Gun-Fi
Nov 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,502 of 1,730
Interesting. Packs a lot of gun into that tiny frame. I've never shot one though.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,504 of 1,730
CZ another good gun but I personally prefer the SIG P-series if you want an alloy DA/SA gun.  Again, though, that's my preference.

I'm not sure how much experience you have but if you're new to handguns, I might stick to that M&P for awhile and get used to the striker fire trigger.  The CZ will feel very different in both DA and SA.

But, I get the desire for more toys!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #1,505 of 1,730
Where around Chicago do you shoot? You're not in the city I take it? I sold all my guns before moving here in '99.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,506 of 1,730
Quote:
CZ another good gun but I personally prefer the SIG P-series if you want an alloy DA/SA gun.  Again, though, that's my preference.

I'm not sure how much experience you have but if you're new to handguns, I might stick to that M&P for awhile and get used to the striker fire trigger.  The CZ will feel very different in both DA and SA.

But, I get the desire for more toys!

Yep, I am new to handguns. I like my M&P 9mm very much (got only ~750 rounds through it), I just like to "collect" things
redface.gif

If anything, I'd keep my M&P for target/IDPA stuff and get something else in .40S&W or .45ACP for home defense. Although I suppose for home defense a 12ga shotgun would be best..

Quote:
Where around Chicago do you shoot? You're not in the city I take it? I sold all my guns before moving here in '99.

I did live in the city, but moved out to the suburbs after I kind of quit posting around here so I should probably update my profile.. But I go to Article II in Lombard the most, GAT occasionally, and Maxon infrequently. I went to a buddy's gun club in Lombard on Sunday and that was fun too.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,507 of 1,730
Quote:

I suppose you might also be directing this at me?  I live in the north suburbs.  Really, though I own more than a few, I dabble in handguns.  Shooting clay targets is my main interest.  I shoot here: http://northbrooksportsclub.org/

Quote:

Yep, I am new to handguns. I like my M&P 9mm very much (got only ~750 rounds through it), I just like to "collect" things
redface.gif

If anything, I'd keep my M&P for target/IDPA stuff and get something else in .40S&W or .45ACP for home defense. Although I suppose for home defense a 12ga shotgun would be best..

I did live in the city, but moved out to the suburbs after I kind of quit posting around here so I should probably update my profile.. But I go to Article II in Lombard the most, GAT occasionally, and Maxon infrequently. I went to a buddy's gun club in Lombard on Sunday and that was fun too.

I sort of believe in the thought that you should use for SD/HD the gun you practice with and that's much of the idea of IDPA as well.  Your M&P is a great HD gun and 9mm is very effective with proper SD ammo.  My nighstand gun is a 9mm SIG 226 SCT loaded with 20+1 124 grn +P Gold Dots.  I pity the person who might be on the receiving end of that.

But!  If you just want an "excuse" to buy a new gun, go for it!

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,509 of 1,730
Quote:
How do I get started with IDPA in the Chicago area?

Check the IDPA's website for a club near you:

http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=IL

You're M&P kit will serve you well but you also need a good belt and, as per IDPA's rules, some sort of cover garment as the gun must be concealed to start.

For the belt, look at Wildnerness' instructor belt.  Get at least the 5 stich model if not the CSM version.  Stiffer is BETTER.  It's not even a joke how much a good belt can have a positive impact on your ability to carry a gun.  Any sort of baggy open front shirt will work well as a cover garment.

When you get to your first match, be sure to tell the organizers that you are a beginner.  They will be more than happy to show you the ropes and be sure that you are doing everything correctly and safely.  If you're like me, you'll want to have some sort of an idea of what you are doing before you walk in the door.  If so, take a look at Panteo Productions: http:// http://www.panteaoproductions.com/  they have some good videos available and you can stream directly from their site.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,510 of 1,730
Spent some time tonight with the soldering iron..

Before:

After:

I'm hoping it will help to increase the grip some, since the stock backstrap can get a little slippery with sweaty hands. It does look a little goofy, but it didn't cost anything and if I hate it I can just buy another backstrap for a few dollars.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #1,511 of 1,730

Gonna have a gun smith thread the barrel and put a muzzle brake on it. Someday when I move to a free state I'll get my suppressor.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,512 of 1,730
If anybody wants a complete BCM upper, lemme know :D

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,515 of 1,730
Ordered them from DSA last month. I would have had them before the new year but some mix ups with the FFL transfer happened, causing some delays. My buddy ordered one from Maxon in Des Plaines a few weeks back and he got his already, but that was quick because Maxon already had an order in for 75 or so, iirc. Now I just need to figure out how to build the rest. I'm thinking I'll make the first 22lr, and the second will be 5.56.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back