Great headphones for metal and gaming?
Sep 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Morn

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm looking into buying a new pair of headphones soon and I'm not totally sure what to buy to suit my needs. I listen to mostly death, doom, black, etc... metal(ex: Death, Cynic, Woods of Ypres, Abigail Williams, Draconian, Kalisia, Dark Tranquillity)  and will be using them for gaming as well. From what I read people recommend Ultrasound HFI-780, Beyerdynamic DT990pro, Beyerdynamic DT440, Audio Technica A700, and Audio Technica A900, also heard good things about Audio Technica AD700 for gaming but not sure for metal listening. Prices can be between $100-$250 USD. Thanks for the response/help.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I listen to mostly metal, and I have the AD700's.  With a little bit of EQ they are simply amazing for metal music.  Just need to up the bass a little bit and they are what I would consider a good fast headphone with great treble and good mids.  The bass still won't shake your head, but I'm not really into that anyways.  It's got just the right amount of bass for me. 

They are amazing for gaming too.  First headphone I've had where turning off CMSS-3d actually gave me better positional audio.  You really can't beat the price either. 

If you're using a source that you can up the bass a little bit with these are a great choice. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the ad700's and I didn't really like them.  They have a huge soundstage and are great for gaming but I felt that the mids were recessed and "imaging" was weird.  I dunno if that's the correct term but when I listened to music all the instruments felt out of place, like some would sound like they were coming from behind me, others from the side, and some would just randomly be very distant and far off.  
That's unamped.  I just got an total bithead today and they sound 10x better now, I don't know why.  All of the instruments are so much more focused and I don't get a "dizzy" feeling listening to everything.  It feels like all the instruments have settled down from floating all around me into their proper locations.  I know everyone says the ad700's are easy to drive and don't require an amp.  Some even say that it won't benefit from an amp.  But in my personal experience, I was on the verge of selling them and was only holding on to them so I could give them a shot with an amp, and I'm very happy I did, now I'm not sure if I'll be keeping these or my Sennheiser 555's.  My Senheisser hd555's on the other hand didn't seem to benefit so much from amping.  I didn't get a very good listen because my amp started running low on batteries and I happened to be out of triple a's, but the improvement certainly wasn't as noticeable as the ad700's.
Either way, the ad700's were great for gaming, amped or not.  I think they're a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back