Gun-Fi
Mar 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #856 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That's the first time I've ever seen a straight trigger.

That is interesting, isn't it? It seems to be a growing trend. S&W is even offering it on a couple of their 1911s: Product: Model SW1911 DK Pistol. For me, that's would be a definite try before buy.

The only thing I don't like about that Monolith above is the undercut trigger guard. I prefer the looks of a standard trigger guard and my hands are big enough that the grip safety is what prevents a higher hold, not the trigger guard, so it's an unnecessary mod for me as well.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #857 of 1,730
I won’t leave home without it!

tacticoolar15.jpg

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #858 of 1,730
First, thank you all for the advice on the 1911. I've stripped and cleaned it, but haven't been able to find time to get back to the range. Hopefully, a good cleaning and some factory ammo will get it broken in and shooting well.

Also, the great State of California is raising sales tax and (I think) other fees on 4/1/09, so I decided to pay another visit to the gun store to see if they had anything interesting. They had just gotten in a shipment of used Sig-Sauer P6s for $419. I ran a few searches on it, and while you can find them for a little less online, it would cost more than $419 to import one. I liked the feel and operation, so I bit on one. It has some light holster wear, but looks to be in excellent shape otherwise and appears to have been shot very little.

I can't pick it up until after 4/8/09 (
frown.gif
), but am eager to take it to the range. The only complaint I've read is over the trigger pull, but it didn't seem that bad to me.

Anyhow, I don't know if this is true or not, but they said that this is from the last shipment of P6s to the US. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a Sig, it might be a good idea to track one down. I can't quite recommend it since I haven't shot it, but thought everyone should know there's a good deal on a Sig out there.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #859 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, thank you all for the advice on the 1911 . . .

If there are magazines available, you will also want to stock up on those. Three per pistol is a minimum, and I am much more comfortable with ten (10) per pistol (although I have a number of pistols which share the same magazines, ie. for my eight Model 1911s, I do not have 80 magazines
biggrin.gif
). Make sure they all work reliably early on when they are still available and can be traded in (if dysfunctional).

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #861 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there are magazines available, you will also want to stock up on those. Three per pistol is a minimum, and I am much more comfortable with ten (10) per pistol (although I have a number of pistols which share the same magazines, ie. for my eight Model 1911s, I do not have 80 magazines
biggrin.gif
). Make sure they all work reliably early on when they are still available and can be traded in (if dysfunctional).

I didn't see any extras for the P6, but Retting has a bucket full of 1911 magazines for $8 each. Quality looks decent, so I'll grab eight more for the Springfield this weekend. Retting is a great place and the only "real" gun dealer in LA. Other places sell guns, but they're either sporting goods stores or ranges. Too bad we're limited to one purchase every 30 days, since there were a couple other pistols I wouldn't have minded picking up.

Also, does anyone know of an online retailer that has ammunition in stock? I've had no luck finding any for sale at a few shops locally. They're cleaned out and have empty shelves.

You know, this might be a good time to look into publicly-traded ammunition manufacturers. They must be doing pretty well.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #862 of 1,730
Quote:

You know, this might be a good time to look into publicly-traded ammunition manufacturers. They must be doing pretty well.

I checked into it earlier in the year and no dice on that front. The major publicly traded players are Olin (Winchester) and Alliant Techsystems (CCI/Speer/Federal). Olin's chemical business is significantly larger than their ammunition manufacturing business and has been hit by the general economic downturn. Alliant Techsystems also sells a lot more than bullets. Their financial prospects (and stock price) have been hurt by the predicted FY09/FY10 military budget contraction and loss of revenue in their space division.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #863 of 1,730
Quote:

Also, does anyone know of an online retailer that has ammunition in stock? I've had no luck finding any for sale at a few shops locally. They're cleaned out and have empty shelves.

Check out:

Ammo, Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, 9mm Ammo, Military Surplus
Natchez Shooters Supplies
Graf & Sons - The Reloading Authority
Discount Hunting Supplies, Shooting Supplies, Ammunition - Able Ammo

and, while they make their own ammunition (Canned Heat is reloaded from military surplus brass, other types manufactured with new brass), http://www.georgia-arms.com/ has a good reputation for pistol ammo (stay away from their .223, though).

My father owns both Olin and ATK stock. Olin he's had for years (probably longer than I've been alive--I'm 27) and I want to say he's bought ATK 5-7 years ago. He's made money on both (even with the current bear market) but Marvin is right, Winchester is a very small part of Olin's business and ATK relies far more on military contracts and business than they do on what we buy.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #865 of 1,730
Quote:

Thought about reloading, UE? Pistol ammo is really easy.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #866 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are shortages in reloading components, too. Try to buy brass, powder, or primers.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #867 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are shortages in reloading components, too. Try to buy brass, powder, or primers.

No doubt, especially the primers. Still, it's doable with a little searching. Check a local range for once fired brass. I'm still able to get the major calibers for $34 per 1k.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #868 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reloading is relatively easy (after the initial investment), if you are detail oriented and well organized. And then it gets better if you are analytic and persnickety. Folks get into it because they want to shoot a lot and save money. Folks stay in reloading because they are able to get exactly what they want. I'm still using components from the 70s. Store your stuff in a cool, dry place.
wink_face.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #869 of 1,730
Just added to my collection a Kel-tec PF9, can't believe I found one. I was 12th on the waiting list at the store I usually buy from.

I'll try and get some pics once I get a nice pocket holster for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back