Graham Slee Voyager
Nov 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Tarkovsky

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting one of these to drive the etymotic ER4S. I've read good reviews, but they've mostly been at rock grotto, which is affiliated with Graham Slee. What's the opinion of head-fiers? Is it worth the £180?

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 53
it's really new, i doubt anyone has it. there was a thread by mrarroyo a few weeks ago about the voyager - it has some decent information on it - although its similar to the rockgrotto thread.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 53
Well (gulp) these guys seem to be mostly from the USA and Graham’s little portable box is jolly expensive in dollars. It also looks a bit ordinary in its plastic box, not in a metal extruded box with a nice machined knob and gold-plated connectors. I think the consensus was that it didn’t quite look the part.

Right I better go and hide now…

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 53
IIRC my Hornet (for example) doesn't have gold plated connectors either.

I think there are some Voyager impressions in the latest UK meet thread, as it made an appearance there. I didn't get time to try it though.
I agree with Thermionic - it doesn't quite have the same expensive look to it as the Hornet (or some other HP amps), but if it's of equal build quality and sounds better, then I personally don't care if it doesn't look quite as good.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 53
Well Thermionic, it's not our fault the average Brit's wage is $50000 a year, they deliberately devalued the dollar because they owed the Japanese loads because of the cars they buy...

Anyhow.

Thanks for your input. I had been searching avidly for some info. I'll lookup mrarroyo's threads. I plan to get one myself in the next month or so and you can expect a full review then!

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 53
Have a look at his other products.

Phono Preamp Stage - Headphone Amplifier - Interconnect and Accessories Product Range

GrahamF.jpg

GrahamR.jpg

That solo isn't exactly ugly....the Voyager is in that plastic case because it's meant to be a portable and take abuse. But his other products that are more transportable, aren't cheap looking.

Expensive, but his amps are amongst the best out there.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 53
I think his other products look very nice. I'm very tempted by the Solo actually...
My comment was purely about the Voyager, which does indeed look like it could take a lot of abuse. More abuse than I'd let happen to my headphone amp.
I'm also very happy* with my Hornet.

*[size=xx-small]Disclaimer - for now[/size]
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... which is affiliated with Graham Slee....

That statement is incorrect and misleading. Graham may post at Rock Grotto but he is not an sponsor.

I have two Voyagers, the original and the one w/ the reduced gain. Last time I posted it became a "sh_t slinging" by one or two individuals that for some reason which they only know "killed" that Voyager thread.

The Voyager will not win any beauty contest, it does not have a dac, gain switch, rca outs, metal case, or a metal knob. What it does have is excellent sound (IMO). This weekend I will be meeting w/ Vorlon1 and HiFlight so they can listen to the amp. Then I will be shipping them to dw6928 and oicdn for their review.

Here are some of the amp's features:

- Hammond plastic case.
- Three ways to power it: 12-24 VDC PSU, 9-volt batttery (50-60 hours) or USB
- Based on the AD823 op-amp
- Contour switch which some may like (I do not)
- 1/8" input and headphone out

The fact the US dollar is so low makes this amp and other European offerings quite expensive. Furthermore, only you after listening to an audio gear can determine if it is for you or not.

Quote:

...although its similar to the rockgrotto thread.

Of course it is similar! I wrote a review and I posted it in two forums.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expensive, but his amps are amongst the best out there.

Which is your favorite? I've always wanted to sample some of Grahams work but you know there just aren't enough hours in the day. And mrarroyo is right, it's not a good idea to judge a book solely on its cover.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 53
I've tried Green Solo (pre 2008) from last head-fi meeting here, simply awesome - the only amp that able to push my Denon D2K into different level, simply the cans is singing! very musical, I love it, and I'm interested if someone willing to trade it for my Heed Canamp
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back