Gun-Fi
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #841 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke309 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there were better ranges around where I live, I would be able to justify a rifle collection.

You've got the right idea; rifles are meant to be shot. Thirty years ago, living in Chicago, I found myself in a similar situation. So I moved up to the Northwoods and have been regularly shooting rifles at long range ever since.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #843 of 1,730
They do have rails so they aren't quite the classic 228.

SIG also just produced a run of M11s (military version of the 228) and released the over run to the public. Be careful which one you pick up. The M11 overrun have had the military markings struck from the frame and have not been refinished. The 228 comes as you would expect, fully finished.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #844 of 1,730
Here's my newest toy that I just picked up. After a 12 week wait for it to arrive from the factory, I'm pretty happy. It's a Kimber Custom Target II. I've replaced the factory grips with Esmeralda Cocobolo's and the stock, plastic mainspring housing with a steel Kimber unit with magwell.

DSC01551Medium.jpg

DSC01552Medium.jpg

DSC01553Medium.jpg

DSC01554Medium.jpg

That's a stock 7 round Kimber mag in the gun now. It needs an extended base pad to work with the magwell but I've also got a few Tripp 8-round magazines (and a 10-rounder) that will see the most use.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #850 of 1,730
What makes the Kimber 1911's stand out from SA's and others? I've read a lot on various forums, and it seems like the consensus is that Kimber is noted for the highest quality.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #851 of 1,730
I think that, as long as you compare the models of equivalent prices, they're all about the same. Don't compare a Kimber to a GI or mil-spec Springfield. Compare it to a Loaded Springfield. If you do that, they're the same.

The one area where Kimber does stand out is that all the major components are US made. Springfield sources a lot of its frames from Brazil. Now I personally have no problems with imported goods or guns (and Brazil certainly has a fine armaments industry) but it is something that many people try to avoid.

I picked Kimber because they had a relative entry level gun with a blued finish and adjustable sights. I would have had to go stainless if I wanted a Springfield (Kimber also make a stainless model of my gun).

Kimber doesn't hold a candle to the semi-custom makers like Baer, Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk, though. Many of the small parts on a Kimber (ejector, extractor, slide stop) are MIM where as the semi-custom makers all use machined parts. I've already got my eyes on a stainless or hard chrome Baer TRS.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #852 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that, as long as you compare the models of equivalent prices, they're all about the same. Don't compare a Kimber to a GI or mil-spec Springfield. Compare it to a Loaded Springfield. If you do that, they're the same.

The one area where Kimber does stand out is that all the major components are US made. Springfield sources a lot of its frames from Brazil. Now I personally have no problems with imported goods or guns (and Brazil certainly has a fine armaments industry) but it is something that many people try to avoid.

I picked Kimber because they had a relative entry level gun with a blued finish and adjustable sights. I would have had to go stainless if I wanted a Springfield (Kimber also make a stainless model of my gun).

Kimber doesn't hold a candle to the semi-custom makers like Baer, Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk, though. Many of the small parts on a Kimber (ejector, extractor, slide stop) are MIM where as the semi-custom makers all use machined parts. I've already got my eyes on a stainless or hard chrome Baer TRS.

I went through much the same decisions as you did when picking a 1911. Kimber an SA both produce top notch firearms, so its really just up to how they look to you.
Brazil isn't much of a problem, IMBEL is one of the best armories out there. With the loaded models the vast majority are still pieced together in the US.

I'm looking into Baer's too, they make beautiful 1911s

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #853 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kimber doesn't hold a candle to the semi-custom makers like Baer, Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk, though. Many of the small parts on a Kimber (ejector, extractor, slide stop) are MIM where as the semi-custom makers all use machined parts.

I would differ from this opinion, especially regarding the older first series Kimbers which had machined guts. All Kimbers I have had and shot were as accurate and reliable as any of the semi-custom and custom makers. My target and match Kimbers shoot little bitty groups all day long. And on the new series Kimbers, it is no problem to swap out any MIM parts which spit up with quality CAD/CAM parts. Baer/Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk are largely matters of ego. I can't develop any lust for them. Nice guns, but lots of people own Porches, too. Learn how to shoot.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #854 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would differ from this opinion, especially regarding the older first series Kimbers which had machined guts. All Kimbers I have had and shot were as accurate and reliable as any of the semi-custom and custom makers. My target and match Kimbers shoot little bitty groups all day long. And on the new series Kimbers, it is no problem to swap out any MIM parts which spit up with quality CAD/CAM parts. Baer/Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk are largely matters of ego. I can't develop any lust for them. Nice guns, but lots of people own Porches, too. Learn how to shoot.

Fair enough, Old Pa. It seems we have fairly different opinions when it comes to firearms.
beerchug.gif

I actually don't have enough of a problem with MIM parts to even bother to change them until they break (which, as you say, won't necessarily break before a machined part would).

While I mention a TRS above, I waiver between a TRS and a Monolith. The Mono is just plain sexy. While this one has had work done to it after it left Baer, it's a pretty damn nice pistol. It belongs to a poster on 1911.com.

MonolithHW1.jpg

MonolithHW8.jpg

MonolithHW9.jpg

and you just have to love guns with character (owned by another 1911.com poster)

TRSGrubby-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back