GS-1000 Lovers: who's left!
Aug 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 120
lawd, lawd, I just LOVE my GS1000's!!!

more all the time, in fact.

I can't imagine that more people returned or sold them then kept them.

that's not to say you shouldn't question your sanity though
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 120
I was beginning to wonder the same thing myself. It's a dream of mine to own a pair of GS-1000's someday and yet it seems like those that seemed to be all about them, have recently decided to part ways with their beloved Grados. What gives?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 120
Yeah, I don't know What happened there. I posted mine up for trade this morning, then two more FS/FT threads appeared for GS-1000s soon after. Just a coincidence, I suppose.

I digress.

I am still in love with the GS-1000s, but in my case I need to hear a pair of PS-1s. I will not rest until I do. It is an 'itch' I must scratch.

Once I hear the PS-1s, I will make a decision to either keep them, or resell/trade them and go back to the GS-1000s. So although I am trying to trade my GS-1000s that I currently own, it may end up comming full circle, and I will own another pair again.

Being both obsessive and fickle can sometimes be a curse.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 120
I just don't get it...to me...the single ended stock gs-1000 blew the balanced hd-650 clear out of the water...it was no comparison. How can there be so few people who love them as much as I do. Or, is there anyone who loves them as much as I do?

Even the beloved hp-1000 was bested by the gs-1000(to me). I absolutely loved the hp-1000, but whether comparing for 2 hours at a time, or just ab'ing with the dual inputs on the gs-1, the gs-1000 was still my favorite.

Last night, for like, a good 20 minutes I thought about selling my gs-1000 and just getting a gs-x/hd600 balanced.

I need to stay away from this site.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
I just don't get it...to me...the single ended stock gs-1000 blew the balanced hd-650 clear out of the water...it was no comparison. How can there be so few people who love them as much as I do. Or, is there anyone who loves them as much as I do?

Again, I love the GS-1000s. But I need to know for a fact that I love them more than the PS-1s. I will not be completely content until I take a pair of PS-1s for an extended spin and determine if I like the PS-1s more (or less) than the GS-1000s.

As such, I am on a mission to give the PS-1s a shot. It is just part of my personality - as already mentioned, it can be a curse sometimes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Again, I love the GS-1000s. But I need to know for a fact that I love them more than the PS-1s. I will not be completely content until I take a pair of PS-1s for an extended spin and determine if I like the PS-1s more (or less) than the GS-1000s.

As such, I am on a mission to give the PS-1s a shot. It is just part of my personality - as already mentioned, it can be a curse sometimes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS-1 is an acquired taste for some but if you like the GS1 you'd probably like the PS-1. I've not heard the GS1 yet and have been contemplating picking up a pair but I'm working on my portable rig right now so it's on hold. PS-1 and amp synergy is pretty important... something to keep in mind.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 120
I've never heard the ps-1, but after spending the amount of time that I did with the hp-1000 and the rs-1, and after hearing various impressions of the ps-1 vs the rs-1 and such, I didn't think that the ps-1 would be the one for me. Not terribly curious to scratch that itch. As a Grado lover, I probably owe it to myself to listen to them, but I guess i can wait until san jose next year.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
I've never heard the ps-1, but after spending the amount of time that I did with the hp-1000 and the rs-1, and after hearing various impressions of the ps-1 vs the rs-1 and such, I didn't think that the ps-1 would be the one for me. Not terribly curious to scratch that itch. As a Grado lover, I probably owe it to myself to listen to them, but I guess i can wait until san jose next year.

So what about the RS-1 vs the GS-1000, what are the differences there?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 120
I dont own the GS1000 but I did get to spend some time with them this weekend. Out of even really good tube amps like the EC Zana or Singlepowers I thought the sound was flawed. There was to much sibiance and a splashy strident character to the treble. The only setup I liked with the GS1000 was tkam's Opus 21 connected to .... a special SLAM PPX3 with a plitron transformer, 6BX7GT output tubes run at 375 volts and an excellent Mullard ECC32 gain tube. Even with this best setup I still dont think I could live with the GS1000. The bass had better control and the upper register harshness was reduced but the sound was still to etched at the top and overly warm through the upper bass/ lower midrange. I dont think this headphone will ever be for me. I like the PS-1 much better.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
lawd, lawd, I just LOVE my GS1000's!!!

more all the time, in fact.

I can't imagine that more people returned or sold them then kept them.

that's not to say you shouldn't question your sanity though
wink.gif

Dude,

let me squash this bugger for you prompt/frank style..
the BDGS1 kills every headphone out there right now..
I just passed on the PS-1's and K1K's for less than a grand a piece, just this week.

No, the GS1000 gets better and better, and I find myself reaching for other cans less and less, they are a giant killer indeed.

Bet you good money, that if John were to disco the GS1000 right now, that they would be priceless in a years time
wink.gif
..and as everyone already knows,when the PS-1 was for sale, they could not sell enough to maintain production?

Yeah, no I think the Black Dragon GS-1000s are the cans to beat, and any of the ones that come close (for me / my opinion), meh..no thanks.

They friggin rock out, those that are selling them, cool beans -get some cans you like!!

I must say that in 95' I bought the RS1 right away, and too was "initially" unsatisfied...and sold them. Because at the time I had my HP-2's...anywho, what a dummy I am now, because they were more chocolately brown than a WW candy bar!!
frown.gif

Boy I wish I had not sold those RS-1's off then, and wanted to with that pair (so I did). Well fast forward to now, I am extremely stoked and impressed/sunned day over day, and DO NOT want to sell my BD GS1000s, and in the process had the chance to replace them with the K1K and the PS-1's..today and just last week, and opted not to.
For the record, check Merc's post for K1K, I was first to it, and realized...sheesh, I don't want to hear these long term?? This is why I sold them the first time..and after trying many great amps, with syngergies known.

There is a reason these are the new flagship Grado Headphone, and just like anything, it is not for all.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
In my personal experience,

GS-1000 compared to the RS-1s are:

Much more Bass, Much bigger soundstage, much more comfortable (with stock bagel pads), mids pushed slightly back.

Ditto, also the rs-1's highs were just a bit too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back