Gun-Fi
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #781 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0ee9e535c0ee97671d.jpg

Very nice sight. Only issue I've had with mine is the fiddly little adjustment cap got lost and it's been a big round of phone tag to get a replacement from Aimpoint.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #782 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice sight. Only issue I've had with mine is the fiddly little adjustment cap got lost and it's been a big round of phone tag to get a replacement from Aimpoint.

Noted. Memo to self: keep friggin' cap screwed on tight.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #783 of 1,730
Just thought I'd show you guys the piece I bought a couple of months ago. Shoots like a dream.
bigsmile_face.gif

PC180001.jpg

Its a springfield 1911 loaded in stainless steel.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #784 of 1,730
Duke309 - that's beautiful! How do you like shooting it?

Funny you posted that because last Saturday I went and picked up SA's Mil-Spec 1911. Thanks to the State of California, I have to "cool off" until next Tuesday. Shame, since I wanted to put holes in paper this weekend.

Does anyone know of any good books, websites, forums, or anything else where you can learn more about the 1911? The more I look, the more there seems to be to learn. I haven't shot it yet, but it's a terrific fit for my hand and I liked it more than any other gun I handled at the shop. I'd like to learn more and might pick up another.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #785 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of any good books, websites, forums, or anything else where you can learn more about the 1911? The more I look, the more there seems to be to learn. I haven't shot it yet, but it's a terrific fit for my hand and I liked it more than any other gun I handled at the shop. I'd like to learn more and might pick up another.

There are at least two excellent 1911 forums:

The M1911 Pistols Organization

and

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I myself have a Kimber Custom Target II on order which should be here any day. I can't wait. I've already ordered a set of Esmeralda's and a magwell for it.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #786 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duke309 - that's beautiful! How do you like shooting it?

Funny you posted that because last Saturday I went and picked up SA's Mil-Spec 1911. Thanks to the State of California, I have to "cool off" until next Tuesday. Shame, since I wanted to put holes in paper this weekend.

I've put nearly 1000 rounds through it so far, no problems at all. Shoots like a dream, it is really accurate too. I just got a couple 8 round chip mccormick mags for it, which means I really got to get to the range next weekend and try em out.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #788 of 1,730
1911woot.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

Springfield Loaded parkerized
Swapped out the guide rod/plug and added a new mainspring housing
Love it
biggrin.gif

Going to pick up a CZ 75 PCR Monday from my FFL
CZ-75-D-PRC_350.jpg

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #789 of 1,730
The 1911 is such a beautiful handgun. I have read up on it, and I think that it will be my first purchase. Any reason why it would be a bad first? The purpose is for home security and use at the range.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #791 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1911 is such a beautiful handgun. I have read up on it, and I think that it will be my first purchase. Any reason why it would be a bad first? The purpose is for home security and use at the range.

I think they are one of the better first handguns you can get. They are easy to shoot (weight helps with recoil), very easy to upgrade/fieldstrip (and learn how a firearm works), and they make great concealed carry weapons as well as home defense, plus they are one of the safest firearms out there.
Check out m1911.org for a ton of info on various brands and also holsters etc.
biggrin.gif

Only downside is ammo cost is fairly high unless you buy bulk

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't like spending much range time with a 1911, too much kick for me.

I've shot 9, 40, 45: and 45 is the lowest recoil I've felt. 40 is VERY snappy, 9 is a little less, an 45 is more of a push back than up. If you tried a 45 in a polymer frame...then yea thats the problem, there is no weight to the gun.
I tried my friends HK in 45 vs. my 1911 and the recoil was slightly less on my 1911 due to more weight, and I'm not a big guy at all 5'8 165
It all depends on the user, so make sure you can testfire one first

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #792 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to pick up a CZ 75 PCR Monday from my FFL
CZ-75-D-PRC_350.jpg

I've got my eye on one of those.
Do be sure to let us know how she works out.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #793 of 1,730
Quote:

I had a discussion with someone earlier in this thread and I don't remember if it was you? How much experience do you have with guns? Handguns?

If you're a complete beginniner, I'd suggest a .357 revolver built on a medium-sized frame (I like S&W's 686-Plus). You can start by shooting light .38 special wadcutters and work your way up to full house .357 magnums.

For someone who has no experience with handguns, I don't know that I'd recommend a 1911 as the first purchase. It's a little trickier to handle than a revolver and the .45 ACP kicks just a little bit too much for a beginner.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #794 of 1,730
Quote:

No, a well made reliable Model 1911 in .45ACP would never be a bad purchase. However, think 200 gr. hardcast lead for practice. But buying a 1911 first might be premature. I would suggest a first purchase of another "nonregettable" firearm; a well designed semi-automatic .22LR pistol. Of those currently available, a Ruger with six inch barrel and adjustable sights epitomizes the genre. Since, Huntsmen, Challengers, Woodsmen and similar are now available only used. Shoot cheap and stress free. Practice all marksmanship skills. An excellent pistol you will keep forever.

Revolver suggestions are now outliving their usefulness. .357RemMag through pistols with six inch barrels are nasty and flinch productive. The recoil of .35 caliber magnums is much sharper/twisting than the .45ACP. Revolver skills are special and don't transfer universally to pistols.

BTW, leftnose, I was on that movie set while Blues Bros. was filmed. Belushi was a client.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #795 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've shot 9, 40, 45: and 45 is the lowest recoil I've felt. 40 is VERY snappy, 9 is a little less, an 45 is more of a push back than up. If you tried a 45 in a polymer frame...then yea thats the problem, there is no weight to the gun.
I tried my friends HK in 45 vs. my 1911 and the recoil was slightly less on my 1911 due to more weight, and I'm not a big guy at all 5'8 165
It all depends on the user, so make sure you can testfire one first

It was whatever the service pistol was before the M9. The M9 is a bit big for my little hands and I can't thumb the slide release but I really can't complain about the recoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back