Graham Slee Solo SRG (with PSU1) Impressions
Apr 5, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 118
You guys are in for a treat, the Solo is really something. kds5000 graciously allowed me to audition his Solo with my K400 and K500 for the entire afternoon yesterday. It brought a smile to my face with all kinds of music with its speed, snap and timbre, but I found it worked best with pop/rock/jazz. Definitely on the slightly warmer side of neutral, but still imparting much verve to the music. The only (small) quibble I had was the soundstage was more forward than what I usually prefer, but that's just me and my penchant for large soundstages.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #47 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all you've done. Great community this is.
biggrin.gif

My pleasure - I enjoyed this thread
icon10.gif

I'm just glad Gradofan2 will get to try Miguel's SRG.

"Great community this is" x2
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #48 of 118
Hi guy's,

Have really been enjoying reading this thread, i am on the verge of coming to the end of stage one out of two in deciding on getting either a AkG 701 or 702 and had almost decided until i read up on the Solo amp here with the 70x.

There is a pair of 702's ending soon with blackdragon cable for £335 on fleabay and was wandering if to get them as the seller is in my homeland of the UK, (easier and faster ship)

So, a few Q's, partly aimed at you kds5000 to start with, as you have a pair of 702's with the black dragon cable!

Is it worth getting the 702 compared to the 701's for been able to upgrade the cable?

How much better do the blackdragon cable's sound to the stock cable?

(sounds hollow, but i do like the colour of the 701's vs the 702's, nothing a tin of Dulux would'nt sort out!) (yes it was a poor joke!
biggrin.gif
)

I am not to conversant with the other amp's you guys have mentioned, but i was considering getting either the Solo or Naim Line2 to go with the 70x, but now a little unsure, so which would be the best amp to go for with the 70x?

I listen to all genre's right across the board, Rock, pop, dance/club, female vocal, acoustic, blues, and ost's mainly.

Almost got a solo and 701's of of ebay the other day and half regretted it for the final price they went for (cheap!), but stayed stead fast as i did not want to be the fool that rushed in! as i still needed to do my homework on it.

For reference i currently own Shure E500's & Senn IE8's for commuting with my Cowon D2, Ipod Touch 2g and sony a818 (not all the same time!), listening to all in lossless file's.

Plus with all this reading on here i have dusted down my 15 year old DT770's i have not used for a few years and started listening to them again, but unfortunately i only have a cheapy old QED head amp that cost me approx £80 when i got the 770's with the only 2 rca-3.5 jack cable i have at the moment which is a cheap £30 phillips cable! Does'nt sound great due to amp and cable, but can hear something wanting to break out in my old 770's!
dt880smile.png

If it help's i prefer what i would say is my more nuetral and more balanced sound of my Shure E500's that have a very accurate top end with good soundstage for in ear's to my Senn IE8's and my father's old Senn HD120's which have that more warmer, fuller bass presence and as for my 770's through a poor cable and amp it sounds harsh with a punchy bass with the instrument's clashing and bottlenecking during busy passages of music.

I would appreciate if you wisdomist guy's of knowledge and experience can point a humble headphone dweller the right way in deciding with those proposal's of headphone's (701 or 702) with which amp's?

Oh, also what interconnect would then be ideal to hook up my dap's to the amp, or would that depend on how the cable sounds with each source?

I'm
confused_face(1).gif
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #50 of 118
^ The only difference between K701 and K702 is that the K702 is black and has a detachable cable. Apart from that they are the same headphones.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #51 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are in for a treat, the Solo is really something. kds5000 graciously allowed me to audition his Solo with my K400 and K500 for the entire afternoon yesterday. It brought a smile to my face with all kinds of music with its speed, snap and timbre, but I found it worked best with pop/rock/jazz. Definitely on the slightly warmer side of neutral, but still imparting much verve to the music. The only (small) quibble I had was the soundstage was more forward than what I usually prefer, but that's just me and my penchant for large soundstages.

Sounds like this is what I need for my K601... extra speed and snap on the warmer side of neutral.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #52 of 118
I've been seriously looking at this amp as my next major purchase for some time now, but the GS direct store won't ship to Canada.. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open on the FS forum and audiogon..

Really like the automatic impedance detection (switching gain on the LD IV can become tiresome, heh)

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #53 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guy's,

Have really been enjoying reading this thread, i am on the verge of coming to the end of stage one out of two in deciding on getting either a AkG 701 or 702 and had almost decided until i read up on the Solo amp here with the 70x.

There is a pair of 702's ending soon with blackdragon cable for £335 on fleabay and was wandering if to get them as the seller is in my homeland of the UK, (easier and faster ship)

So, a few Q's, partly aimed at you kds5000 to start with, as you have a pair of 702's with the black dragon cable!

Is it worth getting the 702 compared to the 701's for been able to upgrade the cable?

How much better do the blackdragon cable's sound to the stock cable?

(sounds hollow, but i do like the colour of the 701's vs the 702's, nothing a tin of Dulux would'nt sort out!) (yes it was a poor joke!
biggrin.gif
)

I am not to conversant with the other amp's you guys have mentioned, but i was considering getting either the Solo or Naim Line2 to go with the 70x, but now a little unsure, so which would be the best amp to go for with the 70x?

I listen to all genre's right across the board, Rock, pop, dance/club, female vocal, acoustic, blues, and ost's mainly.

Almost got a solo and 701's of of ebay the other day and half regretted it for the final price they went for (cheap!), but stayed stead fast as i did not want to be the fool that rushed in! as i still needed to do my homework on it.

For reference i currently own Shure E500's & Senn IE8's for commuting with my Cowon D2, Ipod Touch 2g and sony a818 (not all the same time!), listening to all in lossless file's.

Plus with all this reading on here i have dusted down my 15 year old DT770's i have not used for a few years and started listening to them again, but unfortunately i only have a cheapy old QED head amp that cost me approx £80 when i got the 770's with the only 2 rca-3.5 jack cable i have at the moment which is a cheap £30 phillips cable! Does'nt sound great due to amp and cable, but can hear something wanting to break out in my old 770's!
dt880smile.png

If it help's i prefer what i would say is my more nuetral and more balanced sound of my Shure E500's that have a very accurate top end with good soundstage for in ear's to my Senn IE8's and my father's old Senn HD120's which have that more warmer, fuller bass presence and as for my 770's through a poor cable and amp it sounds harsh with a punchy bass with the instrument's clashing and bottlenecking during busy passages of music.

I would appreciate if you wisdomist guy's of knowledge and experience can point a humble headphone dweller the right way in deciding with those proposal's of headphone's (701 or 702) with which amp's?

Oh, also what interconnect would then be ideal to hook up my dap's to the amp, or would that depend on how the cable sounds with each source?

I'm
confused_face(1).gif
wink_face.gif

I bought the K702 BECAUSE of the detachable cable, so yes, I think it's worth the small premium over the K701. Part of the fun of this hobby is being able to constantly change your rig - a detachable cable gives you one more option to play with...
tongue_smile.gif

To my ears, the Black Dragon sounds noticeably different from the stock cable. I chose the Black Dragon because it was supposed to give the K702 more weight and warmth - I specifically told Drew of Moon Audio my needs and this is what he recommended. Funny thing is, the BD improved the K702 in all aspects EXCEPT the bass - you will notice the treble extension and soundstage improvement immediately. I actually found the stock cable more bassy - which is what I wanted in the first place.

If I were to do it all again, I probably wouldn't pay full price for the BD cable. However, since you may be able to buy the whole package at GBP335, I'd say take it (if you're not too late). Especially if it comes with the stock cable too.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd recommend the Heed CanAmp with the K702 if your budget's a little tight and the Headline 2 if you can stretch for it. IMO, both are bassy amps (in a good way) and mate well with the K701/702. The Solo SRG is not as bassy. Its tight and punchy bass is perfect for the RS1 and MS-Pro, but less so the AKGs. But, I like my bass and, as always, YMMV.

The 3 amps I'm familiar with - CanAmp, SRG and Headline 2 all have excellent soundstage. You won't go wrong with any one of them with the K701/702.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #54 of 118
Thats ruled out the black dragon for me then! The only area I feel I want to improve is bass weight and prominence. Probably try the ALO instead.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #55 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by kds5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the K702 BECAUSE of the detachable cable, so yes, I think it's worth the small premium over the K701. Part of the fun of this hobby is being able to constantly change your rig - a detachable cable gives you one more option to play with...
tongue_smile.gif

To my ears, the Black Dragon sounds noticeably different from the stock cable. I chose the Black Dragon because it was supposed to give the K702 more weight and warmth - I specifically told Drew of Moon Audio my needs and this is what he recommended. Funny thing is, the BD improved the K702 in all aspects EXCEPT the bass - you will notice the treble extension and soundstage improvement immediately. I actually found the stock cable more bassy - which is what I wanted in the first place.

If I were to do it all again, I probably wouldn't pay full price for the BD cable. However, since you may be able to buy the whole package at GBP335, I'd say take it (if you're not too late). Especially if it comes with the stock cable too.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd recommend the Heed CanAmp with the K702 if your budget's a little tight and the Headline 2 if you can stretch for it. IMO, both are bassy amps (in a good way) and mate well with the K701/702. The Solo SRG is not as bassy. Its tight and punchy bass is perfect for the RS1 and MS-Pro, but less so the AKGs. But, I like my bass and, as always, YMMV.

The 3 amps I'm familiar with - CanAmp, SRG and Headline 2 all have excellent soundstage. You won't go wrong with any one of them with the K701/702.

Thank's, that has made it more compelling. Unfortunetley that 702 With BD cable ended the following day, but i am not quite 100% decided between the 701 & 702 just yet for sure anyhow.

I think the detachable cable would be handy and i can always try out different cable's at a later date as i would rather use the cable ££'s towards the amp for now as i think initially i would be blown away with the 701/702 stock with a good amp anyhow.

For some strange reason as usually i do not like white colour scheme with most thing's, but i find the 701 the exeptioon and wish on this occasion they done the detachable cable with the white 701 version!

To pick your brain a bit deeper anyway KDS5000 on the amp front, bearing in mind i am after a more balanced sound across the range and not after or desperate for extreme bass of any sort, even though there has got to be a natural amount of bass, would you say that the GS Solo too bass light for the K701's then or still an acceptable level?
(i know it is subjective as all our ear's hear slightly different anyhow)

I do have the budget to stretch to the Naim or GS solo amp if i get the 701/2 at the right price, and if i am right the Naim Line2 amp with "i supply"adapter is cheaper comparred wth the Solo with psu1.

Does anyone know how many different company's actually do a custom cable for the 702 to date?
just wandering how much choice there would be to go with if i got the 702, as by what you said KDS i don't think the 702's can afford to have anyless bass than originally started with the stock cables to the bluedragon's...

I was after a portable amp, but after being informed i would not get full potential of 70x's with even the good portable's i decided apart from when on the plane i would have a power socket to hand wherever i go to stay whilst away from home and like to think even the Solo or Naim would still be okay in the suitcase to take away with me.

Anyway, i would love to know which of those two amp's (Naim or Solo) you would say have the more all round balanced sound that has more a
natural-ness feel to the sound?

I remember (many years ago) if anything like my first good inergrated amp (Naim Nait3) and my father's cerrent top end Naim pre and power amp's that he has (cannot remember model no.)they have a tight well driven pacy dynamic sound that i find unique to the Naim brand signiture and wonder if the Naim head amp would be in the same vien as their normal amp's for sound signiture?

I think i will be happy with either the Naim or Solo but want to just nail it down a bit more as i am also still trying to make a final chioce between 701 or 702!

Finally what interconnect's do you guy's use between your amp and source?
Just wanted to know how much i will need to spend in that area as well as i have to take that into consideration to get something that will do the amp justice...(looking for a 2rca --> 3.5 jack as using with my daps)

All fun & game's!
dt880smile.png

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #57 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats ruled out the black dragon for me then! The only area I feel I want to improve is bass weight and prominence. Probably try the ALO instead.

The ALO was one of the cables I was considering - do let me know your impressions
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #58 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To pick your brain a bit deeper anyway KDS5000 on the amp front, bearing in mind i am after a more balanced sound across the range and not after or desperate for extreme bass of any sort, even though there has got to be a natural amount of bass, would you say that the GS Solo too bass light for the K701's then or still an acceptable level?
(i know it is subjective as all our ear's hear slightly different anyhow)

Anyway, i would love to know which of those two amp's (Naim or Solo) you would say have the more all round balanced sound that has more a
natural-ness feel to the sound?

I wouldn't say the Solo SRG is too bass light for the K702 - there is a nice tight punch to the bass that should appeal to someone who wants a balanced sound across the range without an over-emphasis in the bass frequencies i.e. you. My personal preference is a slightly heavier bass, you understand...
biggrin.gif

Both amps are very sweet sounding - punchy, fast and dynamic. The Naim Headline 2 with NPSC 2 I auditioned at the shop had the best bass I've heard to date - I tried the K701 on it for over an hour and ended up buying the K702 (for its detachable cable) on the strength of that audition.

If you can afford it, the K701/702 and the Headline 2 with NSPC 2 would be ideal IMO. But, to qualify my opinion, that set-up at the shop was completely different from my own rig, and it's entirely possible that the CDP had a hand in that bass reproduction (I think I gave the name of that CDP elsewhere in this thread), so YMMV.

Also, bearing in mind that the Headline 2 with NSPC 2 costs almost double the SRG where I live, the SRG is very very good value for money and it punches well above its price bracket. Especially if you pair it with Grados...
gs1000.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #59 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solo SRG has arrived, it is burning in for at least 250 hours maybe up to 500 hours.

DSCN0647.jpg

Nice! Do let us know your impressions Miguel!
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #60 of 118
I have had my Solo SRG burning in for 22 hours using the switching psu (unit is grounded using the grounding plug on the back of the amp). I am using the D2000 since it also needs burning in (another new toy which I got at a great discount since it is used).

So far with such a limited burn-in and not using the PSU1 I can say:

- The soundstage width is huge! The depth makes the user feel he/she is in the stage w/ the musicians instead of in front of them.
- There is a lot of air between the notes.
- The mids are to die for w/ a level of clarity rarely heard in other amps so early in the burn-in process. At times I feel the musicians are in the same room as I am.
- The amp has great treble extension w/o any harshness or shrillness.
- The bass is tight and very well defined. I wish there was a bit more of it, hope that burn-in and the use of the PSU1 will provide the additional punch.

More to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back