Greatest Guitarist: Virtuosity & Creativity
Jul 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #106 of 153

Quote:

These two... I'll let the video do the talking... 

I got to see them from the front row at Wolf Trap.  Unbelievable.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #108 of 153
I read the thread title and the first thing that came to my mind was 'Fripp.' that guy is a genius.
Don't know whether he is technically the best players, but he is one of the best song writers.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #109 of 153
Rory Gallagher never sold out and the best of Rory was in concert, his albums were fine but when he walked on stage you had an experience to remember. Sadly with us no more but the memories linger on.

Mike Bloomfield.
Alvin Lee.
Robert Fripp.
Ry Cooder

Pity Clapton became a pastiche of himself.

Not too well up on the modern guys but based on this thread I intend to check out the much praised 'Buckethead' (lets hope they play the blues)

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #110 of 153
Yeah man, saw Rory at the Apollo in Manchester in 82, boy could he make that stratocaster sing, a true virtuoso.
I have been lucky enough to see a lot of the all time greats play live, listed below in no particular order other than to say, Santana is the most technically gifted and I would say he is my number one based on live performance.

Mick Ronson
Prince
Gary Moore
Eddie Van Halen
The Edge
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Brian May
Pete Towsend
Joe Bonnasarra.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #111 of 153
I can't believe no one mentioned Andy Timmons. Probably one of the most underrated guitar player. His new album Resolution is amazing, 100% analog, no digital effect.

Another video:

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #116 of 153
Rodrigo y Gabriela for me.  It's amazing what they can do with acoustic guitars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back