Gun-Fi
Feb 10, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #811 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa, you're a barrister, right? I need a revocable trust. My CLEO is a weenie. What is your opinion: should I have this done by a live lawyer or can it be done, reliably, with online documents.

That depends. If you understand revocable trusts within the statutory limitations of where ever you wish for it to have legal effect, then it could probably be drafted successfully on the back of a cocktail napkin. Most of the on-line legal forms for trusts that I have seen wind up trying to put square pegs into round holes. And if you want to know all your options and want the best fit to your needs (including any necessary tax planning), then competent legal assistance for where ever you are located is essential.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #812 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it's bad to dry fire a gun? Are there any pistols that'll break your wrist?

Depends on the gun. Even if the gun isn't designed for dry firing, the use of snap caps usually mitigates the risks.

Many .22 don't have a firing pin stop and allow the firing pin to impact the barrel when dry firing. This will peen and shorten the firing pin until it's no longer reliable. The popular Ruger Mark III and 10/22 are notable exceptions.

Some centerfire guns are known to have fragile firing pins which dry firing will eventually break. Not a huge issue on range guns since firing pins can be replaced. The CZ-52 is famous for this. This is also a relatively minor issue for revolvers with hammer mounted firing pins.

Oh yeah, cap and ball guns. Don't dry fire them.
biggrin.gif

As for pistols that will break your wrist, unlikely. There's a bit of a liability issue there... I guess you could get a custom Thompson Contender barrel in .700 NE if you wanted to try though.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #813 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering when you would show up here, Vicki. Welcome. I guess all my secrets are now yours.
redface.gif

And very nice secrets you have
smile.gif

I was interested in CZs for a bit, but my finger couldn't reach the trigger, even with the Rami.

Quote:

I went in either 04' or 05'. I'm bad with time. Anyway, never again. Absolute over load. CES is just barely worse.

I had fun, but probably due to the folks I was hanging out with, friends of Mexican Dragon. I bought the Yost Browning Hi-Power because not only is it a gorgeous gun that fit my hand like no other, but also because Ted only makes one a year, and that one for the show. It's doubtful I'll ever have the chance again.

iriverdude, how could a pistol break your wrist? I suppose if you beat your wrist with one, you could do the job. If interested, I'd suggest using a stainless model, one with some heft that would require fewer blows, unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing. Go for it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #814 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any pistols that'll break your wrist?

First, develop osteoperosis . . .
eek.gif

Quote:

And very nice secrets you have

Yup, Vicki, innoculating myself against a gunshow involves wading through the collected excess in the "quartermaster's room" the evening before. Not pretty, but effective.
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #815 of 1,730
Quote:

Old Pa, you're a barrister, right? I need a revocable trust. My CLEO is a weenie. What is your opinion: should I have this done by a live lawyer or can it be done, reliably, with online documents.

Me too - I specialized in trusts and estates then picked up another degree in accounting, and somehow ended up in corporate litigation. Anyhow, I agree with Old Pa. Trust agreements can be straightforward, but the devil is in funding trusts and dealing with tax complications. I'd recommend staying away from "trust mill" operations, too. You'll notice them giving lectures at retirement homes and having flat rate packages. The best bet are smaller firms and solos that specialize in estate planning.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #816 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too - I specialized in trusts and estates then picked up another degree in accounting, and somehow ended up in corporate litigation. Anyhow, I agree with Old Pa. Trust agreements can be straightforward, but the devil is in funding trusts and dealing with tax complications. I'd recommend staying away from "trust mill" operations, too. You'll notice them giving lectures at retirement homes and having flat rate packages. The best bet are smaller firms and solos that specialize in estate planning.

Oh, I know. I thought about it, about 45 seconds after I hit Submit.
bigsmile_face.gif

I spoke with two friends that are (Napoleonic) lawyers - one maritime and one who has basically taken leave from society. Neither were much help. I got a quote from another for $500. Not bad, but the suppressor itself will only cost me ~$950 with the NFA tax stamp.

My problem, as usual, is trying to do any legal sleuthing on the "national" internet. This Napoleonic code mess in Louisiana makes lots of archived advice unreliable.

Otherwise, this would be the most basic (I assume) trust in creation to set up. I would be the settlor, trustee, and the beneficiary. The estate would consist of one solitary NFA Class III item.

But thank you and Old Pa. I'm going to see if I can bother some other peripheral friends that happen to be attorneys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #817 of 1,730
Quote:

My problem, as usual, is trying to do any legal sleuthing on the "national" internet. This Napoleonic code mess in Louisiana makes lots of archived advice unreliable.

So the purpose of the trust is to be the owner of the suppressor? Is there a Louisiana state law forbidding ownership/possession of suppressors by private citizens? You realize that a trust established for an illegal purpose would be void in most jurisdictions?

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #818 of 1,730
Quote:

So the purpose of the trust is to be the owner of the suppressor? Is there a Louisiana state law forbidding ownership/possession of suppressors by private citizens? You realize that a trust established for an illegal purpose would be void in most jurisdictions?

Yes, the trust is for the suppressor. I'm not one to mess with Federal law. It's completely legal here, Pa, as well creating a trust to avoid the need of a signature from a CLEO on BATF forms.

Here's some more info from a law office in PA:
http://blog.princelaw.com/gun-trusts-blog

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #819 of 1,730
Just got back from the range, shot 100 rounds or so with a Glock 30. I like shooting at the range, but some people just make me a bit anxious. The guys next too me were so happy and loud it just had me on edge. At one point, one of them actually had their pistol pointed in my direction as they were talking....I've got to find out when it is not crowded at that place...you guys ever have to deal with stuff like this?

Anyways, I really liked shooting the .45 ACP. Had good control and the recoil felt like nothing. The bummer was the ammo, horrendously expensive. lol

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #820 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, I really liked shooting the .45 ACP. Had good control and the recoil felt like nothing. The bummer was the ammo, horrendously expensive. lol

WalMart usually had "party packs" of 200 rounds of Winchester .45ACP 230 grain FMJ for not so much. If you do not reload, you can still pick up and bag your brass to sell at a gun show as "once fired". Going rate for once fired .45ACP can be up to $0.10/piece. Makes shooting a little cheaper.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #821 of 1,730
I've got some 1911 teething problems. Took the Springfield Mil-Spec to the range today and it had trouble feeding new rounds. Every 7-8 rounds, one would fail to feed and/or chamber completely. I used reloads from the range and put approximately 100 rounds through it.

So, does it need a trip to the pistolsmith for a tuneup? I *do* like it otherwise. It's a natural pointer, feels great in the hand, recoil and muzzle flip are not a problem, the safety doesn't bite, and I found it very accurate. If it fed every time, I'd be enthralled. What do you guys think?

Also, I got a recommendation for a pistolsmith named Alan Tanaka who's just a few miles from me. Has anyone heard of him?

The H&K USP .45 came along, too. It remains accurateand reliable, but I prefer the recoil and handling of the 1911.

Sam, any chance you could set up a corporation to hold that for you? Those can be simpler and are an easier DIY proposition. Also, you could use a corporation to get yourself a few tax breaks.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #822 of 1,730
Shoot 250-500 rounds of factory hardball through your 1911 before having anything done to it. If youre problems persists through that period, take it to a good 'smith and describe the problems you're having.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #823 of 1,730
Quote:

WalMart usually had "party packs" of 200 rounds of Winchester .45ACP 230 grain FMJ for not so much. If you do not reload, you can still pick up and bag your brass to sell at a gun show as "once fired". Going rate for once fired .45ACP can be up to $0.10/piece. Makes shooting a little cheaper.

Thanks for the tip, I've been reading up on the ammo and indeed it seems like Walmart has been a great option for a lot of people. Now I just need to figure out which platform and model I want to go with. The only thing about the Glocks I don't like is the lack of a thumb safety. I understand that they have passive safety innovations, but for some reason I think I would be more comfortable with a thumb safety.

I have plenty of time to read though, between this, a guitar amp, and the hd800s I have plenty saving to do. lol

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #824 of 1,730
Quote:

I've got some 1911 teething problems. Took the Springfield Mil-Spec to the range today and it had trouble feeding new rounds. Every 7-8 rounds, one would fail to feed and/or chamber completely. I used reloads from the range and put approximately 100 rounds through it.

I'd defiantly try some factory stuff (Winchester White Box) before you go any further. Reloads can be fine, but you don't know how much care and what components are going into range reloads. Range brass can get put through a lot. The brass can easily be out of spec it they don't take the time the check with a case gauge or trim to proper length.

Quote:

Sam, any chance you could set up a corporation to hold that for you? Those can be simpler and are an easier DIY proposition. Also, you could use a corporation to get yourself a few tax breaks.

Corporations will work, but I'm a little concerned about the upkeep on one. A trust would be maintenance free. Really, I have not looked into a corps benefits, but I will. I'm seeing an estate attorney on Tues. I'll ask more about it then. Thanks.

Edit: I may have misunderstood? Did you mean new, factory rounds fed unreliably and reloads worked without issue.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #825 of 1,730
Quote:

What kind of "failure to feed" problems with what kind of ammunition? If it's new, did you take it apart, clean off the packing lubricant and then re-assemble with good quality synthetic lubricants appropriately applied; they will aid the break-in process. Is the "failure to feed" the same with all magazines. You should have at least half a dozen magazines with a single-stack and they need to have machining/shipping/storage lubricants/protectants removed as well. I favor McCormick and Wilson for the 1911.

Springfield Armory used to make good tight 1911s; I haven't had much experience with them since discovering Kimbers. I would first take off the top end and barrel, clean it with good quality general solvent and a toothbrush, dry it and blow it out with compressed air, and then re-assemble it with light lube like LPS in the slide locking lugs, one drop long each of the rails, a drop on the link pivots, and maybe a drop on the back center of the slide where it bears over the hammer. Then continue to break-in cycle of 200 rounds with new commercial 230 gr FMJ .45ACP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back