GS1K - Cushion Surgery
Nov 26, 2009 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
I couldn't stand it any longer. The Grado GS-1000 has these $45 cushions that open up the soundstage, which works great if you're using them with a Melos or other headphone amp so warm it needs an open window. Otherwise, things get tubey in the wrong way. Whoops goes the midrange! Time for the $700 upgrade, the Darth Grado, with a shiny, metal, ahem, ash tray.

As I was saying, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I got my medical license (that's Dr. Bilavideo, if you don't mind) and performed a cushionectomy, the liposuction of $45 salad bowls. I didn't know if it would turn out to be like so many other Bilavideo projects - dead or dying in the freaking desert of the surprised but-shouldn't-have-been. Knowing I had a spare pair in case my Frankenphones went south, I decided to give this thing a go. Nobody was there to stop me so I went cut, cut, cut - and it worked! Muhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Pictures are forthcoming!

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 22
bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4132-l-cush-salad-bowls.jpg

bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4134-cut-uncut.jpg

bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4135-cut-uncut-back-back.jpg

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't want to oversell the mod but the sound is definitely improved. It was my belief that the cushions had as much to do with the GS-1000 sibilance issues as anything else. The G-Cush salad bowls provide a serious upgrade in comfort and style, but for iPods and amps that aren't nearly as warm as the Melos amp John Grado tuned these to, it's overkill. The sound signature shifts too far over. Yet, even before Grado came out with the GS-1000, modders were finding ways to add a few millimeters of extension between their RS-1s and the standard L-Cush pad. They wanted a more open soundstage, and they got it with a vengeance.

I wouldn't dream of making any changes to the GS-1000 drivers but when it comes to modding an extra pair of $45 cushions, there was nothing to stop me from taking a little off the top - which I did. The result? Balance is restored. These cans still have a bigger soundstage than the RS-1 but they're now tuned to the equipment I have, not the Melos John Grado has. Bass is thumping. The midrange is back. The HF is rich but tamed. It's a better mod than switching the bowls out for the L-Cush from the RS-1 or the old flats of yesteryear. What's more, the comfort is still there. These babies feel great.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was my belief that the cushions had as much to do with the GS-1000 sibilance issues as anything else.

I totally agree with you here. To my ears, the GS-1000 (after burn-in) is actually quite dark with the regular bowl pads. One of the reasons for the supposed long burn-in period on these cans may have to do with the big bowls needing time to be squished in enough while on someone's head.

An alternative processes to tame the treble peak (I'm too cheap to perform surgery on expensive pads):
  1. Squish these big bowls between two phone books or digi-key catalogs.
  2. Put in thin piece of cloth or baby wipe tissue over the driver openings.

I wonder if there is any interest in a big bowl pad according to your customized design which would be less expensive. I can ask my dad who has manufacturing contacts in China.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 22
THE SAME IDEA WITH THE SR60

Here is an open-backed SR60 with the bowls cut back about 4mm to create a wide but flat surface. The HF is restrained and the bass is back. The sound is lush and full. I'd put these up against anybody's RS-1s. Somebody tell Paula Abdul to throw down the flag.

bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4151-sr60-thinfull.jpg

Ugly? Sure. Clear as a bell? Oh yeah.
bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4150-sr60-alien-eyes.jpg

Look out, Jeff Goldblum!
bilavideo-albums-gs-1000-surgery-picture4149-sr60-fly-eyes.jpg

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to oversell the mod but the sound is definitely improved. It was my belief that the cushions had as much to do with the GS-1000 sibilance issues as anything else...The HF is rich but tamed...

No question! I loved every thing about the GS-1000 except the shrill highs on some CDs. So I stopped using them, which made me sad, and meant I wasted money (I got them used, nonetheless still expensive).

But a number of people at meets suggested, as you point out, that flattening the pads would help, but unlike you I am all thumbs, so I had Larry at headphile make me custom pads,, similar to what you ended up with, and the result is fantastic!

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Last night I packed away my PS1000s, convinced that the jumbo bowls were not working out for me. And I have an EAR HP4 amplifier, so there should be no problem in the amplifier department. But to bring up the mids on the PS1000 I had to turn up the volume, but then the bass became overwhelming. I tried the regular Grado bowl pads, but this did not sound good at all. I was thinking about modding the jumbo bowls, similar to what the original poster had done, or squishing the pads. Has anybody else tried cutting down the jumbo bowls?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pic's of the Headphile pads, please!
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, I'm a terrible photographer. I will borrow the wife's camera this weekend and snap away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back