GRRRRRR!! My Etymotic ER-4S reveals how badly my portable sources SUCK!!
Jun 27, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
btw duncan: i always look forward to seeing your avatar and looking at that stunning d-ej1000....lol....do u have a full size pic of it?

Here we go...

dej1000.jpg

dej10002.jpg

Eagle_Driver, I'll try to draw equal with you...

I've just re-tried my CHA47 with my 4Ps and i've decided it doesn't sound muddier, it is just that the PCDP headphone out is slightly colder than the line out is... so just a small difference, the JMT sounding better for the likes of vocals (incredibly realistic) and the headphone out better for poorly recorded CDs and dance/trance/club music

So, my bid for supremecy...

[size=x-small]Sony D-E905 ->[color=sea green]JMT CHA47[/color]->ETY ER4P[/size]

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #33 of 47
Duncan, as pictured, that's the D-EJ1000 that's sold everywhere except the U.S. My U.S.-market version of the D-EJ1000 has over-the-head muff-type headphones (MDR-027 Light Style headphones - CRAP) rather than the MDR-E808SP Bud Style 'phones supplied with units marketed outside the U.S.

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #34 of 47
ok jlo here we are,

its quite a lot smaller than the original picture (due to me not having my own website ~ and compressing it to add it as an attachment) but - should still be kind of ok?!?!

attachment.php

(My digital camera may be pretty poor ~ but I must confess that I did a bad job on the editing didn't I - Sorry, lol my avatar is crisper than this... *ahem* Must book myself some paint shop pro lessons
rolleyes.gif
)

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 47
lol Eagle, you know you guys in the US love the over the head 'phones
wink.gif

Hey... can anyone work out the deliberate mistake between picture 1 and picture 2 of the EJ1000 (look where the headphones are plugged in) and explain it to me? - on my 'UK' version, where the headphone plug is on picture two is where the line out / power jacks are
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
oooooo....that is a very nice pic duncan, no matter the quality...thanx
smily_headphones1.gif

now if i can only decide between the sony d-ej725, and the d-ej1000....
confused.gif

What 'phones would you be using? - line or headphone out?

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 47
hopefully i'll be using the line out. I hope to be getting a JMT CHA47, but just a tiny snag has fallen on me (ie: dropping 20% in 2 of my courses, going from A's to C+'s)....my parents arent too happy about that....

I will be using my grado sr60's and sony ex70's. Someday i hope to get some ety er6's.

I would really like to get the d-ej1000, but its $150CAN less to get the 725. I mean, i could get two 725's for the price of one 1000.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 47
the only thing i'll say that i've noticed about 'lower end' Sonys, is that the lower you go in the range, you have less and less usable volume... on the 925, you could get 26/30 before distortion and the 825, 20/30
eek.gif

This also happened in earlier generations... it seems that Sony justifies the extra expense of the next model up by increasing the power of the op-amps for the headphone out

Its your call though... the fundamentally basic sound should be pretty similar on both units through the headphone out (barring the volume)... and they should also sound pretty similar through the line out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #41 of 47
not right now, no jlo... Its taken me so long to get a pair (over a year
eek.gif
eek.gif
) that I want to get my fair share of 'usage' from them (erm... as hard as that may be with ETYs stuck in my ears)

BUT... There is going to be a big headphone 'yard-sale' going on here in the not too distant future... the most likely candidates at the moment...

Sony MDR-F1
Sennheiser HD580
Grado SR-125
MF X-Can V2

But... that isn't now... i'll announce as and when I'm going to do this...

If it'd be of any consolation jlo ~ I figure you're after a pair... If I do decide to sell up, i'll give you first refusal... sound good?

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #42 of 47
Gyah. My TAH 4.5V amp is starting to break-in, and I'd say I'm quite impressed with that little amp, even at its full $199 price. Though I'm still using those Crap-O-Vac (Ray-O-Crap?) alkaline AAA batteries, I wonder how that tiny Total Airhead would sound like if I feed them those Energizer E2 "Titanium" batteries...
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Gyah. My TAH 4.5V amp is starting to break-in, and I'd say I'm quite impressed with that little amp, even at its full $199 price. Though I'm still using those Crap-O-Vac (Ray-O-Crap?) alkaline AAA batteries, I wonder how that tiny Total Airhead would sound like if I feed them those Energizer E2 "Titanium" batteries...
wink.gif

Different context, but same principle... my CHA47, got it at the begining of April, and bought a Sony Alkaline battery (green top, blue bottom) - used it for about 20 hours, bought some rechargables used them twice each for about 10 hours (before they died) - decided to re-use the Sony, and... well - i'm still using it, easily an extra 25-35 hours on top of the original 20
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'm glad you're liking your sound Eagle
biggrin.gif

jlo... I don't think you'll be disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:09 PM Post #45 of 47
And though my previous favorite closed/sealed headphones were the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's, listening to my 'highly accurate' Etys make the 280 Pro's sound a bit dark - the highs on the 280's are rolled off. And I can now detect the *slightly* recessed mids on my Sennheiser HD 590's, as well. (The 590's themselves were relatively bright and trebley compared to the HD 580's and HD 600's that I had heard at the Headroom World Of Headphones tour.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back