GRRRRRR!! My Etymotic ER-4S reveals how badly my portable sources SUCK!!
Jun 29, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #46 of 47
I find there are a lot of interesting things going on in this thread.

not in any particular order...

Blue vs. Silver
versions of the pana. sl-ct470. Was told by Todd @headroom that the 470 was IT! - better than the '570 or anything else, as far as pcdp's.
I have now gotten hold of a blue and a silver ct-470, as well as a NIB ct570. Unfortunately, as I am a newbie to this lot of "inspired(?) madness", I do not yet have a proper HF amp. Was going to go with a TAH 9v, then a JMT CHA47, but have finally settled on a classA META42, (w/sincere apologies to JMT, I was still digesting the wealth of info that IS headfi). Then we'll have a shootout! Obscurity Rules! We'll do 470b vs. 470s, then 470 vs. 570 and to finish, pcdp vs. pdvdp's,(1 & 2).

What is interesting is that both of my 470's are listed, (by the tag on the bottom), as having been asmbl'd in April of 2000. The silver one has a later serial #, by about 500 digits. (Correction:7/2/02, mea culpa, make that 5200 digits, w/asm'y dates still the same).
On the pana. home site one can locate all sorts of information about the 470, incl. a complete list of every single part that went into it - down to the last tiny screw and resistor. There is no indication of there being 2 models, or any distinction made to anything other than case color. Boils down to...How can they, (blu/sil), sound any different???

As far as Eagle_Driver's original point, I feel that the thread of Robster1958, "just south of here", is cogent, if a bit expensive. It depends somewhat on how one defines "portable". For me it means running off batt's, w/wall-wart-ability very desirable, (for listening at home). I do not include antishock or super-lightness as necessary to being portable, but that's just me. I'm trying to find the best source, (=player), of pcd music I can. I'll do a reply to rob1958, but just wanted to bring up a point>>

In the field of home audio, using higher bits and increased sampling rates, (much higher than the cd redbook specs), has resulted in a near universal elevation of the playback level of even ordinary cd's, (which is all I currently have - hurry up psacdp!).
I figure the same principle should hold w/portable audio, so I got hold of a Sony dvp-f5 and a Panny dvd-pa65. These are both screen-less pdvdp's. Each uses 24bits, w/the sony having 96khz o'sampling potential and the Panny being able to go up to 192kHz. Their line-out is spec'd at 2.0v/rms & 1.5v/rms, respectively - too loud for ety 4S's, even. The hp-out can be loud, too loud for the ety's and even too loud for my Beyerdyn. dt990's, which I happen too think sound fine...
(Can anyone tell me if they know where dt990's rank in the hp universe?)
If anyone is curious, I will get hold of the hp-out power ratings on these pdvdp's. I feel they must have more output than any little ol' pcdp, but I'll 2xcheck. (sony claims 12+mW x 12+mW into 32ohm, pana. = ?). And of course, the pdvdp's both come with optical-out. The Li-ion batt. is a bit heavy, price & weight-wise, but through ebay or used/refurb one can get one of these 2 pdvdp's w/batt. for less than $400. Considering what ety's cost..., and you sure aren't getting $300 worth of materials. For the Canuck-er looking for cheaper ety's - have you heard about HEAR, www.hearnet.com ? ety 4s/4p @ $269.

Sorry this post is sooo looong. I'm the first to admit most of what I theorize is only speculation at this point - 'til I get my meta42. Thanks to you all for all I've learned from you so far; I hope to return the favor.

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #47 of 47
Don't be sorry Aushadi
smily_headphones1.gif

Your news on the CT470s is interesting, and could now lead to a theory of sample variation rather than actual differences in quality / production lines...

and, I for one would be interested in seeing your opinions of a PDVDP
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back