[GUIDE] Balanced AKG K702 with detachable 4-pin mini-XLR cable
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 67

Quote:
I have not tried it, but I can't imagine it'd be too hard. And I definitely agree that 4-pin XLR should be used more, though I can see the large size of the connector being a disadvantage compared to other balanced connectors (like the one used on the RSA Protector). Though the larger connector does also mean it's easier to solder... :)

Agreed. I'm surprised the 4 pin mini-xlr is not more popular for this usage. But the full size is bunches easier to work with.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 67
it's cause the full size 4-pin xlrs are design for speakers and pro equipment use and can accept much thicker gauges of wiring. they can accept up to 10-12 gauge wiring depending on the how the connector was design and using them for speakers the connectors actually don't seem very big at all using the thicker gauges. headphones it's super easy cause most headphones use only up to 22 gauge the thickest so soldering them to such a big connector is walk in the park. i only know pro audio uses XLR as a standard. i have no idea why it didn't reach it's way to the ''audiophile'' market. all they have is that ridiculous dual 3-pin XLR cable for balance use you see everywhere which i find completely unnecessary since 4-pin is already balanced as well and will add way less bulk and great if you want to keep the headphone single entry.

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 67
Quote:
 i only know pro audio uses XLR as a standard. i have no idea why it didn't reach it's way to the ''audiophile'' market. all they have is that ridiculous dual 3-pin XLR cable for balance use you see everywhere which i find completely unnecessary since 4-pin is already balanced as well and will add way less bulk and great if you want to keep the headphone single entry.

Amen. I could not agree more. The dual 3 pin is absurd.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 67
Where can I find a cable for 4 Pin mini XLR to 1/4"? I can't find one! Thanks for the help

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 67
I have been looking into that, I ordered the connectors. I really just need a part list, like cable, solder type, whatever else I need, I a, an experienced solder master lol, so if you could just link me some parts it'd be greatly appreciated

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #22 of 67
Here are the parts (Redco)
1) 4 pin male mini plug http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1296&bc=no
2) 4 pin female mini xlr plug http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1301&bc=no
Remember the hardest part is getting the 3 pin male xlr out of the K702 housing. Good luck!

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 67
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 67
So tell me if this is the right procedure:

I bought my TRS and my 4 Pin XLR, and my heat shrink tube, and my cable. The cable has 4 connectors.

The cable SHOULD have 4 different color conductors, hopefully. So I will unscrew the body of the TRS and of the XLR, to reveal the solder points. I will look at the pin #'s and pinouts for the both connectors. I will put the cable through the bodies of both parts. I will then solder the correct colored wire to each corresponding part on the connectors. Then, I screw in the body pieces to their connector heads. I then cut the heat shrink tubing to appropriate sizes, and place it partially over the connector, and partially over the wire. I then use a blow dryer to heat and shrink the tubing. Done.

Is that correct? :D

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 67
Just try it. If it doesn't work, you'll learn something from experience, which cannot be replaced by reading How-To's.

Just a tip: cut the heat shrink to lengths and slide it over the cable before soldering. It may not fit over the plugs.

And most importantly: Use a DMM to check that the cable is conducting properly before connecting it. It's an easy way to ensure not shorting the output of your amplifier. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #27 of 67
I'm sorry but what is a DMM, I assume a multimeter, and how can I use it the check if my cable ismcorrect

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:
I'm sorry but what is a DMM, I assume a multimeter, and how can I use it the check if my cable ismcorrect

Yes, multimeter - check pin to pin (pin 1 on one end, to pin 1 on the other) for current, then check the other pins around (pin 1 on amp end vs. pins 2,3,4 on headphone end) it to make sure you do NOT get current. Repeat until you are convinced there are not possible shorts. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #29 of 67
So can I just get a multimeter at like a local radioshack? I do not really want to go out of the house this afternoon. Are the 2 blue/2 clear wires labeled by chanceo n the Mogami cable, so I do not need a multimeter?

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 67
Radioshack is fine - you only need a very basic model. 

No the wires in 2534 are not labeled ... but beyond that, It's not so much the wires, but you want to make sure you didn't accidentally get any solder bridges causing shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back