Graham Slee Voyager
Nov 30, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #31 of 53
Very few people have heard the Voyager. Speculation as to its sound and/or quality will naturally lead to comments about Slee's other products. That's why it is important that those who are posting have experience with his products or qualify their statements if they're just enthusiastically joining in the thread. If someone makes a blanket statement saying company x makes excellent products, the natural assumption is that the person posting has experience with the products and is qualified to make such a claim. It's quite another thing to say that company x has a reputation for excellence. I do not assume that poster has experience but is trying to be helpful by leading me in a direction for more research. Posting without first hand knowledge is fine as long as it's known. One of the first members to respond to this thread mentioned another thread in which the Voyager was discussed by someone who had heard it, reviewed it, and answered questions. Which is the most helpful to the op? A post that could be potentially misleading, since the poster doesn't really know what he's talking about, or one that points to real information?

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #32 of 53
FWIW, I have a Voyager on the way....and from memory of the Solo, aside from the plastic case (which I'm assuming was chosen to reduce costs both in manufacturing and consumer MSRP), I'm expecting nothing but great sound. It'll just boil down to preference of sig I'de imagine.

Like I said, I remember it being smoother than the hornet, and not cold/harsh by comparison. So there was some experiance with the GS line, not specifically to the Voyager, but I didn't state my impression on the Voyager, I said I wouldn't expect any less than a stellar product gauging on his others (and the feedback from others I've heard on things BESIDES a HP amp) and the one I have experianced.

I think that was clarified enough
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No he's not a sponsor but he's actively involved in the community and therefore affiliated...

Based on said definition then RSA, HeadRoom, TTVJ, ALO, etc are affiliated w/ Head Fi. Dangerous waters to thread if asked!

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #34 of 53
What is it with the Voyager and sparking heated threads?

Anyway, in an attempt to bring this thread back on topic: I've heard people say the Voyager is a mini-Solo (sound signature wise) and I've heard others say it's not. Any informed opinions out there?

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. When I hear someone state, especially as a recommendation to someone else, that a particular manufacturer makes some of the best amps available I would expect that person to have a significant level of experience with the manufacturer or at least in some way to refer upon what basis they are making the recommendation. As it stood you and I have no way of knowing whether or not oicdn had ANY experience with Slee's products, but his post would certainly lead anyone reading it to believe that he had a lot.

Repeating second hand information can get dangerous in a hurry and isn't really very productive, in my opinion of course. Would it be so awful if people stuck to making recommendations about products that they had direct experience with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/

Quote:

Very few people have heard the Voyager. Speculation as to its sound and/or quality will naturally lead to comments about Slee's other products. That's why it is important that those who are posting have experience with his products or qualify their statements if they're just enthusiastically joining in the thread. If someone makes a blanket statement saying company x makes excellent products, the natural assumption is that the person posting has experience with the products and is qualified to make such a claim. It's quite another thing to say that company x has a reputation for excellence. I do not assume that poster has experience but is trying to be helpful by leading me in a direction for more research. Posting without first hand knowledge is fine as long as it's known. One of the first members to respond to this thread mentioned another thread in which the Voyager was discussed by someone who had heard it, reviewed it, and answered questions. Which is the most helpful to the op? A post that could be potentially misleading, since the poster doesn't really know what he's talking about, or one that points to real information?

I have no problem if a posters mentions that he has read reviews that indicate a product sounds good. Not only have Graham's product's won many awards but more importantly Sennheiser displays in EU their headphones w/ a Solo amp. I do happen to be one that has a pre-production Green Solo and two of the Voyagers a high gain and low gain. The low gain is to be the production model.

As stated earlier you do not have to drive a Ferrari or a Porsche to say that they are great sports cars, based on just about every magazine review out there (I prefer a Vette though and I have driven Porsche and Ferrari). I think some of you are getting way to aggressive on a subject matter that for all practical purposes is very insignificant. This is a hobby for pleasure, we are not trying to find the cure for cancer or solve world hunger.

Vicky, if you have the time it looks like tomorrow I will be getting together w/ Vorlon1 and HighFlight to go over some portable amps. We plan on meeting at 12:30 pm by the Jackson Memorial Hospital (I95 and SR836 intersection) and we may have enough space for a 4th (very small office). If you wish to join us PM me. You would have an opportunity to listen to both Voyagers and two modded iBasso D1, a Xin Reference, and other stuff.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #36 of 53
mrarroyo - Yes I would say head-fi is associated with these manufacturers. This isn't meant to stir up anymore tihs, I think I've already excelled in that field!

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 53
What have I unleashed... I really didn't mean to take a side in a personal disagreement. I was grateful for oicdn's views as it was a non rock grotto opinion on the GSL brand. I'd only heard the hi-fi gear he has made in my mate's setup so I was kind of interested in general opinion on it. I did not mean to insult you boonama and I'm glad you qualified what oicdn said, and I also didn't expect to insight any of this.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What have I unleashed... I really didn't mean to take a side in a personal disagreement. I was grateful for oicdn's views as it was a non rock grotto opinion on the GSL brand. I'd only heard the hi-fi gear he has made in my mate's setup so I was kind of interested in general opinion on it. I did not mean to insult you boonama and I'm glad you qualified what oicdn said, and I also didn't expect to insight any of this.

I'm not insulted at all, and apologize to the op for taking this thread way off topic. If you're interested in opinions on GSL amps, there have been a number of informative threads and posts by members with genuine experience. A simple search should give you plenty of views. I originally checked into this thread out of curiosity based on recommendations I'd read there. I have yet to hear one of his amps and would like to.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #43 of 53
Read the info on the Slee website about this amp, specifically the part on smd vs through hole.

They posted some outright lies, that anyone with some knowledge would recognize.

However, last time I mentioned that, and even PROVED they are lying, I got flamed.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by digismurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI - For me that link returns no results. Also for me post crash searches are not working as they did pre-crash.

I know it's not your fault but just wanted to let you know about your link. Regards.

That's weird. I checked it out after I posted. To get another, just go into search this forum, do advanced search, type in Graham Slee in thread titles only, and press the handy button. A whole list should appear.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

That's weird. I checked it out after I posted. To get another, just go into search this forum, do advanced search, type in Graham Slee in thread titles only, and press the handy button. A whole list should appear.

Brilliant! Thank you!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back