GTA/Toronto Meet - May 28 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 43
Actually, I have been using the EML solids and 5U4G a lot with the Code-X and find that pretty good. I recently picked up a HD800S and have been searching for the right synergy. It's funny you should mention the EML meshes because after the meet l dusted off a pair I hadn't used in months. Wow those guys really slam and the bass and treble are the most refined I've heard yet. It might be a bit much treble energy though for unmodded 800's. I'm out of town and I can't remember what 6N1P is in there right now.

May 31, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #21 of 43
As luck would have it, I got my LHlabs Geek Pulse Infinity in the mail yesterday, so unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring it to the meet.

I spent about half an hour of it powering the HE500, SR200, and used the line out to the KGSS for the SR007 MkI.

Drove the HE500 VERY well, SR200 sounds a little lean in comparison (nature of headphones). The SR007 sounded odd at first, but then became phenomenal after I played with the filters, but I am still figuring out how to (if I can) bypass the digital attenuator in the line out.

The DAC/amp is very detailed. I will bring it in next time around.

May 31, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 43
Actually, I have been using the EML solids and 5U4G a lot with the Code-X and find that pretty good. I recently picked up a HD800S and have been searching for the right synergy. It's funny you should mention the EML meshes because after the meet l dusted off a pair I hadn't used in months. Wow those guys really slam and the bass and treble are the most refined I've heard yet. It might be a bit much treble energy though for unmodded 800's. I'm out of town and I can't remember what 6N1P is in there right now.

The Mesh's are definitely hard hitting tubes. They are a good match for the Code-X's (coincidentally, I had a pair as well!).  With the 800's, if the Psvanes seems to be the best thus far.

May 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 43
As luck would have it, I got my LHlabs Geek Pulse Infinity in the mail yesterday, so unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring it to the meet.

I spent about half an hour of it powering the HE500, SR200, and used the line out to the KGSS for the SR007 MkI.

Drove the HE500 VERY well, SR200 sounds a little lean in comparison (nature of headphones). The SR007 sounded odd at first, but then became phenomenal after I played with the filters, but I am still figuring out how to (if I can) bypass the digital attenuator in the line out.

The DAC/amp is very detailed. I will bring it in next time around.

I am in the process of mucking around with "digital filters" and came across a white paper of sorts by those leading lights (Canadian) at Sabre/Resonessence:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/what-are-digital-filters-and-why-are-they-requried-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-techn

Be interesting to hear the details of your experimentation. Even more interesting is whether you hear differences between it being deployed at the music server end or the DAC firmware end?

May 31, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #25 of 43
I have the Concero. I usually forgot to turn on the apodizing filter, but when I do, it seems like the sound is slightly smoother. Of course, it's hard to quantify and I doubt I could detect it in A/Bing.

May 31, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #28 of 43
I have the Concero. I usually forgot to turn on the apodizing filter, but when I do, it seems like the sound is slightly smoother. Of course, it's hard to quantify and I doubt I could detect it in A/Bing.

It would be neat to audition your Concero but I missed it, again. I could have killed another bird in that corner by also listening to another miss: The SR-007 phones that I have heard so much of. Next time....

Getting schooled...:
I heard a lot more gear this time. When I got back home, I found out what a EHHA (yet another DIY Cavalli gift to the world), Code-X (Modified HiFi-Man HE-5) are and got some feedback/recommendation on Neutrik 1/8" plugs.
You all know that gnawing feeling that a a $10 3.5mm to RCA mail adapter bought from "Radio Shack/Source" is not really cutting it dispite being backed by a pair of really decent $200 silver cables....weakest link, Bud.

Trends:
The products from Oppo (HA-1) and Sony (HAP-S1) with similar half-width cases finished in tasteful look-alike gun metal. The Oppo being the more traditional DAC/Headamp while the sony adding "server" and speaker amplification capability. The Oppo included a Bluetooth remote connection to control a motor powered volume pot.

Emphasis still seems to DAC/Headamp with the front-end source typically being a laptop running Foobar on Windows. I guess the notion that the feed being "Bit Perfect" makes this portion of the delivery chain less important...I hear otherwise: I have been following threads on minimal players (i.e. MQN) and quieting plug-ins such as JPLAY and Fidelizer that aim to optimize/quiet non audio related activities. The idea is that we really do not want "other" activities to take away from the main activity of audio playback.

Next Time:
These are items that have made it to past meets that on a short list for audition:
  1. Bryston BDP-1 or replacements
  2. Resonessence Concero
  3. HiFi-Man HE-1000
  4. Stax SR-007
  5. Cavalli Liquid Gold

Most of these are just for my reference on where the "State of the Reasonable Art" is and also on where classic products like the SR-007 are...it is what brings me out to the meets.

Ray

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #29 of 43
Moar photos! :)

Pavel...I hear you but the selection left is getting low so I thought I make up for it by posting larger sizes.  

The back of the room had your new EHHA amp sitting on top of the Bijou. It was in the process of being packed up when cs098 hooked it up for me through the Bijou. Neat feature was the variable feedback/"secondary gain" knob but I found its effect subtle through the Sennheiser phones pictured below based on only one cut.  I like the compactness of the EHHA with the logo placed on the bottom left. Anyone know the identity of the amp on top of the Sony server, below ?

That's Amber chilling with the HP1000 (I think). The laptop is an Apple laptop unit driving the Augdio-gd. On a familiar piano cut with Grado SR-80 the overall sound was fairly undistinguished and twangy. I was told that the amp was best used in balanced mode.  Pavel should enjoy this pic, for if you were to click and zoom in on the Sennheiser phones to the right of the laptop, you would see the "before state" of these phones that made Pavel...well in his words...ANGRY!...:angry_face: ...nothing that a soldering iron and replacement modular plug could not take care of....

...witness another satisfied customer (with said phones, above, in "after" state)....:beerchug:

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 43
Hey I got photos as well :p

Grado hp-1000, ether C, woo audio 6 and Sony hap-s1

DNA stratus and perfect wave dac and the Ether C

Exstata amp with sr-007

Baby Orpheus

Code X (he-5 mod)

He Audio Jade

schiit wyrd, custom amp? and hegel dac, hd 800 (x2)

akg 240 studio

magnum v5, hd 580 and hd 650

Grado gh1

a very messed up pair of hd 600

he-400i and the senn momentums

hd 800 (x2) oppo ha-1

ehha and the bijou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back