Great Movie Watching Headphones and Replacement Headphones for the Beyerdynamic COP
May 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 29
So the hfi 780 is not good for long term listening, the hp100 are very good but the dt 770 is very good and comfortable for movies but does not fold.  Tough descisions.  I think I may have to go with the soundmagic hp 100 or hfi 780 but possibly the DT 770.  The audio technica m50 is not good for watching movies then?  Another question with the dt 770 how well do they do with an amp at higher volumes.  The problem with my COP even before they got damaged they didnt not fare well at higher volumes while being amped when listening to music.  I also need a headphone that can perform well an amp at higher volumes and still keep the sound controlled.  Does the DT 770 have this same problem or not? thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate it.  

May 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 29
I don't listen to my music too loud, so that may be a question better answered by others.  I don't think the M50s are very comfortable and their soundstage is pretty closed in (inferior to the 770s).

May 31, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
Another question with the dt 770 how well do they do with an amp at higher volumes.  The problem with my COP even before they got damaged they didnt not fare well at higher volumes while being amped when listening to music.  I also need a headphone that can perform well an amp at higher volumes and still keep the sound controlled.  Does the DT 770 have this same problem or not? thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate it.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633349/beyerdynamic-dt-770-80-vs-custom-one-pros-quick-comparison

The section on bass suggests that the DT 770 holds its own a little better at higher volumes than the COP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupNinja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1 for the DT-770's.

I use them for movies almost exclusively.  The HFI-780's don't seem too comfortable over long periods of time.

Just wondering, do you mean that when you watch movies, you only use the DT 770, or that you don't use the DT 770 for anything other than movies?
redface.gif

May 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 29
I am a movie lover myself listening with headphones. Subscribed.
I will try dt770 then.
You guys should try ad700, fantastic with movies, sound is very open, sparkling treble, comfortable and warm vocal. Quite a nice combi for movie.

I am wondering if Koss esp950 or Staxes Lambda are also nice for movies.

May 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 29
Recently I have been enjoying watching movie so much with Sony SA3000. 
Vocal is so crystal clear, sound also very open, treble very extended and delicate. 
For movie, I a like SA3000 a bit more than HD800 due to crispness and more realistic treble let say, for explosion. 
Bass also very detail and hit very hard and rise very fast!!.

Unfortunately my SA3000 is in hospital now.  One day it plays perfectly, the next day, the cable connection that attached to the cup is behaving. I called Sony care, they said that no ETA yet for the cable to arrive.  I am so sad.

May 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
+1 for the DT-770's.

I use them for movies almost exclusively.  The HFI-780's don't seem too comfortable over long periods of time.

That's probably true for most people. For me the HFI-780's are very comfortable but this is from someone who also has no problems wearing the concrete tank that is the Koss Pro 4AA :D

As mentioned already the Audio Technica ATH AD700 is also another great headphone for movies but I find the HFI-780's do a very similar job while being closed. Of course the AD700 kicks tail when it comes to comfort.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinMo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just wondering, do you mean that when you watch movies, you only use the DT 770, or that you don't use the DT 770 for anything other than movies?

Pretty much only for movies and etc.  I designate my headphones for specific purposes.  I blame Head-Fi.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
hmmm I was looking into the m50 and 780 at one time, but I ended up getting the COP in the end.  Are you saying that the soundmagic hp100 are good for watching movies? I would be very interested if that were true. 

Actually, I would disagree with that the HP100 are good for movies. I have them and although I genuinely disliked them at the beginning, I slowly begin to warm up to them for certain kind of music, particularly classical and nuanced female vocals. They are quite neutral, with decent separation and stage, but the bass lacks the depth and emphasis a good movie watching headphone requires, at east in my opinion.
Try to stick to the DT770 option as they are well known for good bass while preserving decent mids. My pair of 80 Ohm is arriving in a few days and I will be able to have a more accurate assessment of what they are like for that kind of usage. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
From my experience, hd800 and ad700 are excellent for movies.
I wonder if koss esp950 is also good for movies?

Some here seem to be missing observing that as there are different kinds of music - each requiring different equipment to be experienced at their best - there are also DIFFERENT kinds of films - from the eerie asian art films, through the dark and contained scandinavian dramas, to the naive exuberance of the Hollywood block-buster.
So, with films just as with music, it all comes down to your preferences and style. If you like films with subdued dialogues, refined background music and an overall understated sound, then the HP100 or the AD700 might be just spot on for you, with their detailed, open, neutral sound.
On the other hand, if you watch action, thrillers, horror, martial art films and the like you certainly require a pair of cans that can do justice to their bass heavy, "explosive" sound-track.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 29
MYes, true. For movies that is very warm, like attlestar galactica, i also like to use sa3000 to make the bottom end leaner so the vocal can stands out more. For very mumbling movies, i even use Grado sr60 to brighten up the vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back