be playing the album at midnight, iirc - nice for those of us in the NY area

edit: nm, thats only Friday and Saturday night

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K-Rock (92.3 FM) will be playing the album at midnight, iirc - nice for those of us in the NY area

edit: nm, thats only Friday and Saturday night

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely tune in and fire up the CD recorder to soak up all of that FM goodness. I do love my Philips CD 950. Computer? We don't need no stinking computer!

Given that the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that home taping off the air for personal use is legal, I'm very surprised that the suits are allowing this. Not that I'm complaining.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #25 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually this is the worst I have ever heard from Rose, his vocals certainly has gone down the gutter over the years.

Um no they haven't, I don't know what you were listening to.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely tune in and fire up the CD recorder to soak up all of that FM goodness. I do love my Philips CD 950. Computer? We don't need no stinking computer!

Given that the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that home taping off the air for personal use is legal, I'm very surprised that the suits are allowing this. Not that I'm complaining.
biggrin.gif

Edit: O.K., I'm not that surprised. There's always that urge to close the barn door after the horse has escaped. Problem is, that doesn't bring back the horse.

O.K. Here I am quoting myself, and generally comporting myself like a freaking drunk. I took me about 15 minutes to type that last sentence. I've been turning my pathetic walkup upside down looking for the freaking RCA-to-minijack cable that would allow me to record from my SR-59 to my CDR-950. No luck

But I have Axl screaming in my ear, cause of the tip I got earlier in this thread.

Have to collapse now.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #28 of 78
Quote:

DrBenway, love your avatar mate.

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the cartoon, but I found it online, and I have no idea who came up with it. But it sure did remind me of the moment when I had to wrap my brain around the concept of a negative-signed number that, when squared, would produce a negative number! (Excuse me, professor...WHAT?) At that time, I hadn't really yet even gotten used to the idea of non-terminating decimals! This was just the kind of moment that college is intended to bring to a young mind.

When I saw the cartoon, I laughed out loud, since it not only referred to my weak attempts at studying math, but also referred to some of my most frustrating arguments with a certain beautiful, brilliant, stubborn woman who I haven't seen in 20 years or more.

Quote:

Have you listened to the album yet?

Still struggling with the stream on MySpace. I'm hoping that I can listen to/tape the broadcast on my local FM this weekend...

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 78
Hmmm...listening to this album for the first time now.

I'm quite glad that it is a major release which bucks the trend of hyper-compression (-7.1dB album gain). However, the production is a bit thin and lame, the drums sound particularly neutered and lacking punch for a "hard rock" album.

Musically, considering the public spectacle/debacle Rose has been the past few years, how long this album has been on the burner, et al, I fully expected the album to completely suck, despite the presence of Buckethead. However, it is definitely listenable, isn't annoying or overly dull/boring. There is some variety, and certain ideas work better than others. Now it's not exactly jumping out of my speakers either, but it's a lot better than I ever would have expected.

Or to make a Metallica analogy, I was expecting St. Anger, and so far got something along the lines Load/Reload whittled down to one CD of better tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back