Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Apr 19, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #181 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by botching /img/forum/go_quote.gif
musicmind

I also hope i'm kidding but im not.It seems he knows just the basic blues chords and can never perform solos like garry moore, SRV and even the likes albert king! Oh well maybe i'm not just into his very simple style of blues playing.

Gary Moore, SRV, and Albert could never perform solos like BB either. Im a critic of the whole "guitar god" thing, but if ever there was one, BB is. He might even be THE guitar god.

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #182 of 203
(Guitar) God is dead! Long live (Guitar) God.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #183 of 203
Nine plus pages and not one mention of number 73 on Rolling Stone's "Bite The Back Of My Shorts Because That's more fun Than Reading This List" list.

The original Bad Lieutenant
evil_smiley.gif
Big Red himself
very_evil_smiley.gif
Ernest Giuseppe "Trey" Anastasio, the co-founder of a little band called Phish, and leader of several side bands.

Since I don't believe in God or gods I don't consider Trey a god. However, he is the best.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #184 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I've found:

Gillan matches riffs from Blackmore's guitar so perfectly that you'd almost swear
there are two guitars playing the same notes. Screaming or singing his dynamics,
phrasing and colour are hard to equal ...

From Chicago Sun-Times, Januarry 1972

blink.gif

You lost me, Adam. Lost me big time. Go Fogerty!

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #187 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that one concert with all of those people?

Yes, It was a birthday tribute to the Fender Stratocaster by some of the best (living) strat players. Of course there are a few more awesome strat players, such as Mark Knopfler, Robin Trower, Eric Clapton, Yngwie, etc, that weren't there, but it was still a rather good collection of players
eggosmile.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #188 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got this DVD. I love watching great guitarists having a good time
biggrin.gif

Seems like an dvd I would enjoy seeing
rs1smile.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #189 of 203
Ritchie Blackmore, Feb. 1971:

I play guitar very well and I feel I'm entitled to kick it around a little bit.
You know you can get sounds with your feet you can't get with your hands.

Yes, you're right Ritchie and now I understand why Pete Townnshend was
demolishing his guitars and other equipment on stage.

blink.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #190 of 203
Could it be? Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac was forgotten again?

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #191 of 203
Not sure what really makes someone a "Guitar God". A couple guys that haven't been mentioned yet that I like are The Edge from U2 and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top. I believe Hendrix said that Gibbons was his favourite guitar player.

Maybe it's because I have never played a guitar but I really didn't get Derek Bailey. I imagine some Jazz fans will want to kill me for my next statement but he reminded me a bit of Thelonious Monk in that he sounds like he knows what he is doing but is intoxicated so he can't quite do it right. I refer to Monk as the "Drunken Piano Player" when talking to my coworker who is a big Monk fan.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #194 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a great DVD. Although, I wasnt aware that Brian May was ever a Fender player, AFAIK he has played the guitar his dad made for him throughout his career.

I just did a search on him on wikipedia and in the equipment section is a long list of electric guitars that he's recorded with including "a Burns Double Six (Long Away), a Gibson Les Paul (as a backup during the early tours.), a Gibson Flying V (spare during Hot Space tour), a Fender Telecaster (Crazy Little Thing Called Love), an Ibanez JS (Nothing But Blue),a Greco BM90 (featured in the promo video of "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy", but was not actually used in the studio), and a Parker Fly (Mother Love)." He also had a Stratocaster as a spare during early Queen tours and a Les Paul Deluxe. It looks like there were several attemps to reproduce his Red Special through the years tho.
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #195 of 203
Oh, of course, I'm sure he's recorded with Fenders for a little tonal variation or taken them on tour as backup guitars, but I mean he is so much associated with his Red Special that I have never seen him play any other guitar. Maybe the compilers of the DVD put him on there so we could all see him playing a stratocaster finally
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing a Red Special copy in a shop a while back, but I couldnt see the manufacturer name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back