Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Mar 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #106 of 203
It might be of some interest to you.
Here is the CBS Top 20 Guitarists of All Time:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
3. Eric Clapton
20. Angus Young (AC/DC)

Top Twenty
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #107 of 203
Crap list.

First of all: KURT COBAIN??? That guy gets my vote as most overrated artist EVER!!! I am so sick of hearing about how great he was. Sorry, right time, right place. Nothing more, nothing less.

Slash should not even be on that list. James and Kirk? Give me a break!! They are good metal guitarists, but there are so many other metal guitarists that make them look like beginners. These lists are pointless, as it is a popularity and "Oh, I heard that they were good, so they must be good" kind of mentality. The fact that they put Brian May over David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan is the nail in the coffin.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #109 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeluiz22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. John Entwistle.

So true!!!

While Jones is certainly no featherwight, The Ox will be the most awesome bass player ever - at least for me
biggrin.gif

If you wanna know how good he really was, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU

It's the isolated bass play from a live version of "Won't get fooled again".

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #111 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slash should not even be on that list. James and Kirk? Give me a break!! They are good metal guitarists, but there are so many other metal guitarists that make them look like beginners.

Ugh, cant believe im getting dragged into this. There isnt a guitarist in the world that makes Slash look like a beginner. In terms of sheer speed and melodicism using only pentatonics he is beyond virtually anyone else. Kirk and James? Maybe. But again, are you only concerned with technical skill? If you dont like Metallica fine, but the fact is:

1. That studd is NOT easy to play
2. There is asbolutely no denying their IMMENSE influence on music.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #112 of 203
Quote:

More of the same nonsense...

Does anyone really take RS seriously?

I don't - it's a joke of a magazine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
So true!!!

While Jones is certainly no featherwight, The Ox will be the most awesome bass player ever - at least for me

If you wanna know how good he really was, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU

It's the isolated bass play from a live version of "Won't get fooled again".

Nice clip. Definately talented and fun to watch/listen.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #113 of 203
Which GNR song do you thing really highlights Slash as guitarist and earns him a position on that, or any other list?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, cant believe im getting dragged into this. There isnt a guitarist in the world that makes Slash look like a beginner. In terms of sheer speed and melodicism using only pentatonics he is beyond virtually anyone else. Kirk and James? Maybe. But again, are you only concerned with technical skill? If you dont like Metallica fine, but the fact is:

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #114 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could care less about technical skill. I value emotion, passion, and melody. As far as I'm concerned, neither Slash, Kirk, nor James are not as good in what I value as many other guitarists on that list or that I listen to. Don't get me wrong, I think they are very good, but top 20, please...

...and if you want to talk about influence, where's Tony Iommi? Randy Rhodes?

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #115 of 203
ok, def agree with the OP on Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton, I'd also add:
David Gilmour
Slash
Joe Walsh
Peter Frampton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Allen Collins & Gary Rossington
Pete Townshend
Santana
Eddie Van Halen
Kirk Hammett
B.B. King
Chuck Berry
the 2 most underappreciated: Joe Satriani &
Steve Vai
I gotta have these(sorry classic rock purists)
Randy Rhodes
Dimebag Darryl
Zakk Wylde

some of you may not consider these guys gods, but
Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule) and
John Petrucci (Dream Theater) are up there in my book

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #116 of 203
for you blues guitar people... this is a great CD/DVD

Kenny Wayne Shepherd
10 days out
Blues from the backroads

fun as hell through a good headphone!

attachment.php

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #117 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which GNR song do you thing really highlights Slash as guitarist and earns him a position on that, or any other list?

Paradise City, especially the outro solo.

Quote:

Could care less about technical skill. I value emotion, passion, and melody. As far as I'm concerned, neither Slash, Kirk, nor James are not as good in what I value as many other guitarists on that list or that I listen to. Don't get me wrong, I think they are very good, but top 20, please...

...and if you want to talk about influence, where's Tony Iommi? Randy Rhodes?

Besides Kirk in RS, who even said Top 20? Iommi and Randy are atleast on the list, unlike Hetfield or Slash. All I am saying is Slash is very good, whether he is your style or not.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #119 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 2 most underappreciated: Joe Satriani &
Steve Vai

How are they underappreciated? I'm sure everyone agrees on their ability, but it's another thing entirely to turn from a shredder to a true god.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #120 of 203
Given the suggestions of the greatest guitarists ever
on this thread, Rolling Stone 100 greatest, etc.
I wonder what would be an approximate number of the greatests?
Would it be, as traditionally, 100, or, say, about 50, about 30, ..?
We are talking here about "Creme de la Creme" of guitarists:
Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satrani, John Petruci, Steve Vai, ...
As we know if we admit to this list the fabulous ones like Pete Townshend, Angus Young etc
this list may even grow to, say, 200 guitarists.
Of course the length of this list would depend on whom we agree to accept to the list,
and here we're back to square one. Ha, ha, ...

Again, the question is very naive but I am just curious.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back