Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 18, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #346 of 833
guitars are too awesome to be second page material, bump!
smily_headphones1.gif

4283518070_b1ca98f9a1_o.jpg

I just felt like experimenting with window light and postprocessing. This Les Paul was originally black, but I stripped the paint and refinished it natural. The top is really, really flawed and imperfect and the original black nitro finish seeped into the pores of the wood but I love how it looks. Very "real" and unique, I think.
my guitar on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #348 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! I want to strip my guitar one day.

Go for it; that statement is worthless without pics, alright
wink_face.gif

I think its the guitars that are painted with solid colors that look the best stripped as they have the most random figuring. All the "pretty" woods get stained instead.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #349 of 833
I love my Schecter Omen-6. As far as pedals are concerned, I have a rocktron short timer and a visual sound route 66. They are pretty good. I like them both a lot, but I'm looking forward to expanding a little farther with a distortion pedal and volume control.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #350 of 833
So recently I've been looking at getting a new guitar. I've been playing for around a year+3 months and I think I need to get away from the Squier Strat since I'm getting bored of it. I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul custom Ebony/Alpine White for around £250 off Amazon. I am actually sold on looks alone since I love the looks. So should I get one?

Edit: I just realised that there are fakes about :/ I was looking at this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...1&sn=Phoenixty Does anyone think they're fake? :/

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #351 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So recently I've been looking at getting a new guitar. I've been playing for around a year+3 months and I think I need to get away from the Squier Strat since I'm getting bored of it. I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul custom Ebony/Alpine White for around £250 off Amazon. I am actually sold on looks alone since I love the looks. So should I get one?

Edit: I just realised that there are fakes about :/ I was looking at this one:Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar Alpine White: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo Does anyone think they're fake? :/

I highly suggest you go out and try the guitar in person first if you can. Make sure you like how it feels and how it plays.
Remember that Les Paul's use humbucking pickups rather than single coil like the ones on your Squier. If you're planning on making that switch and haven't played a guitar with humbuckers yet, make sure you like what they have to offer before making a commitment.

As far as fakes go, you should be safe if it's from a reputable dealer.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #352 of 833
I just picked up a cheap Hagstrom F300 for fun.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #354 of 833
i've owned the same guitars for 20-25 years:

Acoustic: 1978 Washburn Prairie Song D62
my first guitar, handed down from my dad. the only upgrades are a nut and saddle made from fossilized walrus tusk, ebony string pegs, and new frets. i love this thing... it plays and sounds as good or better than every Martin i've ever played. in fact, i've never picked up an acoustic that i've liked more. and i've been offered a pretty penny for it many times.

Electric: 1987 Rickenbacker 620
totally stock. i just found out recently that the finish i have (Polar White with all black hardware) is somewhat rare, so it's become a bit of a collectors item. apparently Ric fans love the way the white tends to yellow over time. i love the sound of this thing.. it has the classic Rickenbacker jangle, but the solid body gives a fuller sound with amazing sustain and surprising versatility. here's Unknown Hinson doing a killer cover of "Manic Depression" on his 620:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

don't have any pics of my guitars, but i found photos that are basically identical to mine.

The Ric 620:

2-fullsize.jpg

4-fullsize.jpg

1-fullsize.jpg

standard output and "Rick-o-Sound" stereo output:

9-fullsize.jpg

and the Prairie Song:

wash_01.jpg

wash_02.jpg

wash_03.jpg

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #355 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for it; that statement is worthless without pics, alright
wink_face.gif

I think its the guitars that are painted with solid colors that look the best stripped as they have the most random figuring. All the "pretty" woods get stained instead.

Well I want to strip the guitar so I can put some nitro on it. It's going to be hard to get through the poly coating though..
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #357 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMG_4075.jpg

my very first electric guitar, back in 1985, was an Ibanez with the same locking nut. i broke so many freaking strings because of that damned thing. ended up taking all the plates off because i couldn't stand it.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #359 of 833
My baby:

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

New acquisition:
IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #360 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My baby:

that's a pretty Strat... what year/model? EDIT: just noticed the Eric Johnson neckplate... guess that answers that!

I've been jonesing to pick one up for awhile... There are just so many different flavors. Right now I have my eye on the American Deluxe series, with the S1 switching. or maybe the '62 Vintage reissue.

then again, the Elvis Costello signature Jazzmaster looks pretty badass, as well.

i'm just going to have to go spend several hours at the guitar shop, and just keep playing them till i fall in love.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back