GS1000 suitable amp?
Jun 27, 2007 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

The Pieman

500+ Head-Fier
I am fortunate enough, I believe, to have a set of Grado GS 1000's. I am currently using them in conjunction with a Headroom MicroStack and a PC. The type of music I listen to is all over the place, from Beethoven, Chopin through to metal and punk.

My current thinking is that the MicroStack is not doing the GS 1000's justice and I need something with a bit more drive. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel there is something missing.

To this end I am looking at a new amp/dac rig for home. I have been doing alot of searches and reading on Head-Fi, but I have probably read too much now and have been finally overwhelmed on the subject!
confused.gif

So far what I am thinking would be appropriate would as, in no particular order, follows:-

MF X-Can V3 + X-Dac V3 + X-PSU V3 + dependent on a new source, X-10 V3 (Tube Buffer)

Corda Opera

Gilmore GS-1 plus a DAC to be decided. Suggestions on DAC very welcome.

HeadRoom Desktop

Stello Headamp/DAC combo. GS 1000 Compatible??

EC/SS plus a DAC to be decided. Suggestions on DAC very welcome.

Note that I prefer Solid State. The only reason the the X-Can etc has crept into the equation is that the tubes are totally concealed. (I have a young daughter plus another on the way!
biggrin.gif
)

I am looking for any other suggestions of an amp plus DAC. I will consider tubes.

Many thanks

Simon

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 72
What kind of pricerange are we talking about? $500? $1000? $1500?

The first amps that come to mind when you say amp + DAC combo is the Corda opera and Grace m902. I haven't really read much about the GS1000 in combination with the Opera, but I thought it would be a interesting combination so I placed an order on one. The alternative (in the $1000-1500 range) would be the Grace m902. Well, new it's actually around $1700, but it's sound seems to justify it's price, especially with the GS1000.

Unfortunately that is all the feedback I can give.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 72
My price range is probably up to $2000. Damn Head-fi!
blink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 72
Grace m902.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 72
Note that it does not necessarily need to be an integrated amp/dac. They can be totally separate components. Also note that the Grace M902 is over 2k in Australia and they rarely turn up used.

I am also looking for peoples thoughts on the amps etc I included in the original post.

cheers
Simon

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 72
The Grace M902 may be a wonderful combination, I haven't heard it, but I do wonder if it's being repeated (not necessarily by those in this thread) over the last couple of weeks more than actually heard.

Likely because of the very unusual response curve of the GS1K, it's easier to list the amps to stay away from (Yamamoto most recently for me) than the ones that work. This is one finicky phone. From my two times owning them, I currently believe they work best with amps that have a signature that inches towards tubey, which usually means ... sorry to say due to your request ... tubes. Exaggerating the midrange a bit helps to counter-balance the often commented GS1K recessed midrange. It sounds like I'm knocking the Grados, but I'm enjoying them greatly at this point, they're just peculiar and need associated equipment to match. Some of the Woo or Singlepower amps, among many others, gives you options to tube-roll to find your preferred range. I don't know what your tube options are with the X-can or what models have tube amp 'cages' to protect prying fingers.
wink.gif
And there are certainly tubey sounding SS amps, but I haven't heard any with the GS1000.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 72
Not that much help, but still...

I am in the same league, but not the same level of budget
wink.gif

If I were you, I would stay away from MF X3 amp, especially stock one. I did try it with GS1000, first time in my life, and what a drama that was. No control over the BASS at all, bleh...

I am starting to think, more and more lately, about the building one. Not that I can build one, but maybe find someone who does. Custom build can be much better, just guessing here, and maybe less money as well, just maybe.

Seems that EC/SS is the best in the budget.

The biggest problem is that not that much people own GS1000. Another thing is that the number of budget amps, say within USD 500, isn't that impressive at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am fortunate enough, I believe, to have a set of Grado GS 1000's. I am currently using them in conjunction with a Headroom MicroStack and a PC. The type of music I listen to is all over the place, from Beethoven, Chopin through to metal and punk.

My current thinking is that the MicroStack is not doing the GS 1000's justice and I need something with a bit more drive. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel there is something missing.

To this end I am looking at a new amp/dac rig for home. I have been doing alot of searches and reading on Head-Fi, but I have probably read too much now and have been finally overwhelmed on the subject!
confused.gif

So far what I am thinking would be appropriate would as, in no particular order, follows:-

MF X-Can V3 + X-Dac V3 + X-PSU V3 + dependent on a new source, X-10 V3 (Tube Buffer)

Corda Opera

Gilmore GS-1 plus a DAC to be decided. Suggestions on DAC very welcome.

HeadRoom Desktop

Stello Headamp/DAC combo. GS 1000 Compatible??

EC/SS plus a DAC to be decided. Suggestions on DAC very welcome.

Note that I prefer Solid State. The only reason the the X-Can etc has crept into the equation is that the tubes are totally concealed. (I have a young daughter plus another on the way!
biggrin.gif
)

I am looking for any other suggestions of an amp plus DAC. I will consider tubes.

Many thanks

Simon

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that much help, but still...
Seems that EC/SS is the best in the budget.

X2!!! this may be the most undervalued amp on headfi today, having had owned one and I will pick up another after a move this is an amp that handles most phones with ease.
You may want to try the apogee mini dac as a dac with it.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 72
O.k. thanks, but did you use this one with GS1000 as well?

Do you know anything abouth the new version of EC/SS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2!!! this may be the most undervalued amp on headfi today, having had owned one and I will pick up another after a move this is an amp that handles most phones with ease.
You may want to try the apogee mini dac as a dac with it.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.k. thanks, but did you use this one with GS1000 as well?

Do you know anything abouth the new version of EC/SS?

yes briefly and liked it on the gs1000

I have owned the old version and heard the new one at Craig (Eddie Currents Home) and it was really good.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 72
O.k. so basically what are you saying, go for a new one
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes briefly and liked it on the gs1000

I have owned the old version and heard the new one at Craig (Eddie Currents Home) and it was really good.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 72
Well this may not apply so dismiss it if not, but since we're discussing DAC/amp combos too, I've tested the Lavry DA10 DACs headamp with several low impedance phones and the XLR out with Senns against the Lavry plugged into the [I'm guessing old and obviously single ended] ECSS, and preferred the Lavry solo. Especially on clarity and resolution the Lavry handedly won. I did not have the GS1K at the time to test though and I wouldn't recommend the Lavry by itself with the GS1K as the highs can be a little bright/sharp in that combo. So it may help that the ECSS has a little softer top end. It's certainly a very colored amp and it has the warmer sound than many SS amps, so may drift towards that GS1K recommenced sound I mentioned above. It may be a perfect amp for these cans, I wish I knew, and I think it's very good for the price, but with your budget (is it USD or AUD?) I do wonder if you could do better.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 72
I see that you use Woo6 with GS1K and thats a tube one, isnt. Can you tell anything about this combo please. Is Woo6 low/high gain amp or both.
I love my Aspen with any JAZZ records using with GS1K, but some other records showing the dark side of GS1 pretty easy. Anything like this in your combo to?

THX

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this may not apply so dismiss it if not, but since we're discussing DAC/amp combos too, I've tested the Lavry DA10 DACs headamp with several low impedance phones and the XLR out with Senns against the Lavry plugged into the [I'm guessing old and obviously single ended] ECSS, and preferred the Lavry solo. Especially on clarity and resolution the Lavry handedly won. I did not have the GS1K at the time to test though and I wouldn't recommend the Lavry by itself with the GS1K as the highs can be a little bright/sharp in that combo. So it may help that the ECSS has a little softer top end. It's certainly a very colored amp and it has the warmer sound than many SS amps, so may drift towards that GS1K recommenced sound I mentioned above. It may be a perfect amp for these cans, I wish I knew, and I think it's very good for the price, but with your budget (is it USD or AUD?) I do wonder if you could do better.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 72
Singlepower MPX3 is a good match with the right tubes. I've heard Audiofilers MPX3 (around $2K with upgrades), and it retired him from upgrades
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back