Gun-Fi
May 18, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #61 of 1,730
3040487075_e7b3a2757c_b.jpg

Medium, light, and heavy tactical precision rifles. Top is the medium; a Remington 700 Tactical (left-hand) with 26 inch tube. Its internal box magazine has been custom lengthened to hold its preferred fodder of 175gr Sierra Match Kings seated to be 0.010” off the lands when chambered. It’s scoped with a Leupold Long Range Tactical 4.5-14x50mm (30mm tube) and mil-dot reticle; note the extended scope leveler. Trigger has been replaced with a Timney that breaks like a glass rod at 2.5#. Shooting sling is pretty standard but of a synthetic material that is much more stable than leather; no rattle swivels. It wears a VAIS comp. I can shoot this gun into 0.375” at 100 yds.

Middle is the light; a AR-15 HBAR (stainless) in .223Rem, free-floating 24” tube with another VAIS. It’s wearing a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm that’s built on a 1 inch tube with standard turrets. It has a lighted mil-dot reticle for low light use and is fitted with a crisp JP Performance trigger. Standard load here is a Hornady 60grain VMax. This is a 0.50” gun for me.

Bottom is the heavy; a completely custom H. S. Precision left hand short action in .300WSM with 26” barrel and another VAIS. It’s wearing a Leupold LRT 6.5-20x50mm (30mm tube) with mil-dot reticle and scope leveler. The trigger is a thing of beauty and art, breaking cleanly at 2.5#. With loads as first worked up, and the bullets must be seated well back from the lands to fit in the detachable magazines, this rifle shoots under 0.50” for me at 100 yards with 175gr Match Kings.

May 18, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #64 of 1,730
Seriously, you Americans scare the living **** out of me. And you scratch your heads and wonder why things like Columbine happen.

This thread makes me think of a "That's My Bush!" episode where the final line is: "Americans have the right to bear arms, but not the right to arm bears."

Australia (and most other countries) definitely have their own problems, but some things on this planet have gotten ridiculous.

I appreciate the guns shown for the fact that they are precision-built well engineered tools, but only in the same way I appreciate a well made pen or speaker.

Exhibit A) This thread.

Exhibit B) This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzD2qV6a8k

Yeah I know they only picked the dumbest, most enthusiastic twits they could find from (what I assume was a larger group of) 'normal' ppl they interviewed, but multiply whatever factor of ppl own guns by the number of twits shown in the video, and consider that roughly this fraction of ppl are armed. Some for every waking hour of their day (as described in an earlier post). Go get 'em boys.

May 18, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #65 of 1,730
Though I'd like to get into long-range rifle targetshooting, I haven't the cash. And even if I did, I don't know what to buy and I dont know of a shooting range in the area (South Bend). And besides, I don't think I'd be allowed in at age 14.

May 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #66 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, you Americans scare the living **** out of me. And you scratch your heads and wonder why things like Columbine happen.

This thread makes me think of a "That's My Bush!" episode where the final line is: "Americans have the right to bear arms, but not the right to arm bears."

Australia (and most other countries) definitely have their own problems, but some things on this planet have gotten ridiculous.

I appreciate the guns shown for the fact that they are precision-built well engineered tools, but only in the same way I appreciate a well made pen or speaker.

Exhibit A) This thread.

Exhibit B) This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzD2qV6a8k

Yeah I know they only picked the dumbest, most enthusiastic twits they could find from (what I assume was a larger group of) 'normal' ppl they interviewed, but multiply whatever factor of ppl own guns by the number of twits shown in the video, and consider that roughly this fraction of ppl are armed. Some for every waking hour of their day (as described in an earlier post). Go get 'em boys.

[standard response]
1. if guns and their owners scare you... you could just NOT CLICK ON THE THREAD
2. you DON'T HAVE TO REPLY
[/standard response]

May 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #67 of 1,730
People like myself who have large collections of rifles don't really fire them all but collect different kinds of guns. Also there is a type of rifle that is better suited for different hunts, thus why i have multiple .3006 and .308. As for the columbine comment, I honestly believe that the crazy people you see didn't grow up around guns. A lot of my friends had never fired a gun before and everytime i let them chose which they want to fire hands down they all go for the AK47 instead of the 4k shotgun, or other higher end guns. I believe in their mind they think oh hey that looks crazy lets go for that, where as some one who appreciates guns would notice the craftsmanship of a better rifle and not go for the flashy AK. Just my $.02

May 19, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #68 of 1,730
Quote:

You seem unable to distinguish possession from intent. For what it's worth, I would much rather die than harm you.

May 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #69 of 1,730
My two favorites are the Sig 220 with tritium night sights and a T-Kote finish and the old Smiths. The HK and Rugers are also high on my list of favorites. I'd love to get my hands on a Colt SAA. A friend has a set of 5 that have never....NEVER...had the cylinders turned! I'd kill for just one of those.

One of my biggest regrets is not doing the DCM shoots which would have allowed me to buy an M1 Garand for....heaven help me....$100.
blink.gif
I get sick everytime I think of that wasted opportunity. Two of my buddies have absolutely wonderful specimens for $100 and 40 rounds of ammo. Just a sick, sick feeling if I'm being honest.

May 19, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #70 of 1,730
I know the ppl on here are probably 99% responsible etc. No offence intended.

I can appreciate that ppl need guns for two purposes: firing range competition and hunting (tell me if there's some other purpose, self defense doesn't count, because what's the different between if someone kills you or you kill them? Still a gun related death). I reckon for either purpose, the guns would be best kept at some arbitrary (although secure) public place, like a gun owner's depot of some sort, with auditing of time in/time out, and you take the guns when and where needed and it's on record. This kind of warehouse would be best in industrial suburbs etc, not next to townhall :p I think there would be less incidents with kids in homes and crazy idiots taking them to public places with only malicious intent.

May 19, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #72 of 1,730
Quote:

I can appreciate that ppl need guns for two purposes: firing range competition and hunting (tell me if there's some other purpose, self defense doesn't count, because what's the different between if someone kills you or you kill them? Still a gun related death). I reckon for either purpose, the guns would be best kept at some arbitrary (although secure) public place, like a gun owner's depot of some sort, with auditing of time in/time out, and you take the guns when and where needed and it's on record. This kind of warehouse would be best in industrial suburbs etc, not next to townhall :p I think there would be less incidents with kids in homes and crazy idiots taking them to public places with only malicious intent.

You have made your point but you insist on hanging out in this thread that scares you so much. This thread was started for a specific reason and you crapping on it will only get it closed so maybe you can try to act civilized and go away.

May 19, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #73 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never understood airsoft... or more specifically that level of airsoft gun... recently saw a half-decent looking airsoft K98k and it was $500 i spent $190 for a russian capture K98k

being able to target shoot in your own home whenever you'd like, with something that works very similar to real steel. Also airsoft games are the biggest adrenaline rush ever. Playing with magazines that hold realistic capacities in unfamilar terrain, hunting and being hunted by a human target.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So really, my AR as loaded is much less of an overpenetration threat than any pistol I own.

it seems like an incredibly poor choice for close quarters defense, no offence. Just wondering why you use it when a pistol is much more manuverable in CQB.

May 19, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #74 of 1,730
Quote:

self defense doesn't count, because what's the different between if someone kills you or you kill them? Still a gun related death).

why would I be concerned about the statistics of gun related deaths if someone is invading my home? Maybe gun related deaths disturb you, but there are worse statistics out there like vehicle related deaths, or impaired driving related deaths. How many people choose to partake in those activities compared to gun ownership?

May 19, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #75 of 1,730
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

read our constitution and laws sometime.

This thread was started by enthusiasts and people who appreciate shooting. We know our hobby in this instance (you don't)... we understand the implications of what we own (you don't)... we're responsible owners (you obviously aren't) and I seriosly doubt you have the desire to own one. Like vpivinylspinner said... if you don't care for it then get out of the thread before your actions get it closed. G****m man... everyone deserves and opinion but comments like yours promts angry responses and another thread goes entirely down the crapper due to an individual's [size=x-small]complete lack[/size] of knowledge base. Quit it you guys... I'm tired of seeing disinformation ruin it... absolutely ruin it for other people.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back