Greatest ability to sound life-like with the proper equipment, 701 or 650?
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #18 of 88
I don't want to get dragged in to this but, to be fair, olblueyez not having heard the AKG to their potential is not really relevant (post from Cankin). Opinions on which is better rely on both HP having been heard at their potential but not posing the question.

Having now expressed an opinion (post 15), that's different.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 88
Would you consider Audio-gd Compass (Moon/Earth, version 2) as a "proper equipment" to drive the K701? If so, I'll lug my laptop to my friend's house again and I'll have a serious listening/meet session with him.

Plus, I'd like to hear my PK1 driven by the Compass again.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #20 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to get dragged in to this but, to be fair, olblueyez not having heard the AKG to their potential is not really relevant (post from Cankin). Opinions on which is better rely on both HP having been heard at their potential but not posing the question.

Having now expressed an opinion, that's different.

I hadnt heard either at a great level of potential when I got the raptor, that took experiementing with cables and months of tube rolling. I had both the 701 and 650 and I decided the warm signature of the 650 was something I wanted to pursue/refine/build on.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you consider Audio-gd Compass (Moon/Earth, version 2) as a "proper equipment" to drive the K701? If so, I'll lug my laptop to my friend's house again and I'll have a serious listening/meet session with him.

Plus, I'd like to hear my PK1 driven by the Compass again.
biggrin.gif

Your PK-1's will probably sound fantastic with your compass.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not tell us about your experiences with both headphones and what you think about the question posed by the thread topic? Otherwise get lost. Seriously dude, if you want to make assumptions to support trolling then take a hike.

Both headphones have their strengths over another, but let me tell you what are the strengths of K701 over HD650 from my experience.

The shape of the soundstage/headstage:
The overall presentation of the stage is better on K701 because it's more continuous, whereas on HD650, the three bulbs effect is so obvious, sound is coming from left, centre and right only as commented by others as well.

Bass:
yeah, I like bass on K701 more on HD650. Bass on K701 is tighter and fast, the better attack and decay. It reaches deeper.

Strengths of HD650 over K701
It has better tone mainly because of its mid bass, it has more texture, and while bass does not go as deep as K701.

Soundstage is smaller on HD650, but it seems to have more layers in front of me.

Finally, here are my experience, both are fine headphones and they are more different than similar, one can easily pick a headphone based on his preference.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your PK-1's will probably sound fantastic with your compass.

How I wish the Compass belongs to me. Both the K701 and Compass belongs to my friend.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both headphones have their strengths over another

Strengths of HD650 over K701
It has better tone mainly because of its mid bass, it has more texture, and while bass does not go as deep as K701.

Soundstage is smaller on HD650, but it seems to have more layers in front of me.

i concur.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #26 of 88
k701, obviously!

SB3 –> v/d Hul digicoupler –> Benchmark DAC1 (Sound Evolution lv. 4 mod) –> Wireworld SilverEclipse5.2/AcousticZen SilverReferenceII –>Lehmann BCL Balanced / GS Solo SRG / custom van Waaarde E188cc / custom siemens C3g

With all amps and all configurations, the k701 walked over the HD650. Thats the way it is blue eyes...

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #27 of 88
don't both sound just as lifelike with the 'proper' equipment, but just in a different way? why can't these two co-exist?

... all this k701 bashing lately makes me want to go out and buy them
smile.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 88
The first thing is the crappy cable in the HD650's. The competition should start with the Zu Mobius (MkII?) on board. Then, there are people who still prefer the K701's being acquainted with them when driven from the Woo Audio 2 with some upgrades, the Leben CS300 or the CS600. Let's leave toys aside. However, the Leben CS300 might sound terrible as well, i.e. with the GS1000 which I rate above both competitors from this thread.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the HD600 is more "real" sounding than the HD650. I still have yet to hear the K701 but I have a K501 on the way.

I would very much like to hear both the HD600 and the K501, simply on the basis of the descriptions that I have read here and elsewhere of both headphones. I expect that they are almost polar opposites, particularly in terms of bass response, so it will be interesting to hear your feedback.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #30 of 88
This thread is Gold.....the OP is really one sad mother. Not one but two threads comparing the 650s and 701s.

Oh I forgot...my opinion is worthless bec I use a portable with my 701s.
biggrin.gif

This from someone who hasn't put the 701s through it's paces yet and uses a computer as his source. Pffft!! High End indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back