Gun-Fi
Jun 21, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,471 of 1,730
I think the theory is relatively straight forward.  You need a barrel long enough to burn all the powder and get all the gas expansion you're going to get, and no more.  Once you've used up the propellant, you just have drag from the barrel.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,474 of 1,730
Quote:
It could be speculated that there were two loads available in 45 acp--for pistols and submachine guns, just as there is for 9mm today.

This is true but would the second load take advantage of a full 18" BATF friendly barrel?  Even the sub Tommies are 10-11".

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,477 of 1,730
I loooove my M&P9 FS,  In fact, I have two M&Ps, the full size and a 5" Pro.  Much better feeling in the hand than a Glock and is proving lately to be just as reliable.  9mm is a smart choice if only for slightly cheaper ammo for practice.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,479 of 1,730
I like the 5" a lot but it is really a target gun.  If I could only have one, it would be the FS.  The "improved" trigger of the Pro isn't that much better.  Both of my M&Ps have Apex DCAEK kits and RAMs (a very worthwhile upgrade).

The kits are hard to find.  You might have to get a standard model and add the speedloader (a standard UpLULA -- worth the money no matter what), mags, and holster on your own.  If you have to go this route, look at Raven Concealment holsters. 

Also think about taking the Utah concealed carry class (offered at GAT Guns in Dundee).  It's valid in WI so it does afford you some chance to carry as needed.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,480 of 1,730
Good info, thanks! I found the FS kit in stock at 2 stores that I've looked at, so that's a plus. My GF is taking the women's handgun class at GAT next month, that CCW class there sounds pretty good.

Another possiblity is a Glock 17 gen 3, but after feeling how nice the M&P is in my hand, I don't think I'll go that route.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,481 of 1,730
Would sign up for this thread if I had a gun, but I do not. I wish however, that Amazon send me one instead of a TV next time I order one :wink:

Guns are all around me every day, thousands of them, they get boring.

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,482 of 1,730
Quote:
Guns are all around me every day, thousands of them, they get boring.

Then you're around the wrong kinds of guns.  They should never get boring.

I just finished shooting the World FITASC Championship which was held at my gun club outside Chicago last week (last year it was in France, next year in Spain).  It's a big deal.

It was fun walking around the vendors and seeing things like:

or

or

or

or

or

and things like:

Plus shooting several tournaments worth about 700 shells over 6 days.  Definitely not boring!

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,483 of 1,730
:D Subscribed 

all I have so far is a  :D CZ75 .40SW and  Adam Arms ar15.
frown.gif
 Having multiple hobbies is bad for my wallet especially as a college student 
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,484 of 1,730
Quote:

Then you're around the wrong kinds of guns.  They should never get boring.

I just finished shooting the World FITASC Championship which was held at my gun club outside Chicago last week (last year it was in France, next year in Spain).  It's a big deal.

It was fun walking around the vendors and seeing things like:

Plus shooting several tournaments worth about 700 shells over 6 days.  Definitely not boring!

I am talking about the real guns, those used to shoot to kill on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back