GS-1000 Lovers: who's left!
Aug 8, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
I just don't get it...to me...the single ended stock gs-1000 blew the balanced hd-650 clear out of the water...it was no comparison.

Come and listen to it now ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd S
Thanks humanflyz. Did you audition both? Agree with yellafella321?

Hey Todd, the DAC1 was at -20dB attentuation. I just changed it to 0dB, so now the Dynamight should sound a bit different.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #32 of 120
@Todd:

Yeah, I also heard that setup. Let me preface this by saying that I consider myself neutral when it comes to Senns. I don't particularly love, and nor do I particularly hate them. I personally lean towards the AKG house sound, but I can see why people would like the Senn sound signature.

With that said, I was impressed by the balanced HD650 setup I heard. I can definitely see how if you already like the Senn sound, the balanced setup would make it that much better for you. If I liked the Senn sound, then that's probably the route I will go.

But then again, I like the GS1000s more than the HD650s on every other setup I've heard except for the Dynamight+DAC1 setup. So to me, this is just an instance of good component synergy. I did not like the GS1000s on the same setup because I thought they became too sibilant for my tastes. But when I tried the same GS1000 on an Headamp GS1, I got a sound that I liked better. So again, if anything, this just proves that synergy is key.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #33 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
Hello and nice to finally be speaking with you all.

'Bout time you showed up!

It's not too often you see somebody w/ a first post reviewing their $1000 headphones, as opposed to --say--asking why the plug on their earbuds won't fit into the jack on their home stereo.
gs1000.gif

It's obviously too late to give the standard "sorry about your wallet," but then again, there are still many paths too the poorhouse available within the virtual walls of headfi.

Anyway, welcome.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 120
and folks, don't worry - there's always a purge after a binge for a FOTM. eventually the right cans will find the right owners and all will be right with the world.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #35 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and folks, don't worry - there's always a purge after a binge for a FOTM. eventually the right cans will find the right owners and all will be right with the world.

I'm kind of bothered, though, by this particular binge. What happened between the incredible impressions at the National Meet until now? Was something tweaked in between prototype and production versions? I find it hard to believe that a phone of this caliber would take this hard a fall so quickly, or that its apparently strong flaws would be passed over so much in the beginning.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #36 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
I'm kind of bothered, though, by this particular binge. What happened between the incredible impressions at the National Meet until now? Was something tweaked in between prototype and production versions? I find it hard to believe that a phone of this caliber would take this hard a fall so quickly, or that its apparently strong flaws would be passed over so much in the beginning.

personally there are only two times the GS1000 sounded like absolute crap to me.

1)Plugged the balanced version into the back of my melos' single ended XLR speaker outputs. Que Horible!

2)Plugged the balanced version into the Grado prototype balanced amp into an Original CDP. Un Poco Horible!

All the other times, I loved em and would buy them if I could afford them.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #37 of 120
I guess a Grado with a different soundstage is still a Grado, falling short of more popular appeal, and while trying to do so alienates some of the traditional Grado fanbase, hence its situation now.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #38 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
I guess a Grado with a different soundstage is still a Grado, falling short of more popular appeal, and while trying to do so alienates some of the traditional Grado fanbase, hence its situation now.

nah, it's definitely not the ugly stepchild. instead of thinking of it like a "doesn't sound like an old school grado, doesn't sound like a Senn" think of it more as a "takes the best of both worlds" with some folks just realizing they're more of a old school grado purist or a senn purist, which doesn't cut too much into overall sales.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #39 of 120
Once again, for myself: there is no situation. They are amazing headphones. I like them just as much now as the day I first heard them. All of the comments I made about them still hold true. I simply want to try out a pair of PS-1s, just in case I end up actually liking them even MORE. If I don't then I'll go back to the GS-1000s. Not trying a pair of PS-1s will always have me wondering to myself: 'hmmm I wonder if the PS-1s are even better?'.

Seems simple enough to me.

I wish I could afford BOTH the GS-1000s and the PS-1s, but I simply can't right now.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #40 of 120
Quote:

I couldn't agree more on this point.

Expect the same to happen with the Shure E500s (actually it already has started to happen). Also expect to see it happen for the 'iGrados' as well.

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #41 of 120
Quote:

nah, it's definitely not the ugly stepchild. instead of thinking of it like a "doesn't sound like an old school grado, doesn't sound like a Senn" think of it more as a "takes the best of both worlds" with some folks just realizing they're more of a old school grado purist or a senn purist, which doesn't cut too much into overall sales.

That's what I thought/hoped them to be, just pointing out the folks' perception. If I didn't need a closed set of cans I'm pretty sure I'd be owning them right now.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 120
I LOVE these phones and have never wavered. I feel the more people that say it sucks, the more I'll like it. Just look at the RS-1. It was hated so badly but it still comes up in the forums daily, and is still preferred by some as their favorite headphone even at it's high price.

What, give that up for a used $1K PS-1 that offers packed in small soundstage, bass that needs certain amps to tame, heavy to wear, etc. - and those are the comments from people that liked them
confused.gif

I'm kidding. BUT I really wouldn't want to trade everything the GS-1000 does for that. I would simply only own both or just the GS-1000. Midrange is very important but it isn't the only factor. And from what it sounds like the GS-1000 comes very close in sound quality there. One day I'd like to hear the PS-1's and maybe I'll have $1K laying around (ya right).

Sibilance has never been an issue for me, and I don't feel the GS-1000 adds it but simply plays what is recorded. My Von Schweikert VR4jr's (about as neutral, smooth and accurate as it gets) exposes the same amount of sibilance on those nasty recordings. So, I think the GS-1000 is getting a bad wrap on that. Just my opinion.

I would ideally like all 3 (GS-1, RS-1, and PS-1) assuming my taste is the same as what's been said about the PS-1. I can't seem to part with my RS-1 though either. But I have to figure something out cuz I just don't have time to listen to them all.

Man I just puke and puke. Can't I just summarize
tongue.gif
wink.gif

BTW, Iamdone and others - I can't wait to hear your impressions on the PS-1 - you may make me a liar
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #45 of 120
Thanks for the welcome Comfy. Like you said, you are a little late for the "sorry about your wallet" statement. I actually just got into headphones heavily the past year or so (as my 2-channel speaker system has been my main interest). So believe me, my wallet has already felt audio's wrath many times.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back