GRAHAM SLEE SOLO
Mar 26, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

braddo

100+ Head-Fier
HI . I am seriously thinking about getting one one these with power supply.
Are they good compared to other amps? If YES what amps? If NO why? Don't want valve, only ss. How do they sound? What type of sound have they got. Using K701. Hard to find info on this amp!!! Thanks all.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 24
Supposedly sound great. Rich bottom end on call. I looked at the pics on their website and the whole package looks very vintage to me - as those someone backward engineered a Marantz amplifer headphone jack - which to me is a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
The only thing that bugs me is $80 dollar to ship one to the U.S. I think that's a mite extreme. (and honestly, even though I know they're all the rage. I think $300 is a kinda high for the components I see inside it.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 24
In the Oct 2007 UK meet impressions Jules650 said "The Graham Slee Solo was the star of the meet. There were quite a few people who preferred it to the GS-1 and I think Paul's fallen in love with it."

I've got a GS-1 and I love it, but I have often been tempted by a Green Solo.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 24
I really like mine. I don't have the K701, but I believe that the Solo 2004 was made with the Senn HD600 and HD650 in mind. It also drives K501 fairly well, based on a post from a ways back. Search on "501" and "solo". The K701 may also shine?

I have an okay source, so I'm not sure what extras the Solo brings to the table anymore (been using this set up for a few years). But what I hear from the Senns is excellent balance across the frequency range...highs, mids and lows are all present. Bass from my combo is great, perfect for trance music. Soundstaging is wide, high, and reasonably deep (Z axis), although I'm sure better amps (and balanced) would present a more lush soundstage. Separation and detail has been improved with the addition of the ALO cable two weeks ago, even though I thought there was nothing wrong with the Zu Mobius (which is broken).

Overall I think punch, detail, dynamics are the key characteristics of the Solo. I wouldn't call it transparent, exactly. More to the point, it delivers sound in all the right ways. Apparently the PSU1 has been upgraded since I bought mine....not sure what the difference is. Since I'm happy with my unit as it is, I'll save the money for CDs and a balanced rig at some point in the future.

A secondhand Solo + PSU1 would be a bargain. At its retail price point, it probably performs up to the market standard. For example, the Linear Black Cube, from what I've read, presents better ambient detail, but does not have the punch of the Solo. You should be able to find that forum post or review online too.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 24
I have a 2006 Solo with PSU1. Sold it in 2007. Now I have a Voyager which has some 400 hours on it and still burning in.

The Solo with PSU1 is one of the best solid state amps for HD650 and K701. Right amount of warmth, very fast, highly resolving and as many said - with punch. It is a constant current drive so good for those cans which eat a lot of current.

The Voyager does not provide the same extent (depth and quantity) of slam, but to my ears almost equally resolving. On the other hand, listening to my Edition 9 through the Voyager is a very pleasant, non-fatigue experience. The Voyager's sound is quite engaging for a portable amp, and the weight, though not in the same league as the Solo with PSU1, is itself quite amazing for a portable amp.

BTW, I sold my Solo w PSU1 for more than 9 months, and I still miss it.

Just my 2 cents.

F. Lo

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 24
Thanks everyone. My TALISMAN amp to me is well balanced and musical with punch. I heard it is tube like, neutral, well balanced, lush etc.! Only amp i own so not sure. Definantly has punch to me, and sounds 'right'. It may be coloured. A keeper for me. I really want a transparant, neutral amp, with detail. Still thinking, and asking! This is fun huh!

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 24
My 2 cents as owner of "Green" Solo (a switched mode design which is supposed to provide equivalent performance to 2007 Solo with PSU1 power supply).

I have used the HD650 with SAA Equinox cable and ALO-recabled K701's and preferred the latter. The HD650 has a weightier mid/upper bass and a "darker" sound but I always feel the mids/treble sound somewhat "veiled" to repeat that timeworn cliche. With the Solo, the K701 is clean, refined and dynamic - and where there is deep bass on a recording it definitely comes through. Can definitely recommend this combination.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 24
Thanks markymark, kind of what i'm after, still deciding, probably be deciding forever. Is there any type of warmth, not neccasary but all round balance can be a good thing. I guess the main question - Does this amp ring true???

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the HD650 with SAA Equinox cable and ALO-recabled K701's and preferred the latter. The HD650 has a weightier mid/upper bass and a "darker" sound but I always feel the mids/treble sound somewhat "veiled" to repeat that timeworn cliche. With the Solo, the K701 is clean, refined and dynamic - and where there is deep bass on a recording it definitely comes through. Can definitely recommend this combination.

Nice one. I've been eyeing off the K701 ALO rig, so you've given me more food for thought.
wink.gif

That said, the ALO Senn cable makes the HD650 sound bloody sweet and silky! As smooth as Jennifer Hawkins' inner thigh....

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 24
Jennifer who?

I have used a Solo 2007 to drive a pair of de-foamed HD650s with Equinox cable for 8 to 10 months now. My previous best headphone system (which I still have) was a Stax Lambda Signature with valve energiser.

The Solo / Equinox / HD650 combination seems to me to be the better overall combination for enjoying music with. Bass, mid, Hf, detail (almost), slam, grunt, splosh, caplunk, you name it all seem more like the real thing. Oh yes, and once burnt in it probably does have the warmth and smoothness of Jennifer whatsit’s inner leggy bits.

But joking aside the Solo does seem to be a good amp and is well thought of (at least in the UK), I have found it to be neutral and transparent (it has no sound) with great dynamics, and I have lost interest in looking for anything better. There are of course many, many amps out there that might indeed sound different, but it remains to be seen if they are any more accurate as reproducers of audio.

The Solo is not a budget amp though, and with the adverse exchange rate this might prove to be the Solo’s only significant problem in the US.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Oh yes, and once burnt in it probably does have the warmth and smoothness of Jennifer whatsit’s inner leggy bits.

Yes, but they're probably not as satisfying.

Interesting that you should say the Solo has no sound. I've heard it characterized as on the "warm" side. HeadAmp's products are the ones around here that seem to get the neutrality prize. Some call them clinical. Personally, I'd just as soon get my warmth from the cans. Or Jennifer whatsits inner leggy bits.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back