Graham Slee Voyager
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried Green Solo (pre 2008) from last head-fi meeting here, simply awesome - the only amp that able to push my Denon D2K into different level, simply the cans is singing! very musical, I love it, and I'm interested if someone willing to trade it for my Heed Canamp
biggrin.gif

Damn you! My Denon 2k's should be arriving today. Now I'll have to get a Solo.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #17 of 53
ROFL, I just recently bought Heed Canamp (currently burning in), and paired with D2K - my ears drum almost pop out, due to it's massive bass, I feel the majestic sound of it, very big & wide.

But compared to my experience with Green solo, damnit...
Green solo & Denon D2K is the perfect pair, married in heaven.
My D2K simply overjoy with it's sound, I can't even believe my ears.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 53
It's a shame about the currency exchange rates for the £ as I have always
liked a good deal of the British stuff, but always pay a premium for it because
of the £ vs $AUD.

Not much chance in the LAND down UNDER to sample the stuff from Graham Slee. The only thing that has popped up on our shores is his Phono Pre amps.

Would love to one day hear the SOLO driving my Sennies.....

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That statement is incorrect and misleading. Graham may post at Rock Grotto but he is not an sponsor.
biggrin.gif

No he's not a sponsor but he's actively involved in the community and therefore affiliated. I did not imply financially and I did not mean financially. In fact I think it's wonderful that manufacturers take a direct interest in their end users' opinion which is one of many reasons I hope to acquire a voyager in the next few weeks!
However does it not seem sensible to enquire around other forums? I'll answer that. Yes, yes it is.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But compared to my experience with Green solo, damnit...
Green solo & Denon D2K is the perfect pair, married in heaven.
My D2K simply overjoy with it's sound, I can't even believe my ears.

I know what's going at the top of my Christmas list now.
biggrin.gif

I'm running the D2k's from my Hornet and iRiver H120 at the moment. First impressions are very good but I'll be recabling them in the next couple of weeks, which I hope will maximise their potential (along with a Solo, of course
wink.gif
)
They do leak a little more than I expected. Or maybe I'm just deaf and listen at louder volume levels than everyone else...

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 53
I've only heard a Solo. It was brief and it wasn't back to back with anything except a Hornet, but from memory I remember it sounded smoother and not as cold/harsh by comparison. That's about the only thing I remember aside from it's looks and it being expensive. I'm still potentially waiting on a Voyager to arrive so I can compare it to a Hornet and Portaphile Maxxed back to back.

The owner of it said he also had the Phono preamp (I have no idea which one) and it sounded great. I didn't even see or listen to it, but the guy seemed like he couldn't praise it enough.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard a Solo. It was brief and it wasn't back to back with anything except a Hornet, but from memory I remember it sounded smoother and not as cold/harsh by comparison. That's about the only thing I remember aside from it's looks and it being expensive.

You'll understand my confusion then about you saying that "his amps are amongst the best out there" since you've only heard the Solo and briefly at that.
confused.gif
I guess I expect that type of statement from a current or past owner of multiple products from the same vendor.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 53
The solo really is an excellent amp for 650s, I heard it at the last UK meet and I've got one on the way at the moment. From what I remember, it sounded much the same as the voyager, which is no bad thing!

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 53
No maher. Your confusion is not understandable. Does everyone who believes ferrari is one of the best sports car brands available have to have driven one? Have you ever seen the whitehouse? But you would say it exists right?
People have opinions on all kind of things they don't directly experience, but a lack of direct experience doesn't discredit their indirect experiences.
It might have been an issue if he had tried to pass his indirect experience of the entire GSP brand as opposed as a first hand account of every single product they've ever made, but he quite clearly didn't.
What discredits opinions is bias out of the terms of the question. Clearly here you have a bias against indirect experience, which is outside of the question, discrediting your opinion.
Direct experience of every product is definitely preferable but it doesn't necessarily discredit secondary sources.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No maher. Your confusion is not understandable. <snip>
Direct experience of every product is definitely preferable but it doesn't necessarily discredit secondary sources.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. When I hear someone state, especially as a recommendation to someone else, that a particular manufacturer makes some of the best amps available I would expect that person to have a significant level of experience with the manufacturer or at least in some way to refer upon what basis they are making the recommendation. As it stood you and I have no way of knowing whether or not oicdn had ANY experience with Slee's products, but his post would certainly lead anyone reading it to believe that he had a lot.

Repeating second hand information can get dangerous in a hurry and isn't really very productive, in my opinion of course. Would it be so awful if people stuck to making recommendations about products that they had direct experience with?

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

No maher. Your confusion is not understandable. Does everyone who believes ferrari is one of the best sports car brands available have to have driven one? Have you ever seen the whitehouse? But you would say it exists right?
People have opinions on all kind of things they don't directly experience, but a lack of direct experience doesn't discredit their indirect experiences.
It might have been an issue if he had tried to pass his indirect experience of the entire GSP brand as opposed as a first hand account of every single product they've ever made, but he quite clearly didn't.
What discredits opinions is bias out of the terms of the question. Clearly here you have a bias against indirect experience, which is outside of the question, discrediting your opinion.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 53
As I stated before he/she didn't suggest he had. So anyone's assumption that his/her opinion was anything other than a general opinion on the brand is entirely that - assumption.
I see no reason why his/her opinion isn't valid in considering consumer opinion of the brand.
You may feel that consumer opinion is entirely irrelevant to the quality of the product, and I would agree with you, but it's still interesting to hear and only misinforms if you choose to interpret it in a misinformed manner.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

As I stated before he/she didn't suggest he had. So anyone's assumption that his/her opinion was anything other than a general opinion on the brand is entirely that - assumption.
I see no reason why his/her opinion isn't valid in considering consumer opinion of the brand.
You may feel that consumer opinion is entirely irrelevant to the quality of the product, and I would agree with you, but it's still interesting to hear and only misinforms if you choose to interpret it in a misinformed manner.

In a format that doesn't allow for a lot of rapid back and forth discussion I think posting broad, sweeping generalizations in an authoritative tone (how I read oicdn's comment) is potentially misleading. I have no problem with people saying stuff like "based on what I've read Slee's stuff seems fantastic" but there was absolutely no qualifying information in oicdn's post. So if I'd never asked the interpretations could have been wildly varying which I happen to think is not such a good thing. I also don't see where I was at all unpleasant and I'm sorry you read it that way.

Just my 2¢, which in this case is clearly not a bargin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back