GS-1000 Lovers: who's left!
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #106 of 120
After reading the following posts, it could be that my gear is not up to snuff. I think it was cheaper for me to get the PS-1 than to keep upgrading and find out I may still not be fully satified with the GS1000.

At the most, I'd only think of looking at a higher end dac down the road but I'm pretty satisfied with what I got. I just can't give up the convenience of lying in bed and being able to chose any song out of my 15,000+ collection using FrontRow on my iMac and have it sent wirelessly to my headphone setup across the room. Plus, I'm truely satisfied with the sound.

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #107 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
After reading the following posts, it could be that my gear is not up to snuff. I think it was cheaper for me to get the PS-1 than to keep upgrading and find out I may still not be fully satified with the GS1000.

At the most, I'd only think of looking at a higher end dac down the road but I'm pretty satisfied with what I got. I just can't give up the convenience of lying in bed and being able to chose any song out of my 15,000+ collection using FrontRow on my iMac and have it sent wirelessly to my headphone setup across the room. Plus, I'm truely satisfied with the sound.

Absolutely! not only that but it's an endless abyss. So, given that your satisfied, just enjoy your music as is
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus for you to change your source at this point would be a pretty big pain. And in the end you may still prefer the PS-1. I just wanted to point out that this might be an issue for other people looking into the GS-1000. Where the RS-1 (I can't say about PS-1) works with a lot of different gear.

I think people associate Grado with "sounds good out of an ipod" and I think with the Grado Statement series may change all that.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #108 of 120
Quote:

Totally cool, to each his own. Great to see you enjoying the music..hey that is what matters.

You should really consider dedicating a full time rig in another room, with a nice transport.. Those cans really deserve a better source..and will perform, unlike many cans with proper source/amplification, much much better than they are now..

I A/B'd the PS-1s when I had with all kinds of outlets, outputs, and amps...
Even tried them with a notebook as a source, a couple of them.

I enjoyed the music, but was missing the depth in sound and dynamic range that those phones' are capable of producing..I think without a proper source that this is more similar to the pleasure one enjoys when driving his/her Ferrari home at 34 mph..as the drive is uber smooth, and very nice (no debating this) but as other motor enthusiasts pass or wonder, why the real nice car if you don't plan to make it perform to spec?

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #109 of 120
Sorry, I deleted whatever I said because the post above changed. I probably should have kept some if it. The best line is quoted below.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #110 of 120
Quote:

I was this way with the RS-1 but now after listening to the PS-1, I don't think I can go back.

too true, and headfi jedi kind of manner..we all can relate young skywalker..your PS-1's are a gift!!
([size=xx-small]with the blast sheild down I CAN"T SEE ANYTHING, ha How'am I supposed to fight[/size]?!)
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #113 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
After reading this thread I'm curious to know if anyone owns some Black Dragon PS-1's?

now that i have 2 pair and one pair has a twisty cord i may consider recabling it

Aug 16, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #114 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
now that i have 2 pair and one pair has a twisty cord i may consider recabling it

hehe...paul,i thought the second pair was for your friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

seriously,i miss them already.selling my ps-1 might be the biggest mistake i have ever make
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #115 of 120
Zanth, I've been curious about the GS-1Ks, having missed them during the nat'l meet but I did get to hear the PS-1s with the Raptor and really enjoyed that rig.

You're comparison between the Grados should be a sticky, man, it's among the best reviews of audio gears I've read.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #116 of 120
I just posted of mini review of the Grado RS-1 vs PS-1 vs GS1000.

Here's the LINK.

May 4, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #118 of 120
I listened to a baseball game on tv with my gs1000's. It really was like being there. You could hear the crowd and even the beer vendors. Impressive.

Had a channel die on mine twice. Last time, grado replaced both drivers. Improved the sound. Mine are "i's" and they can get shouty at high volumes.

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #119 of 120
I have an old set of GS1000, running on a Luxman LV-107u and it's amazing.
A friend of mine heard them and bought his own pair.....Now he's trying to sell them again because he likes Hifiman HE-1000 more. I disagree, I like the sound of GS1000 much more than HE1000. Compared to Beyer T1 and Senn HD800 the GS1000 is still in a league of it's own. I really do love the sound an comfort of these.
Have to agree though, that the cable feels rather clumsy, to heavy for a phone like this.
Even though I have bought used stuff, I don't find them pricy. It's about the same price as T1 and HD800 and GS1000 is definately, imo, better than both.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #120 of 120
I always wanted to try the GS1000. I absolutely love my RS1. It's one pair of headphones that I can't image ever selling except for a Grade upgrade. But never for any other reason. Even then...not sure I could. To this day I still regret selling my goldies even if I wouldn't use them often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back