Gun-Fi
Dec 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #766 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CZ527 in .22 Hornet is my ring seal hunting rig.

That should be the clear ticket for that kind of hunting. What do you use for sights in the cold? Iron or optical and just leave it outside?

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #767 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That should be the clear ticket for that kind of hunting. What do you use for sights in the cold? Iron or optical and just leave it outside?

The CZ527 is the "American" model and hence has no iron sights.

main010.png

I however, use a Nikon Monarch 3x7x39 scope.

Cold isn't much of a problem. On the occasional "deep" cold day, the lubricants can get a little whiney but other than that it's been a standout success.

Generally, when we're out hunting in winter, the guns stay out in the cold unless we're camped out on the sea ice in Polar Bear country in which case there's usually an old Lee Enfield .303 beater from WW2 around in the tent.

Unfortunately, a good and reliable firearm doesn't do &%$# to keep three day blizzards at bay.

528943849_4e00440128.jpg

Most of my use of the CZ527 is during open water season hunting ring seals from a boat.

238109598_f97f2d9dcb.jpg

My biggest problem to date is sea spray and light rust.
Doesn't seem to matter how well I clean up after a trip, there always seems to be a little bit I missed.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #768 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My biggest problem to date is sea spray and light rust.
Doesn't seem to matter how well I clean up after a trip, there always seems to be a little bit I missed.

Nice pix; they take me there. Pretty intense after three days under canvas in a storm when you've got work to do. You are talking about one of the worst environments on earth for maintaining blued steel. The only thing to make it worse would be getting some blood on the blued surface. All I can think about (besides cleaning) is some penetrating and bonding lubricant/protectant like LPS. Some folks have tried various waxes, but those concern me about just gumming up the works. I've got one of those SMLE beaters in the other room right now. There is something to be said about a full patch .303 170 grain bullet at 2200FPS. Those rifles sure have seen a lot of the globe for more than a century.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #769 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pix; they take me there. Pretty intense after three days under canvas in a storm when you've got work to do. You are talking about one of the worst environments on earth for maintaining blued steel. The only thing to make it worse would be getting some blood on the blued surface. All I can think about (besides cleaning) is some penetrating and bonding lubricant/protectant like LPS. Some folks have tried various waxes, but those concern me about just gumming up the works. I've got one of those SMLE beaters in the other room right now. There is something to be said about a full patch .303 170 grain bullet at 2200FPS. Those rifles sure have seen a lot of the globe for more than a century.

You are so right about blood and rust. For many years now I always carry unscented baby wipes in a zip lock bag in my fanny pack. After cleaning an animal a couple of these do a great job without the need for water. I use LPS but have never tested it in a salty air environment. When i worked for the Navy corrosion was a constant concern and at the time we never found any protection that would guard against rust for any extended period in a salty environment. Cleaning very often and reapplication were a must. It has been quite a few years since I have worked in the field so maybe there are new products available that I have not come across but LPS works for me here in the Midwest.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #770 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For many years now I always carry unscented baby wipes in a zip lock bag in my fanny pack.

Permatex Fast Orange (mechanic's lanoline hand cleaner with or w/o pumice) has been available in both wipes and waterless tube for the past several years. More powerful cleaning action for me than baby wipes and the lanoline helps keep skin on my hands. Now a days, one challenge is to get through winter without deep cracks forming at fingertips. Butter up my hands at every opportunity.

If you degrease after cleaning with alcohol or some commercial degreaser like Birchwood Casey's, then coat with LPS and let it sit for at least an hour but better overnight, the LPS seems to penetrate and hold the metal surface better.

While still slightly behind a .22Hornet ballistically, a Ruger stainless K77/22 varmint (24" heavy barrel, laminated stock) or RSMP (20" barrel, open sights, rings, synthetic stock) with a 40 grain solid (I imagine you want neither meat nor skin damage) like CCI's MaxiMag and with appropriate scope could be quite attractive. I looked at these before getting my left-handed Cooper LVT in .22Mag, but Ruger does not make its 77/22 in left-handed action. I don't know if you reload your .22Hornet (those little guys are pretty thin brass), but not fumbling to pick up empties in arctic conditions could be a very good thing.
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #771 of 1,730
Does anyone have any experience with a Springfield .45 1900 VD Series or the .40 XDM pistols? A friend from texas recommended it and I was wondering if any of you have experience with it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #772 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any experience with a Springfield .45 1900 VD Series or the .40 XDM pistols? A friend from texas recommended it and I was wondering if any of you have experience with it.

I picked up an XDm in .40 S&W a while back, and in short, it’s a competent polymer pistol that’s about $100 overpriced. The only standout feature is magazine capacity, which is about 2-3 rounds higher than would be expected from grip dimensions.

Trigger is smooth and steady with reset distances close to that of a Glock. (Read: short, but no 1911.) Still, it’s heavy (~6-7 lbs) and has quite a bit of pre-travel for something with a “match” designation. The swappable backstraps work, but require a tight roll pin to be punched out for swapping. The M&P's toolless system does it better. Recoil is the softest and least snappy I’ve experienced with .40 S&W, but that’s likely a function of how heavy the XDm is for a polymer pistol. (Unloaded, it’s ~30% heavier than the Glock 23.) Accuracy's about the same as every other full size pistol I've had, though the low recoil does make it easier to shoot accurately.

All in all, it’s a good pistol if the ergonomics work for you. But given the price differences, there’s really nothing other than ergonomics to recommend it over a Glock, XD, or M&P. It’s a lot like the Sig P250 in that way.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #774 of 1,730
Could I get some recommendations for another handgun? I'm thinking about a second one, but keep going back and forth on all the models.

What I have now is a full sized H&K USP .45. Great gun and am completely happy with it. In the past, I've owned a S&W Sigma .40 and a Beretta 92FS. The Beretta was great, the Sigma was OK.

For a second gun, I'd like one chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP. I'm not much for compacts or revolvers - I prefer full framed autos. I'm OK with polymer and steel frames and would spend up to $800 or $900.

I'd use it for target practice at the range and as a backup (maybe primary?) with the USP for home protection. I don't shoot competitively, either. What I want is complete, unquestionable reliability, accuracy and something that I can put 300-400 rounds through at the range without killing my hands.

Also, there's a chance I'll end up in a state offering CCW permits in the next 12-24 months. I might end up carrying this weapon, too.

A 1911 is interesting, but the choices are bewildering. Another 92FS might be good, but there are many others on the market that look interesting, too.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #775 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I get some recommendations for another handgun? I'm thinking about a second one, but keep going back and forth on all the models.

What I have now is a full sized H&K USP .45. Great gun and am completely happy with it. In the past, I've owned a S&W Sigma .40 and a Beretta 92FS. The Beretta was great, the Sigma was OK.

For a second gun, I'd like one chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP. I'm not much for compacts or revolvers - I prefer full framed autos. I'm OK with polymer and steel frames and would spend up to $800 or $900.

I'd use it for target practice at the range and as a backup (maybe primary?) with the USP for home protection. I don't shoot competitively, either. What I want is complete, unquestionable reliability, accuracy and something that I can put 300-400 rounds through at the range without killing my hands.

Also, there's a chance I'll end up in a state offering CCW permits in the next 12-24 months. I might end up carrying this weapon, too.

A 1911 is interesting, but the choices are bewildering. Another 92FS might be good, but there are many others on the market that look interesting, too.

If you're looking for something truly full-size like a USP, I would look at the Sig P226 (9mm or 40) or the Sig P220 (.45). Would be a good complement to the polymer USP since these are alloy frames duty-sized handguns.

I personally have the Sig P229 in 9mm and a HK P30 9mm - both considered compact but to me I consider them almost full size. The P229 is fairly worked up by Gray Guns and has a really wonderful action and reset but the P30 is lighter and has better ergonomics making it a more convenient carry gun.

Hope this helps.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #776 of 1,730
Quote:

A few considerations before any specific suggestions. No semiautomatic pistol should be considered reliable for self defense until you have fed at least 200 rounds through it without significant problems. You should have a minimum of four (4) reliable magazines for every semiautomatic pistol you employ in a self defense role. You need a minimum of five to seven hundred rounds of square range drill (not plinking, but structured and preferably monitored drill including malfunctions) before you should consider utlizing a pistol in a self defense role. These are simple facts.

That said, you have already selected a good caliber in the .45ACP. Adding another caliber means that you now have two lines of everything to keep straight. You seems to have selected and become adapted to double action semiautomatic pistols. Perhaps staying within this genre (not my choice) will also reduce the mechanical complexity of what you have to deal with under duress should all "go in the crapper". Is there another model of .45ACP USP you find interesting which might utilize the same magazines, leather and other accessories?

In .45ACP, I load 200 grain bullets, as John Moses Browning originally specified. I load a hard cast lead Keith type H&G 68 at @1000FPS for range, practice, light guns and most purposes and a modern jacketed hollowpoint of Hornady XTP design or equivalent at the same velocity for "social interactions". I doubt most well shot targets would note any difference between the two loads, but sometimes you care enough to send the very best. With the 200 grain bullets, recoil (and battering on the guns) is significantly reduced over heavier bullets. With the hard cast lead bullet, there is another significant reduction over the jacketed bullet in recoil. Something about how recoil commences with the ignition of the primer/powder and before the bullet leaves the barrel and the increased force required to drive a jacketed bullet into the lands. Everyone I have demonstrated this difference to has found it real and significant. I don't know about you, but when I'm being beaten on less by the gun, accuracy and speed increase and fatigue decreases.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #777 of 1,730
In 45 ACP, I find that the single stack 1911 is the easiest platform for me to shoot accurately. The width of the frame, the grip angle and the ease to get high up with the grip just works better for me. I have a couple of full-size HK’s in 45 ACP and I love them both. They are totally reliable, very accurate and I enjoy shooting them, but I have to work harder to obtain the accuracy that comes easier for me with the 1911.

There is an absolutely unbelievable array of choices in 1911s. I have had excellent experience with Colt, Dan Wesson, S&W and the SigArms GSR in both reliability and accuracy. I’ve never owned a Kimber, but have shot several and they are very good as well.

In the Tupperware area, the butt-ugly Glock is ultra reliable, tough as nails and accurate enough for most folks. Price is right compared to some other choices. I carry a Glock 36 everyday.

If you are willing to look at 9mm, the Browning Hi-Power is a true classic, and a joy to shoot. Even with the double stack, it fits me, and many others, really well. The biggest complaint with the Hi-Power is the trigger, but that can be remedied by a capable gunsmith for a very reasonable fee. Remove the magazine disconnect while you’re at it.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #778 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 45 ACP, I find that the single stack 1911 is the easiest platform for me to shoot accurately. The width of the frame, the grip angle and the ease to get high up with the grip just works better for me.

This is my experience as well. 1911 triggers can be set up to shooter's preferences and made to break "like a glass rod". Re-set indexing of the trigger is perhaps easiest to learn and execute with a single action trigger. And there are never two different trigger pulls on the same pistol.

Old model Kimbers remain my preference. With the II series (and beyond), Kimber's designers began to believe they knew better than John Moses Browning about pistol design on the Government Model of 1911. They did not and do not.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #779 of 1,730
Quote:

<SNIP>

You don't indicate if there is a reason you don't want another USP, but I'll say I love all three of mine. Well, the .40 has more bite than I would like, but I love both the HK .45 and the 9mm. In fact, much as I like the .45, I might prefer the 9mm. And at the range, I am better with it at 25 yards than I am with the .45. For home defense, the .45 is a no-brainer, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back