Gun-Fi
May 19, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #76 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

read our constitution and laws sometime.

This thread was started by enthusiasts and people who appreciate shooting. We know our hobby in this instance (you don't)... we understand the implications of what we own (you don't)... we're responsible owners (you obviously aren't) and I seriosly doubt you have the desire to own one. Like vpivinylspinner said... if you don't care for it then get out of the thread before your actions get it closed. G****m man... everyone deserves and opinion but comments like yours promts angry responses and another thread goes entirely down the crapper due to an individual's [size=x-small]complete lack[/size] of knowledge base. Quit it you guys... I'm tired of seeing disinformation ruin it... absolutely ruin it for other people.
mad.gif

I think this is a little harsh...Certainly, you and many other gun owners are responsible people, but just look at the murder rate here in the US. The problem is that there are lots of bad people out there, as well as ones who are just careless or stupid, and when you think of those people having arsenals like these...well, that's more than a little scary, and so I can certainly understand rincewind's point of view. It's a little harder for me to understand the point of view of those who say there should be much less regulation of gun ownership.
For what it's worth, I'd certainly like to learn more about this, maybe go to a range sometime. I've never fired anything heavier than an airsoft gun myself. Maybe when I turn eighteen...just a few more months...
eek.gif

May 19, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #77 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never fired anything heavier than an airsoft gun myself. Maybe when I turn eighteen...just a few more months...
eek.gif

definately check out the range, it is a lot of fun and you don't have to be 18. A lot of ranges are super friendly towards complete newbies, I've even taken my ex there on a few dates and we both had a blast. Try out as many types of guns as you can, don't just reach for the desert eagle or the m4 because they look good.

May 19, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #78 of 1,730
I have mixed feelings about this thread. Guns are a cool hobby but a lot of kids do read Head-fi and promoting guns to people under 18 is not really the best thing. Or maybe it is OK but it's a little sketchy.

But anway, nice collection of guns though. I would like to own an old World War 2 gun for memorabillia purposes but without the bullets.

May 19, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #79 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have mixed feelings about this thread. Guns are a cool hobby but a lot of kids do read Head-fi and promoting guns to people under 18 is not really the best thing. Or maybe it is OK but it's a little sketchy.

But anway, nice collection of guns though. I would like to own an old World War 2 gun for memorabillia purposes but without the bullets.

Kids are exposed to guns on TV and in movies on a daily basis. Actually, they see far more of them and in far more graphic display than what they will see in this thread. Really, I respect all opinions, but why can't gun enthusiasts have a discussion and share about their other hobby/passion without all the criticisim? I'm not slamming you about your post, but it strikes me as odd that folks are so upset about this thread.
confused.gif

May 19, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #80 of 1,730

May 19, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #82 of 1,730
Quote:

I think this is a little harsh...Certainly, you and many other gun owners are responsible people, but just look at the murder rate here in the US. The problem is that there are lots of bad people out there, as well as ones who are just careless or stupid, and when you think of those people having arsenals like these...well, that's more than a little scary, and so I can certainly understand rincewind's point of view. It's a little harder for me to understand the point of view of those who say there should be much less regulation of gun ownership.
For what it's worth, I'd certainly like to learn more about this, maybe go to a range sometime. I've never fired anything heavier than an airsoft gun myself. Maybe when I turn eighteen...just a few more months...
eek.gif

You hit the nail on the head.....there are, indeed, "lots of bad people out there". They are the problem. Folks always seem to think another law on the books will solve all the problems but history shows us differently. It won't solve a thing. Only the law abiding will pay any mind to any such law. Kind of like our immigration laws, tax laws, drug laws, etc....

This thread is filled with law abiding citizens show casing their legally obtained firearms that they use in their hobbies and for protection of themselves and their families.

You want to see something really scary? Do some googling about Nazi Weapons Law (March 18, 1938). Of course, this subject is really doing a disservice to the main purpose of this thread which is to allow fellowship between lawful gun owners about their hobby. For that, I apologize to the others who are enjoying this thread in the spirit it was intended.

May 19, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #83 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
I can appreciate that ppl need guns for two purposes: firing range competition and hunting (tell me if there's some other purpose, self defense doesn't count, because what's the different between if someone kills you or you kill them? Still a gun related death).

eek.gif

So, if someone tried to kill you, you'd just let them do it? There's no difference if you kill him or if he kills you. Still a violence related death.

That's why I carry a gun. Because it damn well matters to me whether I'm the one that lives or dies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems like an incredibly poor choice for close quarters defense, no offence. Just wondering why you use it when a pistol is much more manuverable in CQB.

Cause I ain't going to be doing the maneuvering.

At best, solo room clearing is a fool's game. At worst, it's suicide. So, I'll let the other guy play that game. I'll be hunkering down in my room, covering the door with my rifle and using a chair as a rest. To put it in gaming terms, I'm planning on spawn camping. If you're playing fair, you're doing it wrong.

May 19, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #84 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At best, solo room clearing is a fool's game. At worst, it's suicide. So, I'll let the other guy play that game. I'll be hunkering down in my room, covering the door with my rifle and using a chair as a rest. If you're playing fair, you're doing it wrong.

There are no medals for second place in a gunfight...

Marvin's right.

May 19, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #85 of 1,730
Quote:

I think this is a little harsh......

I don't.

Just saying...
plainface.gif

May 19, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #86 of 1,730
Quote:

I reckon for either purpose, the guns would be best kept at some arbitrary (although secure) public place, like a gun owner's depot of some sort, with auditing of time in/time out, and you take the guns when and where needed and it's on record.

Are you willing to do the same with your audio gear? You don't really NEED to have it available all the time do you? You clearly don't know much about the gun hobby. I fiddle with my guns daily. They always need fixed, cleaned, dirtied
cool.gif
, modified, scopes switched, mags loaded, widgets switched from one gun to the other, ammunition reloaded for, holsters tried on, or just admired.

Quote:

what's the different between if someone kills you or you kill them? Still a gun related death

There is an extremely large difference. In one scenerio I, the good guy, am dead, in the other, the bad guy who tried to kill me is dead. And what's even better, he won't be able to kill anyone else. That's a very large difference. Dear lord man. Are you amoral?

Hunting and target shooting are your legitimate uses eh? Well, I don't hunt (not with guns). My guns aren't for hunting, they are weapons. When I shoot at the range, it's not hunting practice, it's pretty much killing-people practice. Does that make you uncomfortable? Do people that practice martial arts make you similarly uncomfortable? The only difference is I'm a lot more practical about the whole self-defense thing.

Right now, I am lying in by bed with my dog and laptop, and I have three guns within reach, two of them loaded. I just got back from work, where I carry a gun every day. If you ever see me in public, chances are I will be carrying at least one gun. I have a loaded SKS in the trunk of my car. Uncomfortable? Too bad, this is our thread.

I don't really care. I'm tired of apologizing for taking responsibility for my own safety and those of innocents around me. Cops carry guns for shooting bad guys, and I do too, because I'm neither daft enough to think a cop will be there when I need him nor despicable enough to believe that his meager salary entitles me to his assistance. Did you see the videos of the cops crouching outside of VA tech with assault rifles scared to go in while defensles, innocent young women and men were being killed?

You want to talk about school shootings? Guns were illegal on VA tech's campus. This didn't stop a madman from killing 30+ innocent victims, but it did stop all who might have resisted him from having the tools to do so. Three of the students he shot had liscences to carry concealed weapons. They probably didn't carry because they didn't want to get expelled and ruin their career. As a college student myself, I get to make this terrible choice for mysef every day.

Gun owners are nothing short of oppressed. We have to practically be lawyers to keep from getting thrown in jail for 20 years over a harmless technicality like putting parts together in the wrong order or accidentally having more than x parts of foreign origin on our guns. Guns are weapons, they will not go away. Even an island nation like japan can't keep guns out; the mayor of nagasaki was just shot to death.

If you don't want to own guns, I think that is just great. I do. So just leave me alone.

May 19, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #87 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause I ain't going to be doing the maneuvering.

At best, solo room clearing is a fool's game. At worst, it's suicide. So, I'll let the other guy play that game. I'll be hunkering down in my room, covering the door with my rifle and using a chair as a rest. To put it in gaming terms, I'm planning on spawn camping. If you're playing fair, you're doing it wrong.

ah i see. I assumed a few things like you'd have family in other rooms you need to get to. Also when most of us hear a noise in the house we go and investigate instead of hopping in our ghillie suits and putting our sights on the bedroom door.

May 19, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #88 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My two favorites are the Sig 220 with tritium night sights and a T-Kote finish and the Steyr Aug in black. As far as I know, only 100 of the black Augs made it to the US.

The F88 Steyr is the only gun I've ever shot, considering I was a complete novice it seems very accurate and forgiving. The range instructor let off a reasonably accurate burst one handed. I got 26/30, format was roughly people sized rectangle targets would pop up at 75, 150 and 300m, in no particular order, usually 1 sometimes 2 would pop up and you have 5 seconds in either case, 1 bullet for each target, I was prone.

Seriously doubt the government here would let good citizens have one.

May 19, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #90 of 1,730
3041348756_315bb018c5_b.jpg

3040508423_94b6edb91c_b.jpg

It's hard to type when you're crying. I have the immeasurable pleasure of having had two sweet and good spaniel girls who are no longer with me. In fact, "Old Pa" got hung on me twenty years ago when I came upstairs with my new Brittany pup Jenny (motto: "Always with Old Pa") cradled in my arms. Maggie (motto: "Let's Go!") converted me to Springers; she was always loyal and true. Since both of these girls were real pistols, what better way to commemorate them?

3040483471_d033d1f34b_b.jpg

The Jenny gun is a stainless 3" heavy barrel .357Mag J-frame Smith&Wesson with Pachmayr grippers. This revolver, IMHO, is the finest "kit gun" Smith ever built. Light, compact, and powerful, it is "good in the woods." And, you will note, no "kiddie" locks; S&W stopped making revolvers when they came up with that idiocy. It lives in my Tumi briefcase when we're not out in the woods together. The Maggie gun is a Kahr P45 3.6" barrel .45ACP ("the one true caliber") and was good to go as stock. Its ergometrics and intuitive operating controls make it, again IMHO, the best .45ACP carry gun available today. It lives in my 511 vest or on my hip. My girls may be gone, but they are always with their Pa. And just like when they were covering me with their zeal and courage and hair and spit, they won't let any harm befall me on their new watches.

I am not looking forward to selecting the next one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back