Guide me: Best on ear headphone, for iPod Touch, under $200, with 90 degree connector to iPod
Aug 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

corbind

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for your headphone suggestions based on this:

-- on ear
--  must be able to control iPod Touch (skip, play, backward, volume)
--  64 ohm or less to conserve power
--  phone cable connection to iPod must NOT be straight (45 or 90 degrees since (I've bend straight ones quickly by accident by sitting in the car)
--  under $200

Essentially I'll have them any time I'm outside while listening to my iPod Touch 64.  Shopping, commuting, and other activities ranging from 20 minutes to 5 hours daily is the norm.  I've currently am demo'ing the Bose OE3 and they are nice but I got the ones without the iPod control by accident.  I like that they're fairly small (but even smaller would be nice as I look like a martian when I'm in the grocery store!).

I saw this thread but I have a couple of extra constraints
[size=12.727272033691406px]http://www.head-fi.org/t/591963/best-on-ear-headphones-driven-by-ipod-touch-no-amp-budget-up-to-200 [/size]

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I think the two best options under $200 would be the HD25 and the M80. The former comes with a right-angle plug, while the latter  comes with a 45 degree one. However, only the M80 has iPod controls. Just based on your current requirements, I'd choose the M80. However, it is significantly less isolating than the HD25, and their sound signatures are quite different.

I wouldn't worry about the impedance wasting power. It's honestly going to be quite insignificant between a 32 ohm and a 70 ohm headphone.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 16
+1 on the V-Moda M80s...  Such a strong headphone at that price range.  It's not 90-degrees, but 45 is what I prefer over 90 (does least damage to the strain relief while also not putting full tension on the cable).  The headphone jack is still one of the strongest I've seen.  

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 16
x2 for the M80s. Very good cans that just sound "right"- nice bottom end, terrific mids and a treble that you can listen to for hours. I like them much more than my AT M50s.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
x2 for the M80s. Very good cans that just sound "right"- nice bottom end, terrific mids and a treble that you can listen to for hours. I like them much more than my AT M50s.

I wouldn't call them "right".  More like, they don't do anything wrong and don't want to do harm.  Extremely relaxing, warm headphone to listen to.  

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Man I'm glad I joined up here getting responses from guys who know headphones.  I just watched the video review of the M-80 and his review seemed nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwm-14yBDc

I don't know the reviewers audio background but he was able to name off many other headphones at ease and seemed convincing and not pushy.  It fits my requirements above and I've now edited my OP to say I'll take anything but straight cable connection.  

I'll hold out for some more suggestions from the community as I don't have to buy anything for maybe a week.  Further, If I get the M-80 I'd like a matte black finish if available as it would seem to blend in the most with everything.  Where would I buy the phones at the good price from a reputable dealer (no fakes)?

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Man I'm glad I joined up here getting responses from guys who know headphones.  I just watched the video review of the M-80 and his review seemed nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwm-14yBDc

I don't know the reviewers audio background but he was able to name off many other headphones at ease and seemed convincing and not pushy.  It fits my requirements above and I've now edited my OP to say I'll take anything but straight cable connection.  

I'll hold out for some more suggestions from the community as I don't have to buy anything for maybe a week.  Further, If I get the M-80 I'd like a matte black finish if available as it would seem to blend in the most with everything.  Where would I buy the phones at the good price from a reputable dealer (no fakes)?

He's credible...  Probably one of the most credible people on Head-Fi...  

I don't think the M80 is available in a matte black :frowning2:  You get brushed cups on black with red accents or white with a matted silver.  Both are extremely attractive and beautiful though.  I myself have the white ones (profile pic).  Tyll has the black and True Blood editions.  

EDIT: To ensure you get warranty (you probably won't use it), it may be a good idea to buy authorized.  With that said, Amazon, LLC (Amazon direct, not a third party) as well as many brick and mortor retailers are legit.  As always, you can always purchase directly from V-Moda.  

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

He's credible...  Probably one of the most credible people on Head-Fi...  

Yep, that's Tyll at InnerFidelity. He very much knows of which he speaks. 

The M/V-80 does definitely seem to fit your requirements.  I'd be curious to hear a set one day myself.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 16
Well I'll hold off another day to see if there are more responses.  If the majority say V-Moda M-80 then I'll order one tomorrow.

Where is the best price for the V-Moda M-80 from a reputable online seller?  I have not decided on which color yet but am leaning toward inconspicuous as possible maybe black....

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Well I'll hold off another day to see if there are more responses.  If the majority say V-Moda M-80 then I'll order one tomorrow.

Where is the best price for the V-Moda M-80 from a reputable online seller?  I have not decided on which color yet but am leaning toward inconspicuous as possible maybe black....

All authorized dealers sell at the same price right now (that I'm aware of).  So choose any of them (Amazon LLC, V-Moda, brick and mortar stores, etc).

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I think buying from Amazon is around $170 atm, while buying from V-moda is around $230. They offer customized faceplates though.

They are 230 now.  I saw them 200 a few weeks ago for some reason.  Amazon would probably be the direction to go then.  Make sure you buy authorized though (Amazon direct; Amazon, LLC)

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 16
I got my headphones three days ago for $161 at Amazon.  The sound is quite amazing and the built quality seems to be high. Engineers really cared how it was made and apparently did not want a lot of breakage.  The size of the cups is almost perfect and the seal is good.

On the con side the cups don't extend low enough for my taste.  I have a buzz cut and the phones fully extended barely reach the proper point on my ears.  If I'm wearing a hat I have to choose to squash the hat to get the proper positioning or just wear the cups a little high (not by much).

But the one thing that is pretty much a deal-breaker is the pressure these things exert on my ears!  Like a darn vice.  I wear phones for long periods.  Yesterday for 4 hours and I was relieved when I finally took them off in my car to listen to my car stereo.  I wear glasses with the frame memory metal also so they deform and bounce back fine.  But the M-80 kept crushing my ears something fierce.

A day earlier I bent the phones so that the cans would angle slightly forward to contour to my ears and that worked rather well.  I tried to full extend the band horizontal to make them not crush my head so much but that did not work enough.  Is there a way to make these not crush so hard?

For two weeks I demo'ed the Bose OE-2 and thought they were light-weight, cups fit nice since they were oval like our ears, and okay.  They did not sound as good as some but were very comfortable.  Yet I bought the ones without the iPod controls so that was a deal-breaker there having to reach down to my iPod to advance songs

So now I'm in limbo again.  Accept the poorer sound but better comfort of the OE-2 or accept the powerful grip of the M-80...Or if there are other alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back