GS-1000 Lovers: who's left!
Aug 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Dude,

let me squash this bugger for you prompt/frank style..
the BDGS1 kills every headphone out there right now..
I just passed on the PS-1's and K1K's for less than a grand a piece, just this week.

No, the GS1000 gets better and better, and I find myself reaching for other cans less and less, they are a giant killer indeed.

Bet you good money, that if John were to disco the GS1000 right now, that they would be priceless in a years time
wink.gif
..and as everyone already knows,when the PS-1 was for sale, they could not sell enough to maintain production?

Yeah, no I think the Black Dragon GS-1000s are the cans to beat, and any of the ones that come close (for me / my opinion), meh..no thanks.

They friggin rock out, those that are selling them, cool beans -get some cans you like!!

I must say that in 95' I bought the RS1 right away, and too was "initially" unsatisfied...and sold them. Because at the time I had my HP-2's...anywho, what a dummy I am now, because they were more chocolately brown than a WW candy bar!!
frown.gif

Boy I wish I had not sold those RS-1's off then, and wanted to with that pair (so I did). Well fast forward to now, I am extremely stoked and impressed/sunned day over day, and DO NOT want to sell my BD GS1000s, and in the process had the chance to replace them with the K1K and the PS-1's..today and just last week, and opted not to.
For the record, check Merc's post for K1K, I was first to it, and realized...sheesh, I don't want to hear these long term?? This is why I sold them the first time..and after trying many great amps, with syngergies known.

There is a reason these are the new flagship Grado Headphone, and just like anything, it is not for all.

Yea...I really can't wait for Rob to get his gs-1000's recabled so I can give them a try, I really want to see what they can do!

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Even the beloved hp-1000 was bested by the gs-1000(to me). I absolutely loved the hp-1000, but whether comparing for 2 hours at a time, or just ab'ing with the dual inputs on the gs-1, the gs-1000 was still my favorite.

to my recollection, (because I owned the HP1/2 too) I prefer the BDGS1??
Hence lately I have been trying to trade for to AB, or audition/buy a pair to do some comps on the two.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 120
Quote:

Dude,

let me squash this bugger for you prompt/frank style..
the BDGS1 kills every headphone out there right now..

yer still killing me vis a vis the bd mod cause i don't know when i'll have the bucks and you make it sound soo good!

meanwhile, i'll struggle by w/stock gs1k, k1000 (hardwire being installed this week by Vinnie at red wine audio) and e500's. (and my speakers. i like my speakers a lot). obviously I ain't got it too bad, but i want the bd on my gs, g-d!
mad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
yer still killing me vis a vis the bd mod cause i don't know when i'll have the bucks and you make it sound soo good!

meanwhile, i'll struggle by w/stock gs1k, k1000 (hardwire being installed this week by Vinnie at red wine audio) and e500's. (and my speakers. i like my speakers a lot). obviously I ain't got it too bad, but i want the bd on my gs, g-d!
mad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

wow, what a spoiled brat that guy is.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Again, I love the GS-1000s. But I need to know for a fact that I love them more than the PS-1s. I will not be completely content until I take a pair of PS-1s for an extended spin and determine if I like the PS-1s more (or less) than the GS-1000s.

As such, I am on a mission to give the PS-1s a shot. It is just part of my personality - as already mentioned, it can be a curse sometimes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Question: To those that auditioned the GS-1000's from new, and now opting to sell... Have you heard the old HP1/2 with wide cable, or the K1K with EQ cable? What were your impressions please?

I was positive that my old K1K's sounded much improved with EQ cable VS stock, and I can say the same for the ultra wide JGrado cable on the old HP-1/2's too VS the regulare cable?? I also recall the best sound out of an RS1 to have came from a newer pair, with a "hugie" cable attached to it?? So am not sure, what with all the Senn hens around and their stock VS replacement cable issues, why more folks are not taking this into account with these monsters...these cans make me laugh they are so good, more balanced are the Black Dragon GS1000s, than any of the other John G cans, to anyone that is keeping track or cares to know
eek.gif

edit length, spelling

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 120
I love them; period. I don't think there's much controversy with them. The only real issue is price--they're not cheap. They are so comfortable that I hardly notice them.

I can see why people with multiple headphones might sell them just so they could free up some funds, but I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't love the sound unless there was a mismatch with the source/amp configuration.

I think that's probably going to be my next move--upgrading source. Right now, I drive them with the Headroom MicroStack (w/ Desktop Module). There is no synergy problem--they sound great together== but I can't help but think that there's a lot more that these headphones could offer with a better desktop source. That's going to take some serious money, so I'll probably kick back and learn awhile before I make another move.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 120
Quote:

seems strange..all those that auditioned the GS-1000's from new, and now opting to hear VS the PS-1...but the headfi way is to change up your rig, switch up the IC's, and perhaps modify your source or amp?? But everyone is just selling theirs for a hit, not considering the Black Dragon GS-1000s as a viable option.. and this for a phone STILL available new, and STILL new overall to the market, headfi, and Grado??

Doesn't anyone among you fine headphone experts have a curiousity as to why John Grado JUST agreed to re-wires for the cans out of factory and OEM warranty? Hmmm, from my understanding this compromise and agreement of terms did not happen overnight, and these are the first phones to have this after market option avail to them for Grado?!!

Are there no interested people as to these phones' potential? Pretty sure of the margin on how much better my old K1K's sounded with EQ cable VS stock, and I can say the same for he ultra wide JGrado cable on the old HP-1/2's too VS the regulare cable?? I also recall the best sound out of an RS1 to have came from a newer pair, with a "hugie" cable attached to it?? So am not sure, what with all the Senn hens around and their stock VS replacement cable issues, why more folks are not taking this into account with these monsters...they make me laugh they are so good, more balanced the Black Dragon GS1000s, than any of the other John G cans, to anyone that is keeping track or cares to know
eek.gif

Do you want to send yours to me for a week for comparison?
gs1000.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Do you want to send yours to me for a week for comparison?
gs1000.gif

Feel free to come to Phoenix anytime!!
I may be willing meet you half way, pending your loc in the States...as I am ANAL about posting my cans (A-friggin'-NAL), and typically triple/quadruple box my shipments...if they must be shipped.. But I try to minimize damage to the headphones by not shipping unless for service or a sale
wink.gif

But you are welcome to come down to Phoenix for an audtion, take as long as like, or at least till I get home from work...then it is my turn
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #24 of 120
Please,

I just re-read my posts..in particular, the last one that Yllaflla replied to, and hope my words are not harsh or too strong..these cans are delightful and if anyone has a question on them, or compared to the stock GS1000 or the PS1 or the HP1/2, or the K1K, just shoot me a PM...

I do not sell them or make a profit, just stoked on their performance..to pieces
tongue.gif

Thanks all for reading..
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 120
nothin wrong with any of your posts. I love these cans also, and appreciate hearing about the difference with the bd. keep on postin'!

Quote:

Please,

I just re-read my posts..in particular, the last one that Yllaflla replied to, and hope my words are not harsh or too strong..these cans are delightful and if anyone has a question on them, or compared to the stock GS1000 or the PS1 or the HP1/2, or the K1K, just shoot me a PM...

I do not sell them or make a profit, just stoked on their performance..to pieces
tongue.gif

Thanks all for reading..
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 120
Quote:

I just don't get it...to me...the single ended stock gs-1000 blew the balanced hd-650 clear out of the water...it was no comparison.

Color me curious, but what source/amp? I am blown away by what a balanced 650 sounds like from a Headamp GS-X, & Apogee Mini source (all silver wiring/cables). I like it better than my K1K in this set up easily. I came close to ordering a GS1k, but held out. I am worried about strident highs, & a pushed back midrange. Went for the AKG K1K instead.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 120
Todd:

I was at meet with the OP, and the balanced HD650 setup consists of a Benchmark DAC1 going to a SFT Dynamight, balanced all the way through.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 120
I had the same itch for the PS-1. Even though I've been enjoying my GS1000, I've been missing my RS-1 a little bit. I was able to get a pair of PS-1, which most say are better than the RS-1.

I figure it's much harder to come by a pair of PS-1s and if it doesn't work out for me, I could easily resell them. Also the fact the GS1000 are not limited, I can also easily get another pair in the future. Or the RS-1 for that matter.

I think I've been playing with my setup so much that I'm just curious about the other Grado options. I had to hear if I'd enjoy the PS-1 more. I'm also curious about the HP-1000 but have a feeling a very neutral headphone may not be what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll try one at a meet.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 120
Hello and nice to finally be speaking with you all. Ive been a lurker for quite some time now and decided that I should finally register so I throw a few posts out (especially since I wanted to post on a headphone that seems to have a lot of debate surrounding it). Ive had my GS-1000's for about a week now and I definately love them.
Just a quick bit of background, Im definately a Grado guy, but I haven't heard a wide range of headphones. The first high-end phones I owned were ER4P's, then I stepped onto the Grado ladder and moved up it very quickly. After listening to my SR325's for a week, I knew I had to hear what the best sounded like, so shortly after I bought the RS-1's, had them for about 4 months or so and then moved to the GS-1000's last week.
Like I said, I LOVE the GS-1000's, but... I didnt sell my RS-1's to fund the purchase, and this is the only reason that I don't absolutely adore the GS-1000's. Ultimately, I'm going to get rid of one pair because I can't justify having $1700 of fairly similar headphones. Doing A/Bing between the two has been driving me nuts. One night Ill have my RS-1's boxed up, ready to be sold and then the next night, it's the story with the GS1k.
The only problem that Im having that's keeping me from being 100% for the GS1k's is the midrange problem that some have commented on. I feel that it's certainly there, but not enough of it (or at least not as forward as I would like as with my RS-1's). Like many have said the soundstage is unbelievable and the '3D effect' is scary with these headphones, which are both obvious improvements over the RS-1's.
As with Grados, emotion is very important and I feel that the GS-1000's are more 'emotional' than the RS-1's, and this is probably my biggest reason for wanting to hang onto the GS1k's.
Finally (and probably most importantly), the price. Im definately aware of the law of diminishing returns as it applies to audio and my biggest problem (probably a few other GS1k owner's as well) lies here. I've been going back and forth with my RS-1's trying to determine if the GS1k's are $500 better (seeing how the RS-1's are worth ~$500 used) and Im still not sure.
I do prefer the GS1k for most everything that Ive listened to (and on most every source that Ive listened to them on), but each time I put my RS-1's back on, Im left with a shred of doubt. But then after that Ill put my GS1k's back on and be blown away by a certain track.
It's actually been a fairly stressful week trying to decide who stays and who goes.
At any rate, I just thought Id throw my thoughts out there. Ill probably be commenting here and there now and then and Ill certainly still be reading frequently.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #30 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Todd:

I was at meet with the OP, and the balanced HD650 setup consists of a Benchmark DAC1 going to a SFT Dynamight, balanced all the way through.

Thanks humanflyz. Did you audition both? Agree with yellafella321?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back