Gun-Fi
May 19, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #106 of 1,730
Hey Old Pa, I've seen those poly tipped bullets in 30/06 and was wondering what their benefits would be. Any thoughts?

May 20, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #107 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Old Pa, I've seen those poly tipped bullets in 30/06 and was wondering what their benefits would be. Any thoughts?

Polymer tip rifle bullets have been a significant recent improvement. They are well worth considering. There are three completely different applications they work in; you have to make sure you are getting the right ones for your purpose. In all applications the polymer tips resist tip deformation and improve ballistic coefficient (how well a bullet flies over long range). And remember: bullet placement (accuracy) is the most important thing.

Varmint: on the thin jacketed varmint loads these things drop back like wedges upon target impact and turn the bullets into little hand grenades. No real penetration, massive explosive expansion and energy dissipation. Read: thin skinned small game. Reprentative bullets are Sierra's Blitz and Hornady's VMax.

Expanding Big Game: the ideal expanding big game bullet upon target impact blows up to five times bore diameter, and barely makes it completely through the critter, falling to the ground on the other side, but leaving two hole to bleed the game out. Back in the real world, we are happy with a three bore expansion and complete penetration. Polymer tipped big game bullets are one way to effectively accomplish this as long as they are loaded (and hit the game) within their effective operating speeds. I like Hornady's Interbond series and lots of folks like Nosler and Barnes.

Target/Match (non expanding): These are decided to whistle on through the target. Enter at 2500 feet per second, depart at 2400FPS. While they have the increased accuracy benefits of no tip deformation/loss of shape and increased ballistic coefficient, they do not effectively transfer energy to the target for shocking stopping power. Kind of like Full Metal Jacket military rounds. Hornady AMax and Sierra Match Kings are of this type. Do not use if over penetration is an issue.

There is also a new series of Hornady with soft plastic tips for use in tubular magazines where the bullets endure recoil lines up tip to primer. This use to be the realm of flat bullet tips so as not to accidentally set off a primer with a hard pointy tip in the magazine during recoil. The new Hornady line alows improved ballistic performance when the soft pointed tip gets sharp again in the chamber.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but at this point whenever I'm discussing ballistics I am forced to bring up the ballistic topic of sectional density. Just so I can say I'm not referring to the women in East Texas.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #108 of 1,730
That wasn't too much at all. I was very curious about the terminal ballistics which you've addressed nicely. It was the Interbond rounds I was looking at. Seemed like a good idea to keep the tip in better condition and I like the light magnum ballistics though I haven't shot enough of them to have a good idea how they mate with my gun. Currently there are times I take a mag of lead tipped bullets out of my model 700 and they are deformed at the tip. Not a good thing if you care about accuracy. I'll give the Interbond a try. Since I mostly punch paper and I've got a lot of Federal match sitting around it might be a while. I found it very curious that I couldn't find this sort of information on Hornady's site but durned if I could find it and I spent a couple hours looking for it.

May 20, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #109 of 1,730
Altho I've grown up around guns all my life (stepfather was a small arms instructor, M-1 Garrand sharpshooter and marksman in the Air Force) the only 'firearms I currently have in the house are these.

Baikal Izh46M
SonyT-9084Medium.jpg

SonyT-9085Medium.jpg

My pride & jpy Steyer LP2 (10 meter match pistol)
SonyT-9088Medium.jpg

SonyT-9087Medium.jpg

And my CO2 Walther CP99 Trophy 'plinker'
SonyT-9089Medium.jpg

SonyT-9090Medium.jpg

The steyer is a fantastic prescision target pistol and I can shoot it indoors from right here in my den very inexpensively. I use a scuba bottle to refill the air cylinder. $5 worth of clean diver's air last me about a year. Right now I'm working on trying to get 10 shot groups at 10 meters (33 feet) about the size of a dime, single hand and open sights.
cool.gif

May 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #110 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the Interbond rounds I was looking at.

It's my understanding that the Hornady Interbonds also utilizes an adhesive technology to keep the core from separating from the jacket like some more expensive bullets. More expensive? With the way commodities like lead and copper took off for the last few years, all bullets are expensive.
frown.gif
Kind of like cigars.
frown.gif
frown.gif
I'm loading the 180 grain Interbond in the .300WSM for big game.

May 20, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #111 of 1,730
hermitt... not exactly firearms... but nice

i've always wanted one of those walther P99 air pistols but could never bring myself to pay $150 for one

May 20, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #112 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hermitt... not exactly firearms... but nice

i've always wanted one of those walther P99 air pistols but could never bring myself to pay $150 for one

Actually in some countries, such as Canada, anything over 500fps (like the $1300 Styer at 520+ fps) is considered as a firearm. The CO2 Walther is the Trophy model that has the nickel top and came with the red dot was around $230 and is around 420fps.

May 20, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #113 of 1,730
One of my favorite films is Bowling for Columbine, where there is comparisons of Canadian gun owners vs the American gun owners. Canadians are more nice than Americans generally.

May 20, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #115 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorite films is Bowling for Columbine, where there is comparisons of Canadian gun owners vs the American gun owners. Canadians are more nice than Americans generally.

An armed society is a polite society...

Do you realise how much disinformation there is in that movie don't you?

May 20, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #117 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only thing that Bowling for Columbine showed me was that Michael Moore can verbally attack an addle minded 80+ year old man without any reservations. Too bad the NRA didn't have a sharp-tounged spokesman there to embarass Moore and keep him away from the elderly.

Seriously, people who are involved in the "gun culture" are 99% of the time people who think first of protecting themselves and others.

Spareribs, you must live in a heavily populated city. If you get out to the country once in a while you might find concentrations of nice Americans.

May 20, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #118 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually in some countries, such as Canada, anything over 500fps (like the $1300 Styer at 520+ fps) is considered as a firearm. The CO2 Walther is the Trophy model that has the nickel top and came with the red dot was around $230 and is around 420fps.

well that's canada... they're... strange up there
wink.gif

May 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #119 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you willing to do the same with your audio gear? You don't really NEED to have it available all the time do you?

Of course not. You can't hurt people with headphones (maybe garrotting? lol).

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear lord man. Are you amoral?

No, I'm not amoral: Ideally said 'invader' wouldn't have access to a firearm either. But we know that's never going to happen, so moot point. :p

Anyway, some impressive (in some respects) looking implements shown on here, enjoy the thread!

May 20, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #120 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... you must live in a heavily populated city. If you get out to the country once in a while you might find concentrations of nice Americans.

You know although I agree that large cities tend to dehumanize its residents I believe we can still find nice people in them. Granted you have to look.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back