Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #121 of 203
Why does it matter 'how many'? Fact is there are no doubt tens of thousands of very very good guitar players. Tons of people sit at home jamming just for fun who are absolutely incredible. Thousands of jazz, blues, and classical players wail away in obscurity. Many are no doubt much better than some of the names we have named. Musical enjoyment is not a contest, nor is a list.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #122 of 203
musical ability is totally subjective. some people think that shredders are bland and talentless. some people think that people randomly playing dissonance and calling it art are geniuses. a list of greatest guitarists would have to include everyone that's ever picked up a guitar...

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #123 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some people think that people randomly playing dissonance and calling it art are geniuses.

Speaking of, here is one of my favorite guitarists ever. I don't expect many of you to like, in fact I would guess most of you would mock it. However, it does give a glimpse of how vast the world of 'guitar gods' is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4P5raW49kQM

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #124 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
musical ability is totally subjective. some people think that shredders are bland and talentless. some people think that people randomly playing dissonance and calling it art are geniuses. a list of greatest guitarists would have to include everyone that's ever picked up a guitar...

... because I remember that I picked up a guitar once when I was drunk.
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #125 of 203
It's all a popularity contest. Those with the most memorable (Read: NOT the best) riffs, solos, and whatnot will be the ones at the top of the list, with very few exceptions. I'm sure that if Lennon or McCartney were better at the guitar, the powers that be in music would put them at the top with little hesitation. I personally think that these lists, though a good way to find new music, are laughable in their attempt to objectify something that is subjective. Also, you might want to find the pattern between record sales and the ranks in those lists...

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #126 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all a popularity contest. Those with the most memorable (Read: NOT the best) riffs, solos, and whatnot will be the ones at the top of the list, with very few exceptions. I'm sure that if Lennon or McCartney were better at the guitar, the powers that be in music would put them at the top with little hesitation. I personally think that these lists, though a good way to find new music, are laughable in their attempt to objectify something that is subjective. Also, you might want to find the pattern between record sales and the ranks in those lists...

Yes, that's right, but you forgot about human nature factor.
People want some points of reference and such lists, subjective as they are, give some rough insight.
Plus let's not forget about some thrill and fun while constructing such lists or
submitting your (subjective) recommendations.

By the way the number of Guitar Gods is, you bet, The Number of the Beast
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #127 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of, here is one of my favorite guitarists ever. I don't expect many of you to like, in fact I would guess most of you would mock it. However, it does give a glimpse of how vast the world of 'guitar gods' is.

Being a guitar player I can definately see that what he is doing is very difficult and it's most certainly original. But who cares. I don't want to listen to abstract harmonics and totally unmelodic improv for any length of time.

I'll take some Chet Atkins please. Who would scoff at that?

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #128 of 203
Quote:

Ah, one of my favorites too. The man is an absolute harmonic genius!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a guitar player I can definately see that what he is doing is very difficult and it's most certainly original. But who cares. I don't want to listen to abstract harmonics and totally unmelodic improv for any length of time.

I'll take some Chet Atkins please. Who would scoff at that?

I highly respect somebody who is able to take this kind of approach to understanding him. Nobody ever said you have to like this man's music, but the fact that you can at least see that what he's doing is unique and difficult is all that really matters. There's a huge difference between enjoying something and respecting something, which is certainly the case for me with a lot of metal artists. Kudos.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #129 of 203
I remember reading somewhere long time ago that Jimmy Hendrix, during his short career was actually a gadget fanatic. He had to try every electronic device that he could get his hands on to plug into his guitars.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #130 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading somewhere long time ago that Jimmy Hendrix, during his short career was actually a gadget fanatic. He had to try every electronic device that he could get his hands on to plug into his guitars.

This fits in nicely with the fact that Mr. Hendrix was an outstandingly innovative producer in the studio as well. His albums, though not apparent today, were very ahead of their time.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #131 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This fits in nicely with the fact that Mr. Hendrix was an outstandingly innovative producer in the studio as well. His albums, though not apparent today, were very ahead of their time.

Have you seen the video that SRV did for Little Wing? In addition to lots of guitars being made and played by greats, there is a clip of Jimmy alighting one of his guitars on fire on stage. Very good video. Dang, I just recently read who now owns that guitar, I believe it's a strat, but I suddenly got a bad case of CRAFT
blink.gif

On a side note, I just finished watching the companion dvd that came with Kenny Wayne Shepherd's new album, 10 Days Out. Some very cool footage of some of the early founders of blues.
cool.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #132 of 203
Finger Pickin' Good!
just cuz' he hasn't been mentioned for awhile...Clarence White!
friggin' incredible.
Doc Watson
Larry Coryell

in a totally different vein - Neil Haggerty from Royal Trux...noone does it like this.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #133 of 203
Quote:

Your right about one thing...
I allso don't expect many people to like that...
Sounds awfull in my opinion
mad.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #134 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your right about one thing...
I allso don't expect many people to like that...
Sounds awfull in my opinion
mad.gif

And you're angry about that?

Open your mind a bit, won't you? Derek Bailey is easily as important to guitars, and music in general, as Hendrix.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #135 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're angry about that?

Open your mind a bit, won't you? Derek Bailey is easily as important to guitars, and music in general, as Hendrix.

I dont think he was angry about it. I also wouldnt go far to call him as important as Hendrix, or many others even. Derek Bailey had a profound influence on a lot of people and ALOT of music, but most of that music is outside what most people even consider music, and certainly popular music. Expecting most to like him, or even appreciate his is too much. However, those who are really concerned with music should at the very least respect his position in music, and try, at least a few times, to understand what music like his means to people.

But, more to the point is that this 'guitar god' thing is obscenely subjective. We have too many differing criterias, are there are simply so many amazing musicians in this world. Defining someone as a god or not doesnt really address the music or serve the music. But now I am repeating myself.

I hope some of you can dig Derek a bit. If you are still completely baffled by his popularity, I would suggest reading the thread I posted. As some have said, getting into Derek Bailey has allowed some of us to view ALL music differently, and it is a wonderful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back