Graham Slee Solo SRG (with PSU1) Impressions
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #61 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my Solo SRG burning in for 22 hours using the switching psu (unit is grounded using the grounding plug on the back of the amp). I am using the D2000 since it also needs burning in (another new toy which I got at a great discount since it is used).

So far with such a limited burn-in and not using the PSU1 I can say:

- The soundstage width is huge! The depth makes the user feel he/she is in the stage w/ the musicians instead of in front of them.
- There is a lot of air between the notes.
- The mids are to die for w/ a level of clarity rarely heard in other amps so early in the burn-in process. At times I feel the musicians are in the same room as I am.
- The amp has great treble extension w/o any harshness or shrillness.
- The bass is tight and very well defined. I wish there was a bit more of it, hope that burn-in and the use of the PSU1 will provide the additional punch.

More to come!

Your impressions mirror mine Miguel! It's really a wonderful little amp isn't it, especially at this price point.

The SRG sounds great out of the box already. Over time though, the changes are subtle. Mine has just over 500 hours now, and the most noticeable changes are that the treble and mids have become even smoother, and the soundstage slightly wider. It is the most non-fatiguing SS amp I've heard to date, and I can comfortably listen to the SRG/RS1 for over 5 hours at a stretch.

From what I gather (I haven't heard it with the switching psu), the PSU1 is supposed to just give you an even bigger soundstage - I don't think it provides more punch to the bass tho.

Can't wait to read your full review of the SRG Miguel!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #63 of 118
So it´s true it has a wider soundstage then the old version it sounds like. Is it also true that it´s drives low impedance headphones better?

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #64 of 118
^ Nope. There seems to be a misplaced belief that the SRG cannot handle low impedance phones. There have been people that asked your question to Graham Slee and he responded that from the first Solo he designed he owned Grado headphones and took lower impedance phones into account.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #65 of 118
Well the questoin was if it drive low impedance headphones better then the old Solo. I know it´s a well received amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #66 of 118
Yeah well from what I have read it can drive them and people have had good results but I don't think the difference is big between the old and new SRG.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #67 of 118
Yup but you don´t own one you just wish you did
tongue.gif
. I don´t expect something dramatic if so we would see more that liked the first one and disliked this one and vice versa I believe. Will be interesting to hear how they compare later. I am getting the old one so I am in no hurry

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #69 of 118
Yup... but there is another the intro version which have Apatn branded on it
wink.gif
Maybe it´s the new SRG without the PSU1?

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #71 of 118
I just took a quick listen to the Solo SRG which only has 45 hours of burn in. I used a Grado RS-1 as well as a pair of Denons (D2000 and MarkL Modded D5000). All three sounded superb from the Solo SRG, even though during the burn-in I am using a switching psu.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #72 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup... but there is another the intro version which have Apatn branded on it
wink.gif
Maybe it´s the new SRG without the PSU1?

I believe the intro version is the old one without the PSU1 upgrade. And oh, I am so broke..
redface.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #74 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by kds5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrapped up my impressions/review of the SRG. See you guys when I return in May
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for that. Did you happen to own the previous version of the solo too? Your comparison to the Canamp it looks like it´s exactly what I am looking for if now most of this is valid for the old version too of course
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #75 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that. Did you happen to own the previous version of the solo too? Your comparison to the Canamp it looks like it´s exactly what I am looking for if now most of this is valid for the old version too of course
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I haven't heard the old Solo unfortunately. However, I'm sure the Solo signature didn't change with the new version so I'm pretty confident it'll apply to the old version too.

Listened to the Solo SRG after more than 2 weeks away from home. I know I've said this before, but it was immediately apparent that the SRG had a nicer bass-drum thump and deeper bass extension than my LD MK IV SE, although the mid-bass isn't as pronounced as the SE.

And the SRG remains as feet-tappingly musical as ever. It really has to be heard to be believed.

Was hoping that Miguel would have posted his impressions on the SRG by the time I got home - when are you going to give us your impressions Miguel?
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back