GS1000 suitable amp?
Jul 5, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see the WA6 also has the exposed tube issue.

Nice setup
blink.gif
BTW, isn't that book good. I like flipping through.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #62 of 72
Pieman, definitely the HeadRoom Desktop maxed (Max Mod, Max DAC, and stepped attenuator) with the GS1K. I ordered mine with Drew's Black Dragon. I like the setup with any type of music, classical to rock, pop to R&B. Vast soundstage, pump and whump in the bass, clear separations in the mids, liquid and warm. My most listenable rig.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pieman, definitely the HeadRoom Desktop maxed (Max Mod, Max DAC, and stepped attenuator) with the GS1K. I ordered mine with Drew's Black Dragon. I like the setup with any type of music, classical to rock, pop to R&B. Vast soundstage, pump and whump in the bass, clear separations in the mids, liquid and warm. My most listenable rig.

I did consider this but,.......By the time I land one of the Headrooms in Australia, maxxed it will cost at least another $1000 on top of what the WA2 will cost. So not an option.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice setup
blink.gif
BTW, isn't that book good. I like flipping through.

Thanks. Actually I have to admit I am pretty disappointed in the book. It's focused only on pop/rock and pretty much U.S./England, so 1000 are too many albums to do into depth with, and the coverage is not enough to really expand dramatically beyond titles in popular genres. Kinda like if 1,000 Places To See Before You Die only covered the continental United States. But I heard Angkor Wat in Cambodia and Uxmal in Mexico were kinda impressive.
wink.gif
Anyway accepting those severe limitations, it's pretty useful, but that title should be minimized a little. Most of my music is certainly pop/rock, but if death is imminent I hope I'd branch out more.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #65 of 72
Anyone's tried running them balanced with any of the Rudistor amps? Since I'm hopefully getting my amp soon, this could be interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #67 of 72
Please forgive me as I'm too tired to run through all the previous posts right now...I may be redundant here.

DAC: CI VDA-2/VAC-1 - NO BRAINER!

AMP - solid state is the way to go w/the GS1k's IMO as they are very 'tubey' in and of themselves. Analytical amps/dacs mate insanely well with these cans and complement their bass/treble spikes/peaks. Now, of course I'd say chose the KICAS amp(
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
) as a shameless self-plug, but since they're not due out until September at the earliest (don't worry, we'll debut here on Head-Fi anyway), I'd say the best SS thing out there by the competition is the GCHA - JFET sounds a little tubey anyway; Shipped to AUS, that's $1750 - $1800 tops. GCHA's are a bargain if purchased used.

IIRC, GCHA's also have a built-in USB DAC, but I'm not sure.

YAY! 1000th post on a GS 1000 (my cans
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please forgive me as I'm too tired to run through all the previous posts right now...I may be redundant here.

DAC: CI VDA-2/VAC-1 - NO BRAINER!

AMP - solid state is the way to go w/the GS1k's IMO as they are very 'tubey' in and of themselves. Analytical amps/dacs mate insanely well with these cans and complement their bass/treble spikes/peaks. Now, of course I'd say chose the KICAS amp(
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
) as a shameless self-plug, but since they're not due out until September at the earliest (don't worry, we'll debut here on Head-Fi anyway), I'd say the best SS thing out there by the competition is the GCHA - JFET sounds a little tubey anyway; Shipped to AUS, that's $1750 - $1800 tops. GCHA's are a bargain if purchased used.

IIRC, GCHA's also have a built-in USB DAC, but I'm not sure.

YAY! 1000th post on a GS 1000 (my cans
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Hmmmm... I wonder how that DAC stacks up to the Stello, DAC1 and Lavry DA10?

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #69 of 72
After much thought and reading I ordered a WA2, which I hope will ship this week. I decided that I wanted to try a tube amp. A tube amp is something that I can play easily with by tube-rolling etc. There is not alot a technical neophyte like myself can do with an SS Amp. I have worked in the electronics industry for a long time, long enough that I know that I don't like fiddling around with hardware. Putting PBA's into a PC is my limit.

As to the DAC, I am still undecided. The Channel Island product is still on the list. It has one negative, no USB. Top of the list at the moment is an Apogee MiniDac.

I have a new companion for the WA2 when it arrives, ATH-W5000. Amazing for closed cans.

Any pics of the KICAS amp??

cheers
Simon

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go, it's the red amp :

Thanks J. Please remember, it's a prototype (Yale.Reinstien bought this one right after the meet) and as such looks plain and ugly-ish. pbalcer (my partner in amping
biggrin.gif
) and I have changed the power switch, HP jack, inputs and power jack which will make this amp look a lot nicer in the end. We will offer the red colour (my personal fav) as well as the standard silver, black, blue, gold and green (ichhh on the green
tongue.gif
). I'm sure there are some impressions of the amp in the Toronto post-meet thread.

Cheers All!

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #72 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm... I wonder how that DAC stacks up to the Stello, DAC1 and Lavry DA10?

MANY who didn't like the Stello, DAC1 and DA10 like the VDA-2. It's been claimed the top DAC in the $1000 and under price range. Most people who can afford say the next step in SQ requires $4000 or more put into a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back