Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Mar 15, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #136 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're angry about that?

Open your mind a bit, won't you? Derek Bailey is easily as important to guitars, and music in general, as Hendrix.

Wrong smiley I guess, I'm sorry...
No I'm not angry, why should I be..?
I just don't understand what's so good about his playing.
There's no melody in my opinion.
His left hand technique isn't really good I think.
I am by no means an expert, I tried to play the guitar but find I am not really a natural...
It's a bit as listening to that weird sort of jazz some people enjoy so much, with the tempo shifts and no melody what so ever.
It's just not for me...
I've seen "Harry Sacksioni" and "Eric Vaarzon Morel" live some time ago, and although I don't listen to their Cd's a lot, that was impressive guitar playing!
Look them up, and then tell me you like your guy better...
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #138 of 203
icon10.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, his left (and right) hand technique is astoundingly good.

But yeah, there is no melody. That doesn't really matter much to me though.

I'm not sure how to say it in English...
When his left hand grabs a cord it's not "just right" there's resonance of not pressing enough on the fret.
That's one of the things I find so great when great guitar players grab 'm just right and don't have that resonance.
But hey, that's just me offcourse...
I'm especially impressed when some guys are playing real fast, and I mean blinding fast like for instance Joe Satriani or Steve Vai can do, that the notes all sound perfectly clean.
That's not to say I love the music of either Joe or Steve, but they're technique is unbelievable I think.
I love melodious (?!) guitar playing (for instance I just love the very short guitar solo of John Frusciante in "otherside" on Californication)
It's a good thing we all like different things to listen to, other ways we all would be listening to the same 100 or so cd's...

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #139 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

I'm not sure how to say it in English...
When his left hand grabs a cord it's not "just right" there's resonance of not pressing enough on the fret.

He wants to do that! He is playing harmonics, which you get when you play lightly directly above the fret.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #140 of 203
Here's a few guitarists that rarely get mentioned. If you ever get a chance to see them, they'll blow your socks off.

Peppino D'Agostino
Tim Sparks
George Lynch
Frank Marino
Jim Matheos
Frank Aresti

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #142 of 203
Upon a time, after Ozzy was fired from Black Sabbath,
Sharon (future wife) told Ozzy ...
to get in a moderate state of humanity and audition a new band!
Ozzy recalls: "I was absoluteley screw*** freaked at that thought of auditioning people.
I'd never auditioned anyone.
What right did I have to say that a guitar player was crap when I'm a screw*** singer?"
Some time later someone recommended Randy Rhoads to Ozzy.
Ozzy and Randy Rhoads went to a nearby studio ...
Randy started asking Ozzy what should he play.
'Play any screw*** thing', Ozzy recalls.
'Randy started to play and it was like God entering my life.'

randy-rhoads-2.gif

See you on the Randy Rhoads
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #143 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, but I like the way he played those songs better. I really like Randy, but I like Zakk (1988-1992) MUCH more. Jake was good, but the songs written during that time were, overall, horrible. BATM was an exception, just Zakk played it better. The sad thing is, due to Zakk's prolonged drinking, his image went from young, rebel prodigy to a drunk, sloppy playing biker. To see what he was and what he is now really makes me angry that he cared so little about what he COULD have been...

Personally, I think that Randy is a little overrated. His growth from Blizzard to Diary was astounding though. I did not care for much of Blizzard, but every song on Diary is a work of art to me. Diary was Ozzy's most solid album ever. I thought that Randy, if he lived, would make most guitarists green with envy, but he said that he wanted to pursue classical guitar... something that would have required him leaving the band. He had great melody, that is for sure, but he sounded a bit like Eddie Van Halen, a pioneer of wankery. Zakk is also a wanker (both in his playing and his drunkness), but I liked his harder edge while still having good melody given his playing style.

I dunno, Randy was more talented than Zakk, but it was his tone, not skill or ability that took away from his music, IMO. Maybe it was the time period, as Ozzy's first two albums had the sound of that guitar driven era. I find myself listening to Live and Loud MANY more times than Tribute, mostly because I like Zakk's playing more than Randy's.

I can't agree with that at all. I much prefer Randy. Zakk IMO overplays and plays too fast. When he slows down and puts more thought into it hes much better. But his style is to overplay and play as fast as possible. The Albums with Randy are classics, the albums with Zakk will never be. I like No More Tears album and a couple of tracks here and there of the rest of Zakks stuff but theres not the depth of composition, as there was with the best of Randy's stuff. Zakk often simply shreds as fast as he can. I kinda like Jake E Lee though too.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #144 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe nested in this thread somewhere, but truly one of the most unique sounds and talented guitarists in the past 20 years.

Lindsey Buckingham

amen to that. it's a crying shame he's so overlooked. ever heard "Big Love" from The Dance? that is amazing. i hear it's even better on his solo work..

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #146 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't agree with that at all. I much prefer Randy. Zakk IMO overplays and plays too fast. When he slows down and puts more thought into it hes much better. But his style is to overplay and play as fast as possible. The Albums with Randy are classics, the albums with Zakk will never be. I like No More Tears album and a couple of tracks here and there of the rest of Zakks stuff but theres not the depth of composition, as there was with the best of Randy's stuff. Zakk often simply shreds as fast as he can. I kinda like Jake E Lee though too.

Zakk is great but there's something missing in his playing.
Randy is God while Zakk is not and this thread is, as I recall, about Guitar Gods.

What I have written, I have written. Amen.

blink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #147 of 203
Quote:

Zakk and Randy have two different playing styles. I personally like Zakk's fast style (when he was sober). It was very good live and really added to the energy of the show. I think Zakk adds that frantic Southern rock sound that really went great with Ozzy at the time.

Randy, at the time of Diary (Blizzard is not all that good, IMO), was one of the best. I really liked what he added to the songs, but I think he was best when he stopped sounding like an 80's guitarist and displayed that more laid back sound. The title track is a great example of this.

I listen to Diary and NMT WAY more than all the other Ozzy studio albums, because of the fact that they had the best chemistry and musical passion. They flowed well and had great songs. When I want to rock out though, its Live and Loud at volume 11 for me.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #148 of 203
Quote:

... I kinda like Jake E Lee though too.

BATM is a good album, but I thinks it's funny that people only ever seem to [kinda] like Jake E Lee. Ultimate Sin was a good album in its day - it just dated very quickly. This suggests to me that Mr E. Lee's music lacked the qualities that allow music to be enduring - Jake was OK in his own time. Thus, he lacked one of the requirements to be a god, enduring quality.

Randy Rhoads had class by the bucket load, and Zakk Wylde was just truly amazing - either of them worthy of the God title. Poor old Jake E Lee, really had no more than any other run of the mill hair band widdler. To my mind, if Ozzy hadn't booted Jake, Ozzy's career would have died within a few years. Zakk was more than just a chicken picken' redneck - he offered Ozzy's career a future. One that allowed him to become a reality TV star and to dine with the President. Oh the life of a heavy metal superstar.
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #149 of 203
This post is my Tribute to the phenomenal guitarist Randy Rhoads!

Today is March 19. On March 19, 1982 Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane accident.

Ozzy recalls:

"I've had some great guitar players over the years, there's no doubting that.
But Randy was unique."

I think that the sentence above (and probably the two sentences below)
were written by Ozzy Osbourne perhaps in the late 1990s or 2000.
The Tribute to Randy Rhoads CD was reissued (remastered) in 2001.
The Blizzard of Ozz was released (remastered, remixed (oh no!)) in 2000.
This means that Ozzy compared Randy to Zakk Wylde as well.

"Guitar players have a thing where their guitars are an extension of their penis.
With Randy, he was an extension of his own guitar. There's a big difference.."

As I mentioned in my previous post Ozzy described meeting the 23-year old guitarist in mid 1979 as being akin to
"God entering my life."

B000063DGC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65931078_.jpg

blink.gif

P.S.
I took those three sentences from the inlay accompanying The Tribute to Randy Rhoads CD which many of us have.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #150 of 203
The picture on that cover is, IMO, right up there with the cover of DSOTM in terms of being absolutely timeless... instantly recognizable. One thing Randy did, that does not get enough credit, is he probably saved Ozzy's career and life by being such a good force and collaborator in his life when he needed it the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back