GTA/Toronto Meet - May 28 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

PeAK

Head-Fier
This meet brought together both old and unfamiliar faces and their Associated equipment. It was Alucard's crippled HD 600 which brought tears :frowning2: and joy :) to the meet. It also signified the spirit of like-minded individuals having fun on a tremendous day of experimentation....pics to follow....

Here is the obligatory collage from my three hours (2pm to 5pm) at the meet:

About 80% of the attendees had shown up when I walked into the meet. Jerry ( jrham ) did a everyone a favor with the name tags with the official "Head-Fi.org" logo in the top left corner. I ended up setting up next to him with his compact Audinst HUD-MX1 headamp and classic AKG K240 Studio headphones. I decided to bring the first music server I ever set up (Sept 2014) based upon a dumbed down version of Linux designed just to play music called Daphile running on an Acer netbook using the onbaord Realtek DAC and some op-amp of unknown origin to drive the mini-headphone jack

Given the simplicity and power of the setup (it can rip and retrieve meta-data automagically), I think many would be impressed by the "sound" of the frontend Daphile music engine (Some say on the level of JRiver). I saw relatively few people venture near the unit as it is designed to be headless (minimize noise derived from active netbook graphics) and control was derived using a wifi link using the Squeezebox based "Squeezer" app. Tiny but powerful. It gets most of the advantage inherent in running bit perfrect FLAC files.

At the other end of the spectrum was the corner in which Bryan ( charliex )setup his vast collection of headphones with his Stax Electrostatic(s) taking center stage. He was in good company with oogabooga as he also brung along his Stax steed.

While we are treading in the deep end, we might as well put up a larger pic of Ross's backend comprising of the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC feeling the Stratus DNA headamp. It was sort of neat watching him install the large output drive tubes. He also wheeled in a chunk of other stuff but I'll let him describe his setup. His HiFi-Man HE-5 was also plagued with intermittent connections that will be soon rectified....those mini-coax connectors are just too tiny to work on without a magnifying loop.

Lets back up to the HD-600 that came to the meet on life support. I made a point to try familiar music on every setup at the meet...unlike last time. Impressed by the Audio-gd setup from the last meet, I ventured over to Alucard's setup and put on the phones. While we have rules about perfumes and oils crossing over to phones, the moment I slipped on his phones, I felt a slight dampness and waxy texture that was foreign to the soft velour when I wore them in the store. As I was seating them onto my ears, the left channel cut out. To make a long story short, Pavel came to the rescue...

...there were close to half a dozen pairs of the HD-800, so it was pretty easy to get a shot with two of them running at the same time at the same time....

Ray/PeAK

May 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 43
It was a treat to make it out and meet a lot of new faces ,finally, after missing out for a couple years.
People's willingness to take the HD800 challenge rages on and now I'm one of them.. There must have been a half dozen of the flagships there. Thanks, Pavel, for pulling it all together.

May 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 43
Having missed the last FallenAngel meet, it was great seeing old friends and meeting new HeadFiers.
I got in early giving me some time to share some good conversation and Obam scotch with my good friend Pavel (the host of this terrific meet).
He was quick to diagnose and repair my HeadRoom Maxed Out Home Headphone Amp and identified the issues with my Stax SRM-T1 amp (a favorite!)
The Stratus DNA amp and PS Audio Perfectwave Dac setup was impressive.  It looks like we'll be seeing a growth in 'team electrostat' based on the interest shown this meet.
I didn't get a chance to listen to the Grado SR 200 with the HP-1000 drivers brought by Ambchang - maybe next meet.
Almost forgot, I had a chance to listen to FallenAngels gorgeous Cavalli EHHA Rev A dynamic amp which I got to bring home for further listening and possible purchase - a great amp with my HD-800's.and capable of driving pretty well any phone.  I'm going to see if it can properly drive my AKG K-1000 phones and if so we may just have a sale.
Look forward to reading some more meet impressions.

May 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 43
Thanks to FallenAngel for hosting - it was great to come out and have some great times and hear some nice gear. Looking forward to the next meet up!

May 30, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 43
I wrote a bunch of notes on the headphone I heard in the meet. It's a bit rambley bu w/e

Stats with my haps1b and the exstata tube amp

He 60
650 on steroids. super warm and lush yet not overly laid back with 95 percent as good imaging as the sr009. Clarity is paradoxically good despite lush sound. Very textured sounding. Bass a tad muddy. Intimate yet out of your head stage. Best imaging out the 4.

Sr 007 mk1
Less lush than the he 60,  cleaner bass and more bass extension. Smoooooooth and laid back.  Imaging not as good as the he 60 but has a larger stage.

Stax lamada
Bright and airy  more forward the 007 with more bass impact.  Possibly u shaped?  Detail and seperation not as good as the others.

He audio jade

Between the 007 and lambda in brightness and forwardness.  Most detailed of the 4 stats though separation not as good as the 007 and he 60.  Treble a tad thin.

Shotgunz's Modded hd 800
Sound very similar to the 800s with maybe less lushness and more clarity and cohesion.  Still has the typical super wide but not a lot depth stage.

Ehha with my ethers c
Effortless with very good imaging and separation.  Great at low volume as well unlike wa6.

DNA stratus and perfect wave dac
Slight lack of clarity but imaging is very good. Low is louder and images better than iec mode.

Code x
Lots of depth with narrow stage,  clean and darkish neutral  with good imaging and speed strong bass but a bit wooly

Ether c
More forward sound a tad less depth.  More seperation and bass clarity and extension.  Similar tonal balance. A bit more neutral. Better imaging.

Bijou and hap1b
Complete and utterly non fatuging

Ether c
Bjous smooth and euphonic takes out any fatigue from the ether c.  Great imaging and placement. Great stage depth.

Grados hp 1000
Small stage,  instrument size is small.  Otherwise very neutral. Absorbs the bjoiu non fatiguing and smooth tone nicely.  A bit crammed sounding but good seperation and detail.

Grado hp1
Treble is splashy.  Bright very bright.
L couch pad give good stage. A bit u shaped with strong punchy bass. Good separation and detail.

Wa6 with eml 5u4g
Not as good as the psvane peakyier and worse imaging and clarity.

May 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 43
I wrote a bunch of notes on the headphone I heard in the meet. It's a bit rambley bu w/e

Stats with my haps1b and the exstata tube amp

He 60
650 on steroids. super warm and lush yet not overly laid back with 95 percent as good imaging as the sr009. Clarity is paradoxically good despite lush sound. Very textured sounding. Bass a tad muddy. Intimate yet out of your head stage. Best imaging out the 4.

Sr 007 mk1
Less lush than the he 60, cleaner bass and more bass extension. Smoooooooth and laid back. Imaging not as good as the he 60 but has a larger stage.

Stax lamada
Bright and airy more forward the 007 with more bass impact. Possibly u shaped? Detail and seperation not as good as the others.

He audio jade

Between the 007 and lambda in brightness and forwardness. Most detailed of the 4 stats though separation not as good as the 007 and he 60. Treble a tad thin.

Shotgunz's Modded hd 800
Sound very similar to the 800s with maybe less lushness and more clarity and cohesion. Still has the typical super wide but not a lot depth stage. [COLOR=FF00AA]Question: Which DAC/Amps(s) used ? [/COLOR]​

Ehha with my ethers c
Effortless with very good imaging and separation. Great at low volume as well unlike wa6.

DNA stratus and perfect wave dac
Slight lack of clarity but imaging is very good. Low is louder and images better than iec mode.

Code x [COLOR=FF00AA]Question: Which DAC/Amps(s) used...assume Stratus ? [/COLOR]
Lots of depth with narrow stage, clean and darkish neutral with good imaging and speed strong bass but a bit wooly

Ether c [COLOR=FF00AA]Question: Which DAC/Amps(s) used...assume Stratus ? [/COLOR]
More forward sound a tad less depth. More seperation and bass clarity and extension. Similar tonal balance. A bit more neutral. Better imaging.

Bijou and hap1b
Complete and utterly non fatuging

Ether c
Bjous smooth and euphonic takes out any fatigue from the ether c. Great imaging and placement. Great stage depth.

Grados hp 1000
Small stage, instrument size is small. Otherwise very neutral. Absorbs the bjoiu non fatiguing and smooth tone nicely. A bit crammed sounding but good seperation and detail.

Grado hp1
Treble is splashy. Bright very bright.
L couch pad give good stage. A bit u shaped with strong punchy bass. Good separation and detail.

Wa6 with eml 5u4g
Not as good as the psvane peakyier and worse imaging and clarity.​

I am impressed at how some ears, like cs098 in the above notes, can quickly summarize their listening points. Here is a pick of Courtney hard at work:

Courtney's electrostatic impressions, above, were using the Sony HAP-S1 (not sure what the "b" suffix implies [COLOR=FF00AA]Update: Actually HAP-S1/B implies a black finish. HAP-S1/S in silver finish[/COLOR]). Below is a pic of the unit along with his Ether C with a futuristic carbon weave look on the cups:

The Sony box even has a speaker output in addition to HDD storage, player, DAC, and headamp all finished in gun metal. I can see this being one possible direction for the industry but my own experience is that "everything" (network cables, power supplies, USB cables) all seem to have enough fine differences on systems that are nearing "end game" territory where the audibility is, to me, more significant that a different "digital filter" setting.

Three hours go by pretty quick. Bryan announced last calls, so I made myself over to a busy table. Someone beside me did at gasp at the site of the HE Audio Jade electrostats.
I got to listen to a unfamiliar cut and heard an effortless transient speed complimented by a fast tifght bass. More interesting this morning was the link I found describing the background of this headphone that was all the rave in 2012 and where the founder of HiFi Man got his start

May 30, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 43
Great meet as always.

Still didn't have time to try out the HE60 and the Jades

The HD800 sounds great with the wire and the Hegel DAC, pretty much the first time I like the HD800 :)

The DNA PerfectWave set up was phenomenal, the Ethers, Code X sounded great coming out of them.  Too bad I didn't have enough time with them, as *shock* chatting with you guys was even more enjoyable than listening to the music.

May 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 43
It was great seeing everyone again, and especially making ambchang finally enjoy the HD800.

For anyone interested in building a wire, here is a link to where you can get more info.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=The_Wire_-_All_Boards_and_Kits_Explained_Here

May 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 43
Honestly the 1000's stage isn't that small, but when you go up against the stats, my ether c and the hd 800s, it's pretty small in comparison.

Still sounded crazy good though, def the best sounding grado you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back