GS1000 suitable amp?
Jul 1, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still wondering whether anybody has listened to GS1k's with an Opera as well.

I did and liked the combination:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=16

If you like the GS1k with your current SS amp, the Opera is a save bet, IMO.

Cheers
Kurt

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #47 of 72
How about GS1k with MAD Ear+ Purist HD150 amp? Please comment.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #48 of 72
What I have read about is no good. RS1 is the best match to MAD Ear

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about GS1k with MAD Ear+ Purist HD150 amp? Please comment.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #49 of 72
The Mapletree was the worst I've ever heard the GS1K sound (at least with whatever tubes were installed at the meet). Complete midrange suck out.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #50 of 72
[size=xx-small]First, get a pair of RS-1's...[/size]

Alternatively, get a set of regular bowls or flats, but that'd be a waste of $300 (the diff between new RS-1's & GS-1k's).

I RMA-ed my GS1k's on Friday. Just didn't have enough classic Grado magic for my tastes.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just didn't have enough classic Grado magic for my tastes.

For some of us that's plus on the GS1K side.
wink.gif

Jpelg you have the EC/SS right? Could you comment on the pairing with the GS1K (maybe, if possible, with and without the GS1K should equal RS1+ perspective)?

Jul 2, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #52 of 72
I am now thinking that a Woo WA2 or WA4 combined with a Stello DA100 DAC may be a suitable solution for the following reasons:-

1) I prefer standalone discrete components. This is not set in concrete though. e.g. Opera.

2) I am getting past the paranoia of having tubes in a house with kids in it!
blink.gif

3) The build quality of the Woo amps looks excellent.

4) This combination will come in below $2k

I am still open to other suggestions and I would definitely like to hear any comments on the combination I am looking at or any other ways you can help me spend my money!
biggrin.gif

cheers
Simon

Jul 2, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #53 of 72
Thank you so much for your comment, Blackmore and blessingx. I'm looking for a solid state of 300-400 U$ price range to work with GS1k. Does the Heed canamp work?

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I RMA-ed my GS1k's on Friday. Just didn't have enough classic Grado magic for my tastes.

I admit, I am having a hard time making a decision on the GS1k's. I've been listening to them since Wednesday, powering them with the Melos. To these ears, the bass is absolutely amazing, the most powerful and real bass I have yet to hear in a headphone.
basshead.gif
In no way is the bass "out of control" as I've heard others say. This could either be due to amplification or just my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
The large soundstage is very cool, and very unique sounding, though I don't know how to elaborate on this "unique-ness" further. Of course, that sweet Grado midrange is not present
frown.gif
, but it is not quite as recessed as I imagine. The highs can be shrill, and the area between the mids and highs can get a bit slippery at times, meaning sometimes vocals placed prominently in the mix can fly out of the midrange and into the sibilant sky.

I tried bagels, bowls, flats, and reverse 414 pads. I prefer the stock bagels.

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #56 of 72
I am a bit surprised that MELOS get the voices in some strange positions. I am having non of that. In my set up they stay always separate and pretty much up front. Not shrill or anything like that, always smooth and pleasant. Maybe your tubes part of that issue

I am having some problems with HIGHS as well, but with ROCK records only.

Can you be a bit more specific what kind of music cause highs issue please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit, I am having a hard time making a decision on the GS1k's. I've been listening to them since Wednesday, powering them with the Melos. To these ears, the bass is absolutely amazing, the most powerful and real bass I have yet to hear in a headphone.
basshead.gif
In no way is the bass "out of control" as I've heard others say. This could either be due to amplification or just my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
The large soundstage is very cool, and very unique sounding, though I don't know how to elaborate on this "unique-ness" further. Of course, that sweet Grado midrange is not present
frown.gif
, but it is not quite as recessed as I imagine. The highs can be shrill, and the area between the mids and highs can get a bit slippery at times, meaning sometimes vocals placed prominently in the mix can fly out of the midrange and into the sibilant sky.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basshead.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

This pretty much mirrors how I feel about my GS1K. There's so much to love, especially the bass, yet I can't look past the sibilance and the recessed midrange. As for the soundstage, I never get the "closed in" feeling I get with most headphones. It's like it seamlessly extends forever.

Maybe there'll be a GS2K that'll be closer to by sonic ideal, or maybe I'll just get an HP-2
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit surprised that MELOS get the voices in some strange positions. I am having non of that. In my set up they stay always separate and pretty much up front. Not shrill or anything like that, always smooth and pleasant. Maybe your tubes part of that issue

I am having some problems with HIGHS as well, but with ROCK records only.

Can you be a bit more specific what kind of music cause highs issue please.

Specifically the Depeche Mode SACDs, which feature Gahan's vocals prominently, are when I first noticed the slippery mid-high I was talking about. I've heard some say the GS1k is a good classical phone, but to me this is not the case. The highs make the GS1k completely inappropriate for large orchestral works, in fact it sounded downright terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This pretty much mirrors how I feel about my GS1K. There's so much to love, especially the bass, yet I can't look past the sibilance and the recessed midrange. As for the soundstage, I never get the "closed in" feeling I get with most headphones. It's like it seamlessly extends forever.

Maybe there'll be a GS2K that'll be closer to by sonic ideal, or maybe I'll just get an HP-2
wink.gif

The soundstage really is marvelous, and I'm not normally a soundstage guy. I understand what you mean when you say it "seamlessly extends forever".

Getting an HP-2 is not a bad idea. It also has a wonderful, if different, soundstage, excellent imaging, superb PRaT, and the most ultra-smooth Grado midrange of any Grado I've heard.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spontaneous question regarding the GS1000...

Have they gotten anyones foot tapping?

Yeah, on a couple tracks it has, namely on beat heavy club house type music and two channel Grateful Dead soundboards (dick's picks, from the vault, etc.).

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #59 of 72
Hmm, totally opposite up here, love it with orchestral. Do you mean cello's or horns, orchestral I mean.
Sorry for all this questions, just interesting where I have to focus the next time.

THX A LOT

jjhatfield;3084126 said:
Specifically the Depeche Mode SACDs, which feature Gahan's vocals prominently, are when I first noticed the slippery mid-high I was talking about. I've heard some say the GS1k is a good classical phone, but to me this is not the case. The highs make the GS1k completely inappropriate for large orchestral works, in fact it sounded downright terrible.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #60 of 72
I have backed off from the Stello DAC and remain undecided about which DAC at present. I will stick with my MicroDac as one poster suggested for the interim.

Anyway, She Who Must Be Obeyed, SWMBO I believe in netspeak, has finally given permission to proceed with this purchase. So I have 95% decided to go ahead with a Woo WA2 with some tube upgrades and Blackgate output capacitors.

Any last comments/suggestions before I press the key?

cheers
Simon

NB, thanks to all for the suggestions about how to spend my money!
biggrin.gif

A worthy post number 200!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back