Gun-Fi
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,486 of 1,730
I only have a FN Herstal FNP9 right now. I miss my Saiga AK. Sold it before I moved and will be selling the FNP9 when I move again because I'm going overseas for a while. Once I get settled down again, I'll be picking up new gear. Will get an S&W M&P9 or 45 and then another AK.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,487 of 1,730
Smith & Wesson Performance Center 627

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,488 of 1,730
I'm in the process of putting together a table-top studio in a spare bedroom and this was one of the first shots.

I've got light stands and umbrellas on order but pleased with the results so far.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,490 of 1,730
Use a tripod? Then you can stop down to your hearts content without the extra light (granting that you'll start to get softness due to diffraction at f16 and smaller...) 

I think you got it pretty right on this shot tho. I'd personally have pulled the gun further forward, and opened up the aperture a bit, even if the back edge of the gun goes slightly soft, to further separate and blur the background. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,491 of 1,730
Quote:
Use a tripod? Then you can stop down to your hearts content without the extra light (granting that you'll start to get softness due to diffraction at f16 and smaller...) 

I think you got it pretty right on this shot tho. I'd personally have pulled the gun further forward, and opened up the aperture a bit, even if the back edge of the gun goes slightly soft, to further separate and blur the background. 

Well, I'm using speedlights, not studio lights, so my aperture is limited more by their output than shutter speed.  I think this was taken at f/11 and I was right at the ragged edge of high-ISO noise/DoF/flash power.

You're not wrong about the placement of the gun though.  I'm still working out the kinks of setting up the studio.  The velvet I have for the backdrop is big enough but I bought a table that is a bit too small to allow good separation.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,492 of 1,730
This thread, is a good thread.
two Sig Sauer Mosquito's
Taurus .40 Pistol
Savage 30-6
Smith & Wesson .22 about 40 years old

I was looking into purchasing the Saiga 12g, but the local store ran out right before my paycheck :frowning2:

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,497 of 1,730
I'd love to get into that!

On a related note, my girlfriend shot my M&P but had a few complaints.. even with the smallest backstrap on it was too large for her hands, it was slightly too hard to rack, and she didn't like the somewhat heavy/long trigger pull. So tonight I went out to look at some guns and held a Bersa Thunder 9mm UC Pro, and really liked it for her.. considerably smaller than my M&P (3.25in barrel, much smaller grip), not too light to keep recoil manageable (23 oz.), very comfortable/ergonomic, and decent capacity for a compact (13+1). Not to mention in SA the trigger pull is clean and short, and it's easier to rack the slide.

Anyone have any experience with Bersa? Preferably their Thunder UC Pro in 9mm?

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-uc-pro-series.html

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,498 of 1,730
Be sure she is racking correctly.  Assuming she's right handed, have her maintain a strong shooting grip with her right hand, place her left hand on top of the slide in front of the rear sight and squeeze with her whole hand.  She should be grabbing the slide with her whole hand with her palm on one side of the slide, her fingers wrapped over and around the slide.  Then push forward with the right hand and pull back with the left hand.  Now, you've got all the power from both hands and arms doing the racking.  

There's a club up in Racine that does IDPA as well as one out west somewhere, maybe Elgin.

I went out to look at some guns...and really liked it for her.

No offense but that's a huge mistake.  Let her go out and choose the gun.  If she has taken the time to pick something she likes, she'll like shooting more.  Just be careful letting her pick something that's too small as small handguns can be very hard to shoot.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,499 of 1,730
She is holding it correctly, it's just that her hands are too small to get a good grip and she is not very strong at all.

Good point regarding going shopping for her (salesman told me the same thing). I was more or less checking out what's out there so we can at least get started on the right track

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back