GRRRRRR!! My Etymotic ER-4S reveals how badly my portable sources SUCK!!
Jun 22, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The sound from that model is either bright and screetchy (silver model), or dark and boomy (blue model).

I have the blue one and its a piece of ****.

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 47
After you get a decent amp you will also begin to hear how badly many (even mainstream) CD's are recorded. You will begin to differentiate and appreciate better production qualities amongst the CD's in your collection.

It kinda sucks in a way...
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 47
Eagle_Driver

If you can find a way[and you said added bulk did not bother] build up a rig based on a pcdp that has an optical data out so
you can use an outboard dac .
This type of combo has given me mobile hifi heaven.

Though it is probably easier said than done!
Aos has done a portable dac project[see it at headwize] pherhaps
he can advise,or try a product like one of the Midiman dacs,
I use a modded Midiman flying calf [they dont make these anymore..GRR].

This approach will require a bit of[or lot of] DIY for mods etc but I
am sure someone on the boards could help out should this route
become a temptation
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck and happy listening!

Setmenu

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 47
Ahhh, I think I know why the phones out of my SL-CT470 sounds like ****... I think I didn't get the proper seal; part of the third collar sticks out (I could feel it with my fingers). No wonder why I got screetchy sound. But with a better seal my CT470 Silver sounds okay, though a bit bright. But even so, I think the CT470 is a piece of crap, due to that crappy lid and hinge design - no matter what I tried, the CT470 wants to stop playback at random times (neither of my two recent Sony PCDPs have given me that problem so far).

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 47
...Only three days until I get a pair of ER4Ps... I guess that'll be the real test for how good my E905 is
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 47
Oh, I didn't want to deal with the expense and crappiness of those little 9V batteries, and I got the feeling that the Supreme isn't worth $250 more than the Total Airhead, so I decided on a TAH 4.5V. [Note that Headroom is phasing out the 9V Airhead and TAH models - once the 9V Airheads are gone, they're gone. Instead, Headroom will offer 4.5V Airhead and TAH amps in black (currently available) and gray (due to ship next week).]

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 47
Ken, the 9V Airhead models do deliver more bass - but as Tyll said, the little 9V batteries have too little "capacitance" (he meant current capacity), so that bass becomes a bit muddy. And the only 9V batteries that have anywhere near enough capacity for quality portable use (if such a beast exists) tend to be too big and too heavy for easy portability.

jlo mein, Superbaldguy: I bought the 4S instead of the 4P because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of an adapter, and I had anticipated on buying an amp anyway (shortly after I received the 4S). So I ordered a 4.5V TAH from Headroom, which should be a BIG improvement over the gutless headphone jacks on my portable players, especially after break-in. I can't wait to hear it! C'mon, Wednesday afternoon, hurry up!

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 47
Duncan,
The D-E905 should be able drive your ETy just fine. I got the ety, and they sound great toghether.

Purk

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Duncan,
The D-E905 should be able drive your ETy just fine. I got the ety, and they sound great toghether.

Purk

I couldn't agree with you more Purk... Brilliant / Wow! / <insert highly complimentary word here>
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
noooo duncan! u changed ur avatar to etys...so many ppl have etys as their avatar...so hard to tell them apart from first glance...

lol!!

Okay then jlo, for now the PCDPs are back
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 47
Today I picked up my TAH from the FedEx office (stupid driver couldn't find the address that I had put on the order). It is the 4.5V version - just as I had expected. And there's that gold label with the Total Airhead name on it. Currently enjoying my Etymotic ER-4S from the TAH connected to the line-out of my Sony D-EJ1000 PCDP. MUHAHAHAHAHA! Where my ER-4S used to sound a little thin directly from my portable players, the TAH really brought my 4S to life! Gyah. I wish I waited until I placed the order for the TAH and then order it with the ER-4S and the Airbag, instead of purchasing the ER-4S first then the amp!
eek.gif
But then I don't need another PCDP bag, anyway, so I think I did well the way I purchased my 4S and TAH.

My new main commuting rig will be this:

Sony D-EJ1000 --> TAH 4.5V --> Etymotic ER-4S (on the bus), plus one or more of the following: Grado SR-60 OR Grado SR-80 OR Koss KSC-35 OR Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Now, how's that for a kickass portable rig?

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #30 of 47
eagle driver has me drooling....i one day hope to achieve such a portable rig....

btw duncan: i always look forward to seeing your avatar and looking at that stunning d-ej1000....lol....do u have a full size pic of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back