Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Apr 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #77 of 153
Nice meeting between 2 great guitarists : Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan Born under a bad sign

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #79 of 153
We haven't gone to Brazil yet…how about Luiz Bonfá? Wish Perry Como had sung the other English lyrics to "Manha da Carnaval": "A Day In The Life Of A Fool"

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #80 of 153
There are lots of great guitar players, in all different styles, but among the current crop, my favorite is Guthrie Govan.  Absolute virtuoso, he plays nearly impossible passages effortlessly, and if jazz fusion isn't your thing, he can nail just about any other style as well.  His first solo album, Erotic Cakes, is chock full of jaw dropping moments.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #86 of 153
Thank the Lord someone mentioned Richard Thompson already: on his last tour he was doing six-minute guitar solos on "Can't Win", and to do that well entails more than virtuosity, you need the creativity as well. He's outrageously good on electric, and (of course) even better known for his acoustic work (e.g. "1952 Vincent Black Lightning").

Jerry Garcia, yes, how can a guitarist be underrated and overrated at one and the same moment? I'm not sure that he could have played the licks that Vai can play, but then, could Vai have invented Garcia's melodic lines? Questionable.

I'm surprised that no one (that I could see) mentioned John McLaughlin. Not my cup of tea, but surely one of the greatest guitarists ever?

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #87 of 153
for pure creativity and talent there can only be one!

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #89 of 153
then there is is this guy, most soulfull and original..

Paul Kossoff

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #90 of 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back