Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Mar 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #46 of 153

Quote:
Quote:

Man You got that Right, Especially for all around (he can play any type of guitar) superbly........Thanks for pointing him out...... We could add some more.... Albert Lee, Ry Cooder, Robert Cray.........Lets add The Late great Kenny Poole!! 

Yeah it seems are tastes are pretty similar 9pin. It's amazing how strong the guitarists that play or have played for ABB are or were; and n3rdling is right, what kind of guitar virtuoso list would we have going on here without Buddy Guy, blues guys rock. No mention of BB King yet either or JJ Cale. How about Keith Richards?

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #47 of 153
Quote:
The answer is Tosin Abasi

Whoa, very cool! I will check out more of his stuff :)

Quote:
Looks like it’s a lot about speed with most of the videos posted here. If that’s the case, why not go with the world record holder (he makes all others seem slow):

Speed is necessary at times, but it bores me quickly. I think Vai is the best of the creative shredders. I am a Buckethead fan too along with a whole bunch of other guitarists, but the King of all guitarists IMHO is Andre Segovia.  

Forgot about Andres. He definitely needs to be mentioned! And meh on all the speed players. Like you say, gets old.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #50 of 153
True on that point of speed, but did'nt Joe Satriani teach Steve Vai how to fly! We also have Jimmy Page, there's also Jeff Loomis and Angus Young! This thread could go on a really Looong time. But to rank who is the Best of all time that is going to be a tough one and not all of Us will be happy. I know there are a lot of great players out there that many of Us have not heard yet and that is the beauty of it all, that We can check them out for our selves. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #52 of 153
Yes, Joe Satriani did Teach Steve Vai how to play when they were both teenagers, but it has been at least 30 years since then and they are both completely different guitarists now due to their own individual experiences. Frank Zappa had a huge impact on Vai, because he started transcribing for him when he was only 19, and started playing for him shortly thereafter.

Please, have a listen to both and tell me, if you had no idea who they both were, that you could tell they were teacher and student. (btw, they are more like really good friends now)

Quote:
True on that point of speed, but did'nt Joe Satriani teach Steve Vai how to fly! We also have Jimmy Page, there's also Jeff Loomis and Angus Young! This thread could go on a really Looong time. But to rank who is the Best of all time that is going to be a tough one and not all of Us will be happy. I know there are a lot of great players out there that many of Us have not heard yet and that is the beauty of it all, that We can check them out for our selves. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #53 of 153
Steve Vai also went to Berkley school of music and used to dare anyone to give him sheet music that he could not play in fact Steve Vai has won Grammys he and Joe Satriani still have similar sound in some of their soloing but I agree that Steve Vai is much different

Quote:
Yes, Joe Satriani did Teach Steve Vai how to play when they were both teenagers, but it has been at least 30 years since then and they are both completely different guitarists now due to their own individual experiences. Frank Zappa had a huge impact on Vai, because he started transcribing for him when he was only 19, and started playing for him shortly thereafter.

Please, have a listen to both and tell me, if you had no idea who they both were, that you could tell they were teacher and student. (btw, they are more like really good friends now)

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #54 of 153
While I've heard of about 95% of the guitarist mentioned on this thread it's great to be turned on to the ones I haven't heard before. Great thread!

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #57 of 153
Malmsteen (I know I know but he got me into guitar playing so he has to be up there)

Paul Gilbert 

And as Prog Rock Man posted earlier, have been getting animals as leaders big time, saw them in concert recently 
biggrin.gif

Vinnie Moore

Andy Mckee

Honestly there are tons, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Tony MacAlpine etc...

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #58 of 153
There are an amazing number of amazing guitarists out there.  Since he hasn't been mentioned, I'll add Richard Thompson.  He can shred with the best of them, really imaginative solos.  But it's also that his playing is for the sake of the song - he knows when and what to play and as importantly, when and what not to play.  That's something I appreciated about Robin Trower back when he was with Procol Harum too.
- Ed

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #59 of 153
Jimmy Page
Marty Friedman

and ... Andy Mckee

*edit* forgot the video

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #60 of 153

Quote:

Oh No, I'm not saying one is better than the other, no way, no how. I've heard all 3 You mentioned play. I believe they are both phenom's and great friend's and that can be said for most of the player's mentioned and that list is going to keep on growing. Many are Virtuosa's and many are self taught, some time's it come's real easy for some and other's have to ply harder at thier trade.  
atsmile.gif
 Man how time fly's by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back