Gun-Fi
Aug 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #976 of 1,730
Just a quick shot I took today of my 1911, sporting new cocobolo grips. I've got a few other photos, some of this gun and some of thers, hiding around here somewhere that I might post later.

DSCN3689.JPG

PS~ There was some chatter by myself earlier in this thread about actuating the trigger with the tip of one's finger versus the distal joint... I can't get a smooth pull on the trigger of this gun without using the tip, but I'll be damned if I can do the same on my Offical Police without hooking it at the distal joint *shrug*

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #978 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS~ There was some chatter by myself earlier in this thread about actuating the trigger with the tip of one's finger versus the distal joint... I can't get a smooth pull on the trigger of this gun without using the tip, but I'll be damned if I can do the same on my Offical Police without hooking it at the distal joint *shrug*

Single v. double action? Rederences to the 1911 trigger manipulation always involve single action.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #980 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody seen this? I am ordering one - I don't know how many times I have had to bust a cap in a bear's ass and come up short!

I guess this guy would have needed it :

1808265901.jpg

that was shot by Michio Hoschino, and it's supposed to be his last photo...ever.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #982 of 1,730
what's funny is the box that says "bear attack emergency"....and that nature photographer who -when attacked(and killed) by a bear- decided to take a photo <SNAP>

the guy goes alone in the inner russian lands w/o a riffle
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #983 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Springfield?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto this. I find the WWII copy that they make intriguing and was wondering how it actually measured up.

Yep... GI.45. I think it measures up wonderfully. It's not expensive and you don't wind up with a bunch of garbage that you may or may not need. The sights... well, they suck. I wouldn't recommend the GI for competition against anyone other than yourself, because they are GI-style and therefore are small and hard to acquire. But the gun is perfectly capable of accurate index shooting.

Out of the box, it's a pretty close match to the WWII-era GI 1911s. Mine is parkerized, but there's also a stainless version. The the hammer and thumb safety aren't period-correct, and the slide stop and mag release buttons are both serrated instead of checkered. And the rollmarks are substantially different. If you're a "Made in USA" freak, you won't like this gun, as the frame is stamped "Made in Brazil-IMBEL" on the second line. But whatever, doesn't bother me. Best of all: the frame and slide are both forged, and the slide has vertical serrations.

Best of all, Springfield will sell you ten mags for $9 if you buy your gun new, and they're refinish it in brushed blue for $130 plus shipping. I'll be swapping out the four small parts, above, for "correct" versions in the near future, and will then send the whole gun off to be refinished and tuned a bit.

I'll probably buy a Mil-Spec before then (especially if I can find an "NM" version), but I don't in the slightest regret buying this gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single v. double action? Rederences to the 1911 trigger manipulation always involve single action.

Eh? Yes, the 1911 is a single action-only pistol. My point was that it seems most double action handguns demand that I hook the trigger with the distal joint of my finger to avoid jerking the gun on pull. Most single action pistols seem to be the opposite. That's all.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #984 of 1,730
I think if I really wanted a true WWII repro, I'd pick up one of Colt's:

Picture002.jpg

I saw one of these in a gun store in MN and, if I wouldn't have had to have done an FFL transfer, I would have bought it. They are really nice.

They are in a difference price range than the Springfield GI guns, though. It seems that the Springfield guns are really good values.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #985 of 1,730
Quote:

Has anybody seen this? I am ordering one - I don't know how many times I have had to bust a cap in a bear's ass and come up short!

Sorry, I saw this the other day and meant to reply.

A friend of mine has an early production Model 500 which I have shot. One cylinder was enough for me for the day. It's honestly not all that bad because of the extreme weight of the pistol, excellent grips, good trigger, and compensator. To be frank, I'd rather shoot that 500 than a different friend's model 640 which I just can't get a good grip on because of my big hands which also prevent me from staging the trigger properly on a J-Frame. But, I think, especially with a short barrel, there is just too much recoil to be able to reliably place follow-up shots.

I used to spend a lot of time in Bear country. I carried (and still own) this:
870marinemag%5B1a%5D.jpg

Loaded with 3" 1-3/8 oz slugs at 1500 FPS. Luckily, I never shot those slugs at anything other than milk jugs filled with water.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #986 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if I really wanted a true WWII repro, I'd pick up one of Colt's

I considered that for a very long time, but the simple fact of the matter is that I could buy two Springers for the price of the Colt. Colt wins insofar as the frame is cut like the original 1911--without the scallop that the 1911A1 got in 1924. It also includes the original short-tail grip safety, which Colt doesn't appear to be selling as an individual part. Otherwise, you win on the rollmarks, but nothing else.

With the Springer, though, I have more than enough money left over to install more-or-less GI-accurate small parts, refinish the gun (which admittedly, isn't "authentic" for WWII--but I love blue), and still tune up the action, with some cash to spare.

So in the end, ecomony won out. As much as I'd love to have that Colt, I don't know if I'd actuall enjoy shooting it. And since you can find genuine period pieces for about what Colt is asking (with patina, but not clapped out), I just couldn't justify the cost in the end.

The $9 mags didn't hurt, either!

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #987 of 1,730
heres my work in progress M4gery

JR7D8620s.jpg

JR7D8621s.jpg

but it does say M4 on it lol

JR7D8608s.jpg

it says 223, but this is a later 5.56 barrel version

Colt MT6400C
Trijicon TA31 ACOG 4x32
LaRue Tactical ACOG Mount QD LT-100
Magpul CTR Stock
Magpul Enhanced Butt-Pad
Magpul MIAD (setup with enhanced trigger-guard and small back-strap)
Magpul PMAG
Z-M Weapons Ambidextrous Sling Adapter
Z-M Weapons Q.D. Single Point Sling, Black

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #988 of 1,730
Quote:

That's an interesting kit. Is it a .44?

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #989 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto this. I find the WWII copy that they make intriguing and was wondering how it actually measured up.

I picked up the Springfield Mil-Spec earlier this year and have been very pleased with it. It's the only 1911 I've shot, but I find it accurate and solid. It needed a good cleaning and a few hundred rounds to break in, but it's a reliable shooter.

It's still stock, but I've been planning to put black checkered aluminum grips on it and possibly new sights. It's not a competition pistol, but if you want a quality firearm that's good at the range and more than sufficient for personal defense, it's a great gun at a great price.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #990 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an interesting kit. Is it a .44?

You can get it in either 460 S&W or .500 S&W Magnum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back