Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #362 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a pretty Strat... what year/model? EDIT: just noticed the Eric Johnson neckplate... guess that answers that!

I've been jonesing to pick one up for awhile... There are just so many different flavors. Right now I have my eye on the American Deluxe series, with the S1 switching. or maybe the '62 Vintage reissue.

then again, the Elvis Costello signature Jazzmaster looks pretty badass, as well.

i'm just going to have to go spend several hours at the guitar shop, and just keep playing them till i fall in love.
biggrin.gif

I have an American Deluxe V-Neck. When I bought it, it was the v-neck or the Eric Johnson. I had the opportunity to play both for an extended period and decided I liked the feel of the v-neck better so bought it. The EJ was nice but I just preferred the deluxe with v-neck. I initially thought the S1 switching was a bit gimmicky but I've been using it a fair bit lately.

Darcy

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #363 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my very first electric guitar, back in 1985, was an Ibanez with the same locking nut. i broke so many freaking strings because of that damned thing. ended up taking all the plates off because i couldn't stand it.

It wasn't the same locking nut-not all Ibanezes are created equal. Lower end Ibanez hardware is made out of very soft, malleable metal that is brittle and can develop sharp edges overtime. The higher end hardware is much more consistent and reliable-the particular trem system on my guitar (lopro edge7) is considered to be the best floyd rose in existence by many. It is totally bulletproof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't use the whammy bar on that thing? Seems like a crime, with the locking nut and Floyd Rose and all..
wink.gif

I have a couple of guitars already with the edge trem that I use in full floating mode with the trem bar. On this guitar, I have the trem completely blocked with a tremel-no for a nice boost in sustain and harmonics, so a bar can't be used.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #364 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't the same locking nut-not all Ibanezes are created equal. Lower end Ibanez hardware is made out of very soft, malleable metal that is brittle and can develop sharp edges overtime. The higher end hardware is much more consistent and reliable-the particular trem system on my guitar (lopro edge7) is considered to be the best floyd rose in existence by many. It is totally bulletproof.

it was a 1985 Roadstar Deluxe RS440, got it when i was 14 after saving my pennies for a year (i think i paid $450 or so at the time). i'd say it was the top-of-the-line of Ibanez's mid-range model.

that blasted locking nut snapped the strings right out of the box. but it was Ibanez's own lock, and not Floyd Rose (this was also 25 years ago)... so i'm sure that it wasn't the best designed piece of hardware. that, or i just abused the hell out of the whammy bar.

it did have a nifty little trick where, by pulling up the volume knob, you could switch the bridge pickup from humbucker to single coil configuration.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #365 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't use the whammy bar on that thing? Seems like a crime, with the locking nut and Floyd Rose and all..
wink.gif

I have a Kramer with the same Floyd Rose set up. More trouble than it's worth if you ask me. But then I suck with the whammy bar.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #367 of 833
i know im bordering on crossing topics here, but decware, the audiophile company is coming out with a guitar amp. their gear always gets rave reviews on this site.. anyone gonna check it out?

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #368 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Heß /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My baby:

is that a PRS?

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #369 of 833
Aria Pro II bass guitar that I bought in the 80s. Still fun to play!

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #370 of 833
Hey folks. I've been thinking about trying/buying an electric guitar. I make music, and the genre for the time being is electronica dance music and rock. I'll mainly be using it in a studio setting rather than live. There's so many electric guitars out there and I'm a newb to the guitar world. There's also amps (tube vs SS) and effects box to consider. Will $1000 for everything (guitar, amp, processors, etc.) be enough or is that price range considered subpar? I don't want to regret.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #372 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks. I've been thinking about trying/buying an electric guitar. I make music, and the genre for the time being is electronica dance music and rock. I'll mainly be using it in a studio setting rather than live. There's so many electric guitars out there and I'm a newb to the guitar world. There's also amps (tube vs SS) and effects box to consider. Will $1000 for everything (guitar, amp, processors, etc.) be enough or is that price range considered subpar? I don't want to regret.

I'd say roughly $1200-1500 would be a good budget, all things considered. Buying used gear can really save you a decent chunk of change if you are on a strict budget.

$4-500 on a nice used guitar, tons of deals on ebay and craigslist. I'd recommend a japanese made Ibanez from the 90s-they are inexpensive, versatile, and built very well.

$5-800 on a decent used tube amp, anything from a small mesa combo to a 5150, there is tons to choose from. This totally depends on the tone you are looking for.

$200 for a used tc electronic g-major, which will cover 95% of your effects needs. Or $399 for the new g-major 2.

Speaking of inexpensive 90s Ibanez guitars, here is my '97 RG570. Edge trem, Sperzel locking tuners, DiMarzio Evolutions. $250 from a pawn shop years ago, total steal.

IMG_4231.jpg

My newer '08 RG420CM. Edge III trem, mahogany body, cinnamon top. Stock pups for now.

IMG_0686-334.jpg

And my '00 LGM RG7620, again. Edge LoPro trem, red DiMarzio Evolutions, big brass tone block, tremel-no.

IMG_4091.jpg

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #375 of 833
This thread certainly deserves a bump.

Figured some of you fellow guitar fans might be interested in seeing this.  I've just finished building a "new" Strat for myself.  It's really tough to get the true color of it in pictures, but here goes anyways.  Check it out!  Click on the smaller pictures if you want to see them larger on flickr.  There are some more pictures of it on flickr as well that you can see by clicking on them.

The guitar is originally a 1991 MIM Strat.  The black paint and poly finish were ripped off (that stuff is STRONG) and it was then refinished with an aged (in color) nitro fiesta red.  The actual color of the guitar is hard to see in some pictures.  It has an orange/salmon hue to it.  The body is poplar I believe.

All of the electronics have been replaced as well.  I put in a set of Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups with a 7% overwind and a baseplate on the bridge pickup.  Mint green pickguard with aged white pup covers and knobs.  I made one tone pot into a master tone, and the other is now a blender pot, letting me mix the bridge and neck pickup together.
I've also got a treble bleed/volume kit put in.  The capacitor is an orange drop .047.

This thing sounds absolutely fantastic and plays beautifully.  It pairs up with my Blues Junior perfectly.  If you're looking for some sweet sounding pickups, definitely check out what Lindy Fralin has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back