Grover Ultimate Reference
Mar 22, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #77 of 135
But I am still confused on designations.

I paid $130 for my "SR-II" RCAs. They are noticeably airer, brighter, and more detailed than my more expensive Rega Couple. My "SR-IIs" are labeled as "Grover UR" . However, it doesn't have the UR techflex. I ordered the cables after the URs have been introduced.

I am so satisfied with my "SR-IIs" that I ordered the XLR version of the SR-IIs for $210. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet as I am still waiting for my amp. What I received is a pair of XLR terminated cables with the same label "Grover UR" and with techflex.

I still don't have a clue if what I have are SR-IIs or URs, but who cares. I am extremely satisfied with the service, build quality, price, and sound (at least for the RCA; can't check the XLRs yet).

Highly recommended.

Mar 23, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #79 of 135
Here is a pic of my Grover "SR-II" XLRs (actually labeled as "Grover UR" so maybe it is!). Sorry for the bad picture quality.

IMG_0689.jpg

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #80 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Here is a pic of my Grover "SR-II" XLRs (actually labeled as "Grover UR" so maybe it is!). Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Thanks, PATB! Grover told me that UR XLRs are black-blue color, which looks like the colors of your cable, so they probably are URs.

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #81 of 135
Never heard of Grover until this thread, I find this cable interesting.

I would like to know the specifications of the innards of the cable and the RCA types used, that would create such a highly praised cable in this thread.
Obviously the people in this thread love the sound, material specifications would be a great help in allowing me to understand the cables ability to yield such fine results according to the posters here.

Since I am a DIYer myself, picked up this hobby to save money(found out later its not true), posts like these interest me. but even better if I know what exactly goes inside these cables. I build cables for kicks and its a form of art for me.

from what ive understood so far in this thread, is that its a silver type cable, while the prior was a hybrid silver copper cable (possibly silver plated copper?)
and it uses a secret braid technique? so I would assume something other then tri-braid or Litz? but to my understanding braiding only yeilds a shield by intertwining the ground with the signal wire. Eichmann uses a variation of these and switches the ratio up a bit and gives the signal conductor are larger guage as opposed to the ground in a braid. If there is a specific braid pattern that actually improves audio fidelity to a new level, I would find it very interesting, that would probably be good cause for patent I suppose, with all due respect no need to explain the braid technique, but materials and cables sepcifications would be nice to know to potential customers.

whether is is stranded or solid core or the wire AWG and dielectric, along with insulation material is still up in the air.

Im a firm believer in faith, but when it comes to cabling, specifications are always beneficial to the user.

this thread has peaked my interest.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #82 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Some Grover UR impressions.
Currently using Wolff Empress and Grover SR II cables in two systems and had no desire to change anything, never sounded better. I sold off my previous reference ICs AZ Silver References and AP Solo Crystals since they were now expensive wires collecting dust in my cable basket. Never had any 2nd thoughts, I was off the cable merry go round and happy......then Grover announced improved design called UR (ultimate reference) for almost same low price as SR II, I had to try them right????

Yes of course I did, and seems that Grover has taken the already excellent SR II and refined the design to give even greater performance. Only visual difference is black mesh cable jacket replaces the blue "smurf" jacket, ICs are very lightweight and flexible, perfect for use with sensitive bearing isolation devices (which I have).

In relative terms not a huge improvement (the bar is already extremely high) but more noticeable than the Grover SR I -> SR II upgrade for me. It just does everything the SR II did a little bit better. The treble is a bit smoother and more natural, the mid range sweeter more cohesive, the bass seems to be largest area of improvement with more power and impact while still being very fast and detailed. My very first impression upon hearing system without analyzing things was bass seems better and music is somehow more 3D, everything sounds relaxed natural and musical.

All these changes are noticeable I believe because noise floor has been slightly lowered allowing more detail to emerge from darker/cleaner field. This in turn expands soundstage perception making for expanded 3D presentation. Instruments are more layered and seem to sustain decay longer, notes have deeper more complex harmonics etc.

So no negatives to report, very happy with Grover's newest UR design and have ordered matching UR speaker cables. I will not be selling my Empress ICs since they will still have use for me, compared to Grover UR they are warmer richer sounding which may or may not be what is needed depending on your system. Somewhat like Cardas neutral ref (Grover UR) vs golden ref (empress) for me the UR is closer to neutral while empress adds a smooth warmth to sound. Keep in mind the empress cost much more than the UR.

All listening done with 2 channel stereo:
Musical Fidelity A3/Bel Canto Dac 2 -> Musical Fidelity A3.2CR preamp/amp -> Tyler Taylo Ref. Monitors/HSU VTF3 sub

Ok listened to fully broken in newest UR interconnects, latest model with white directional label on cables. I have heard rumors that the silver wire was changed/upgraded for current cables and they do sound slightly different although I no longer have original demo ones to compare to. The difference I notice is the lower mids and bass are slightly filled out with more body giving a touch of warmth and fullness vs demo UR which by comparison was leaner sounding. I like the newest UR version better overall in my systems.

No regrets selling all former reference ICs since with UR speaker cables and ICs now in place I am hearing details no other cable combination yet had been able to reveal in a huge believable 3D soundstage. Everything relaxed, natural and musical while at the same time more revealing of detail and 3D space vs any other cable I have owned. Plus the price is far lower for example than the $900+ AZ Silver Reference ICs I once owned.

That's it...........I'm not upgrading anymore!
k1000smile.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #83 of 135
I just returned from vacationing to find my package from grover has arrived! I've got a pair of his new speaker cable burning in now as well as some of his solid silver jumpers (which I won't be able to use for the time being). Its probably gonna be a couple of weeks before I write the review of the whole UR series interconnects, because my G08 arrived today and I'll have to get used to the changes to my system before making any comparissions.

So far I must say though, things are sounding good.

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #84 of 135
I've got a Great-Customer-Service-From-Grover story as well as some initial (and VERY positive) impressions of the Ultimate Reference IC. Grover adjusted the RCA connectors on a UR to custom fit them to an AudioQuest adapter onto which they would not otherwise fit. Despite my offering him compensation several times for his time and effort, he did the adjustment, and returned the UR with no word of any fee for his efforts. I don't advocate that artisans like Grover donate their services for free, but, when they do, it is note- and praise-worthy.

Now the UR. I've been using an IC that cost me about $70, and been very pleased with the sound overall. There were a few albums, though, that never quite seemed to sound right, and those that did required rather finicky volume adjustment (often on a per-song basis) to get the sound "just right" - and even then, some voices seemed too subdued while others seemed too forward. In other words, the sound was overall really good (on some albums, even amazing), but rarely "just right". On some difficult albums, I would sit and listen to them with my hand on the amp pot - dynamically adjusting the pot to keep the sound in the songs in my "sweet spot".

Enter the UR.

This is my first IC that cost me more than a hundred dollars, and I can hear exactly where the money went every time I listen to it. The first sonic improvements that jumped out at me while listening through it were the intensity/vividness of the sound while retaining its natural (live) quality. The textures in the sounds became palpable without ever sounding overdone or losing the realistic tonal/timbral qualities of live voice and instruments. As I listened more, I noticed how far out of my head the sound was, and how well each voice is placed within the soundstage - very coherent, very live sounding. Then I noticed how pleasing the balance of voices is - no more adjusting the pot within or between songs on the same album to keep the sound or the mix of voices in the "sweet spot". Back to the tonal/timbral qualities of musical sounds through the UR - blatty brass has a good bite to it, but no harshness, a whining electric guitar is both intense/piercing/cutting AND sweet/clear all at once, impactful sounds (like a solid rim shot on a drum) register as solid impact but with plenty of depth to avoid any resonance or oversaturation. And "simple", songful, sweet sounds (like a beautiful soprano voice or a masterfully bowed violin or a cleanly coaxed electric guitar solo) are richer in wonderfully complex temporal variations than I've ever been able to hear and appreciate/enjoy before - a real feast for the ears.

And all this from an IC that I've only been using for about 20 hours so far. I normally use an IC for about 100 hours before I think I'm approaching knowing how it sounds. But my listening with the Grover UR has just been so ear-opening and intensely delightful that I had to add my first post to this thread. More coherent and organized impressions to come when the UR has come into its fullness and I've had more time to listen critically to the sound. But so far, I'm saying "WOW!" to what I'm hearing with the Grover Ultimate Reference in my rig.

Apr 2, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #85 of 135
Grover still at work................UR improves again.

Grover returned cables I sent in for upgrade and informed me that UR interconnects had been improved yet again from previous versions without going into any detail. I received these newest UR on 3/31/05 and they look identical to photos I just posted (post #74). Have them running in system two now and will listen soon.

Seems impossible that they could be any better at this price level, but somehow Grover finds a way to squeeze ever greater performance from these exceptional cables, they are already better than $500-1000 cables I have owned previously. These are gifts from the audio gods fellow audiophiles.

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #90 of 135
I've had the Grover UR speaker cables in my big rig for a couple weeks now and just wanted to chime in my $0.02. I think Darkanglels assessment was pretty accurate regarding the additional resolution and improved bass performance. I also feel like the tone of the midrange has lost a tiny bit of warmth and is every so slightly more toward neutrality.

One thing I'm not sure about though is these cables being faster then the origional SR speaker wire. The SR was already blazing fast and resolved cymbals, snare drums, and the likes like none other. I no longer have my SRs to compare directly to, but this is one area that hasn't jumped out to me with the new wires. Which is NOT a bad thing, these cables are wonderful performers.

If you're looking for new speaker cables at ANY price range I strongly suggest looking seriously at the Grover URs. These low priced cables offer an upgrade over the giant killers (Grover SRs) that slayed my $1200 Acoutic Zen speaker cables!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back