Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
May 20, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #346 of 538
Looking for advice, planning to get the zen can to drive the sundaras via balanced output but am using a shanling UA1 as the dac connected via 3.5mm or rca to 3.5mm connected to the desktop. Is it okay to pair it like this or is it better to get the zen dac v2 instead to act as both the dac and amp. Planning to save some cost. Thanks

May 20, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #347 of 538
Looking for advice, planning to get the zen can to drive the sundaras via balanced output but am using a shanling UA1 as the dac connected via 3.5mm or rca to 3.5mm connected to the desktop. Is it okay to pair it like this or is it better to get the zen dac v2 instead to act as both the dac and amp. Planning to save some cost. Thanks
I don't think that the UA1 is going to be the best source for the ZEN CAN.
If I were you I would start with the ZEN DAC V2 which is a great source for the money.
Run your headphones from the balanced output and if you find it lacking then save a little and add later a ZEN CAN.

May 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #348 of 538
I own Dac+Can+Sun. The Sundara need a lot more power than most people realise, so I would suggest you get the Zen-Can amp as it will make the most difference if you already own a decent sounding Dac as in the shanling UA1.

May 21, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #350 of 538
Still confused haha, one said to get the zen dac v2 another said to get the zen can.
Yes it is a viable opinion to go first for the zen can if you are happy with the UA1 sound performance.
You will get the power you seek and when you discover how well the zen can scales then you will start thinking about upgrading the dac!
Both routes are good and an upgrade from your current setup.

May 21, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #351 of 538
Yes it is a viable opinion to go first for the zen can if you are happy with the UA1 sound performance.
You will get the power you seek and when you discover how well the zen can scales then you will start thinking about upgrading the dac!
Both routes are good and an upgrade from your current setup.
Yeah probably will go with the zen can first and in the near future the zen dac v2 or any alternatives. Do the interconnection matters, like if the interconnection between the dac and amp via 3.5mm to 3.55mm/ rca to 3.5mm, does it cause any shorting? Or maybe less power, usability of the balanced output of the can or even sound quality difference?

May 21, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #352 of 538
Yeah probably will go with the zen can first and in the near future the zen dac v2 or any alternatives. Do the interconnection matters, like if the interconnection between the dac and amp via 3.5mm to 3.55mm/ rca to 3.5mm, does it cause any shorting? Or maybe less power, usability of the balanced output of the can or even sound quality difference?
No it doesn't matter.
I have tested all inputs and they work and perform the same.
Just use your best cable or whatever it suits you.
Now the best part is that the single ended input is converted into balanced inside the zen can so you still get full power output and excellent sound from the balanced output of the amplifier.
Seek for a unit with the iPower bundle inside the package.

May 21, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #353 of 538
No it doesn't matter.
I have tested all inputs and they work and perform the same.
Just use your best cable or whatever it suits you.
Now the best part is that the single ended input is converted into balanced inside the zen can so you still get full power output and excellent sound from the balanced output of the amplifier.
Seek for a unit with the iPower bundle inside the package.
Alright thanks for the advice, still quite skeptical about the iPower as it cost quite a bit, some people said its good if its for a standalone zen dac not necessary for the amp. I would rather save the cost for a dac in the future.

May 21, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #355 of 538
Forget the iPower as it makes no audible difference. I have tried 5 different power units and the iPower sounds no better than any of the others, in fact I think it sounds worse, it seems to make music sound more compressed. Save your money.
The Balanced 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnector does sound a little better.
The bass is a bit tighter and there's slightly better separation.
$19►https://AliExpress.com/item/1005002102294446.html

May 27, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #356 of 538
@iFi audio are there plans for a V2 of the ZEN CAN also in the near future (like DAC and Blue already got?)

May 27, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #357 of 538
Im personally hoping they drop a dedicated amp with the classic iFi bass and 3D treatment but the new Diablo topography.

They acknowledge missing Neo/Diablo level amp in their line up.

Since now that that Mr. Loesch has moved on from iFi I wonder if this will affect their future releases.
The Zen line was a farewell from Thorston.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #358 of 538
@iFi audio are there plans for a V2 of the ZEN CAN also in the near future (like DAC and Blue already got?)

It remains to be seen, but once I know anything on the subject I'll gladly share such info :)

Im personally hoping they drop a dedicated amp with the classic iFi bass and 3D treatment but the new Diablo topography.

They acknowledge the painfully obvious missing Neo/Diablo level amp in their line up.

Suffice it to say, we're always working on several projects :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 29, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #360 of 538

I'm actually curious about this. Can @iFi audio clarify if the power output of the ZEN varies according to the input type? The specs on the iFi site do indicate that the balanced input takes up to 4V, double that of the RCA's 2V.

Forget the iPower as it makes no audible difference. I have tried 5 different power units and the iPower sounds no better than any of the others, in fact I think it sounds worse, it seems to make music sound more compressed. Save your money.
The Balanced 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnector does sound a little better.
The bass is a bit tighter and there's slightly better separation.
$19►https://AliExpress.com/item/1005002102294446.html

Agreed on the iPower. In fact, my understanding is that the convention is to avoid using noise-suppressing power supplies with amplifiers, due to their implications on voltage swings (perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify). And from personal experience, I have not noticed any meaningful difference between the iPower and generic power supplies with regard to sound quality.

Agreed as well on the iFi branded 4.4mm interconnect. Not necessarily as a matter of sound quality, but having tried and compared two other third-party cables, I've learnt that the iFi 4.4mm cable uses a non-standard connector with a "lip" at the base of the plug. The two third-party cables I used between the ZEN DAC and ZEN CAN resulted in significant static/noise, which went away only when I used the iPower with the ZEN CAN. No such issues with the iFi cable when used together with generic power supplies. To be clear however, I don't agree with the idea of having to use iFi's own decidedly steeply-priced cable in order for their products fo function properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back